Reflections of BO

I just had a few things on my mind about Bo as the Head Coach. Now I know that he is a first year head coach but you would think that he would have learned how to handle things during his time as an assistant and situations better. The thing I am mostly taking about is the management of his timeouts. It seems like pretty much every timeout is called by our defense leaving our offense with no timeouts late in first halfs and at the end of games. Whenever someone gets the ball in the red zone we use a timeout on defense. Here lately the timeouts have done us nothing because the plays after timeouts our oppenent gets what they want either a first down or TD. I wish these were managed a bit better.

I also saw something very discouraging this past weekend. I believe it was in the second or third quarter Nebraska was down in the red zone and ganz threw a pass to Todd Peterson and Peterson was standing at a bout the 4 yard line wide open looking at Ganz and ganz threw it to him and then it was as though Peterson was not paying attention and just flat out missed the ball. I did not think that I would see that kind of play out of a team coached by Bo. Now i know this isnt really bo's fault but you cant be taking plays off or whatever peterson was doing on this play you gotta have your head in the game.

I also saw something very discouraging this past weekend. I believe it was in the second or third quarter Nebraska was down in the red zone and ganz threw a pass to Todd Peterson and Peterson was standing at a bout the 4 yard line wide open looking at Ganz and ganz threw it to him and then it was as though Peterson was not paying attention and just flat out missed the ball. I did not think that I would see that kind of play out of a team coached by Bo. Now i know this isnt really bo's fault but you cant be taking plays off or whatever peterson was doing on this play you gotta have your head in the game.

He was hardly standing there, he came out of his route a bit late and didn't get his head around. Joe then looked at him after the play and made a spinning motion with his hand telling him to turn his head. The announcers even mentioned he didn't get turned around.

That happens in football, especially with timing routes. Just be glad he didn't knock it up in the air to be picked off, that would have been devestating. :sarcasm

I agree with the timeouts in general, although at that point in the game it was far more important for us to stop MO from getting more points than give our team those T/O.

As for peterson....that has nothing to do with bo really. He's not even in charge of the offense really. I mean, he's HC so he is the final responsibility, but he's delegated that. It was just mistake. You see even the best schools make mistakes like that. Now the penalties on the other hand....thats bad.

As has been stated by the entire coaching staff, this is a work in progress. Evaluations are being performed on every play. The team can perform any and all things great in practice time after time, but during the game, when its all on the line....it is the mental errors and breakdowns that keep killing us.

Each play there is any number of errors being made. Can these guys not perform on the big stage? I don't know. Maybe not. But, as has been stated many times, these guys were left on their own for the BC regime and not coached...its like Pavlov's dogs....you beat the same message and teaching into them over and over again....they will finally get it.

Patience.

I have two things I've observed about Bo as a HC...one good and one not so good

The first thing...which I did not like...was during the VT game...with Nebraska on offense at the beginning of the 4th quarter and they happened to show a shot of Bo sitting back on the bench with his defensive squad diagramming something for them while plays were being run. I thought it was kind of odd that he wasn't up on the sideline keeping an eye on what was going on on the field. I know he was a DC and that his emphasis was always on the defensive side of the ball but as a head coach now, I was thinking he was paying too much attention to the D and relying on his staff to run the offense too much....

The second thing...which I DID like...was during the MU game. Helu ran a sweep to the left directly toward the NU sideline. Burkes was supposidly one of the lead blockers...but in name only. The end crashed behind him, the linebacker went by him on the right and a DB slipped by him on the left. The DB blew the TE up and the LB and DE crushed Helu for a loss of two or three. I don't think Burkes broke a sweat on that one. Didn't touch a soul...didn't even look like he WANTED to touch anybody. Unfortunately for Burkes it all unfolded directly in front of Pelini. Before the camera cut away you could see Bo running onto the field (he only had to take two steps, that's how close the play ended up in front of him) and right before they switched shots you could see him reach up, grab Burkes by the facemask and start pulling him off the field while getting right up in his face. I'm glad I try to concentrate on line play when I'm watching a game or I would have missed that...as it was, as the play was developing I was telling my son that Burkes was totally useless right then and that if I had blocked like that, my coaches would have kicked my ass....Once my son saw Bo come out on the field he said "Well...looks like 72 is going to get his ass kicked just like you said" I love it when a HC makes me look smart.

He'll be fine. Give him a couple of years...and maybe a valium once in a while.... <_<

I just had a few things on my mind about Bo as the Head Coach. Now I know that he is a first year head coach but you would think that he would have learned how to handle things during his time as an assistant and situations better. The thing I am mostly taking about is the management of his timeouts. It seems like pretty much every timeout is called by our defense leaving our offense with no timeouts late in first halfs and at the end of games. Whenever someone gets the ball in the red zone we use a timeout on defense. Here lately the timeouts have done us nothing because the plays after timeouts our oppenent gets what they want either a first down or TD. I wish these were managed a bit better.

In Solich's first year as head coach he had alot of problems with the timeouts and had trouble getting plays in at times forcing delay of game penalties. Solich had been an assistant for years and should have known the Nebraska system in and out. Being head coach is different and it takes time to get adjusted. Solich was much better his second year. I'm sure Coach Pelini will get it figured out as well.

While I do agree with you about the timing of some of the time out calls, I feel that the clock stoppage rules benefit the offense and the calling of time outs are better served during defensive play. On offense, one can always throw the ball away, run out of bounds, or obtain a first down to stop the clock. There's no such plays on defense and if your caught out of position or with the wrong unit on the field the results can be devastating. I'm not saying that I agree with the timing of Bo calling the TO's but I do think using them for defensive purposes is the right call. Also, I think we have a lot of other crap we need to be taking a look at and discussing other than the timing of TO's; mainly penalties, offense play calling, piss poor tackling, defensive miscommunication, and the lack of fire from the O-line!! Hopefully, the team is embarrased after the production they displayed last Sat. I know Bo expects a lot out of the team, as do many of us, and I just hope they play with more discipline and the results will improve. GBR!!!