Watson: Staff has great chemistry

From the Life in the Red blog on the LJS website

Who knew that in the fourth-quarter rubble of a Oct. 4 loss to Missouri that Nebraska discovered an identity on offense?

Shawn Watson said that's when Nebraska coaches decided to junk the heavy sets in favor of more of a spread look (fewer tight ends and one-back looks as opposed to two).

"We had to find our personality," Watson said after Saturday's 35-7 win over Iowa State in which the Huskers rolled up 548 yards.

Watson and Ted Gilmore were holdovers from the Bill Callahan staff. Watson said there was a transition period for the coaches.

"We've gone through a nice transition," Watson said. "We have great chemistry in the staff room."

Yes, it appears things are coming together offensively, although defenses will now begin to adjust accordingly.

"I can't let the defenses catch us," Watson said. "I have to stay ahead of them, man."

Good to hear. :koolaid2:

I realy have never had a problem with Watson's playcalling. He's basically running the same 5 or 6 plays out of 10 or 11 formations. It's like the West Coast for dummies. Safe passes...safe plays = small chunks of yardage at a time=win

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only thing I wish Coach Watson would change is those stupid plays when Joe tries to do too much with the ball instead of either take a sack or throw the ball away. I also wish they would tell him to tuck the ball and run more. In the Iowa State game he had several running lanes he could have taken off and got great yardage. Just my two cents on the subject.

The only thing I wish Coach Watson would change is those stupid plays when Joe tries to do too much with the ball instead of either take a sack or throw the ball away. I also wish they would tell him to tuck the ball and run more. In the Iowa State game he had several running lanes he could have taken off and got great yardage. Just my two cents on the subject.

Ummm...not trying to be critical or anything...BUT...I think your pointing out things Joe needs to change...not Watson. He's not on the field to make the plays. Also...I suspect Joe's been coached to pass first.

It seemed as if the offense got a little too relaxed yesterday in the second half. They had a chance to put the screws to that defense, but the play calling did not allow that to happen. It was great play calling that was made in the first half, but it did not continue. You cannot tell me that ISU made that many adjustments.....

I hope the offense continues to evolve and Joe can make big plays. It was a lot of fun to have a game like this where things were clicking on both sides of the ball.

Is anyone a little concerned that it took Watson this long to figure it out? He has been here for what, 3 years now, I would have thought he had a better idea of what was going on/what he wanted to do.

Even though Bo said he was letting Watson handle things, maybe there is some confliction between how Watson did his job under 2 coaches in 2 years. I'll give him the same chance as I give the players each week to improve and adapt to a new program.

Is anyone a little concerned that it took Watson this long to figure it out? He has been here for what, 3 years now, I would have thought he had a better idea of what was going on/what he wanted to do.

Watson may not have had much input or control before this season...

Truf.

I also wish they would tell him to tuck the ball and run more. In the Iowa State game he had several running lanes he could have taken off and got great yardage. Just my two cents on the subject.

To go along with that...

I wished he keep the ball a little more on those read option plays. Sometimes it seems as if sometimes that d-end is crashing so hard on the running back, and he could pick up a nice little 5 or 6 yards.

But then again, maybe they are just designed plays for the running back and not a read option at all...

At least Watson doesn't dial up a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 10 like the ISU coordinator did on Saturday.

When the offense wasn't clicking like it should have against VaTech and Mizery, I think that on Sunday after the Misery game, Bo's conversation went something like this.

Bo: Wats, fix the f*(&&(* offense! We couldn't stop a group of 3rd graders, and I need more time to fix this f*&%$& defense! You have better players than I do, use them!

Wats: YES SIR!

Wats spent the next 24 hours figuring out WTF to do, and he got it right.

BTW, Wats admitted he didn't call a very good 3rd qtr. Kudos to him for taking the heat. I think it was a combo of that and the offense coming out flat after KILLING ISU in the first half.

If Wats keeps this up, I will certainly be one happy dude!

This is good to hear and it's nice to have coaches that will take the blame for things rather than say something to the effect of, "I think we did some things well out there and the guys really showed heart, I think we learned some things, but excuted well on some things as well." Blah blah blah................I don't miss that crap.