OU vs. NU Memories

holvy83

Besides the Crouch catch for a TD, what other memories do you guys have about this rivalry?? Be interesting to find out how old people really are on here.

I will start, BIG 12 championship in 06, was at the game and saw first hand the start of the demise of the "Callahan Era". To me that was the beginning of the end for old Billy C, what a horrible coaching job to end that year. Plus it was cold as hell in KC <_<

Other than that, the only other memories I have are in the early to mid 90's before the Big 12 when we totally dominated, and the 80's can't say if they were on TV much?

My first game was NU/OU in 1993. I remember it was cold as could be, and I had to sit in the OU section. It was me and a friend of mine with a crapload of OU fans. Trev got hurt early in that game as well.

For the record I stormed the field that day.

What else do I remember good or bad:

Mickey Joseph getting pushed into the bench and getting hurt in 1990 (45-10 OU).

Damn Keith Jackson

Wistrom killing them in Lincoln in 1997.

Throat Slash (Damn Adrian Peterson)

Damn Mo Purify fumble.

Joel Makovickas TD in the 4th Qtr in 1995.

That game in 2000 when we jumped out 14-0 only to choke the rest of the way.

Wasn't it the Sandman snapping Charles Thompsons leg in half?

And my favorite: F***IN HILLBILLIES

I will start, BIG 12 championship in 06, was at the game and saw first hand the start of the demise of the "Callahan Era". To me that was the beginning of the end for old Billy C, what a horrible coaching job to end that year. Plus it was cold as hell in KC <_<

I was there, too. Sat in the freakin' snow and zero-degree temperatures to watch the Huskers lay an egg. :angry:

Besides the Crouch catch for a TD, what other memories do you guys have about this rivalry?? Be interesting to find out how old people really are on here.

Other than that, the only other memories I have are in the early to mid 90's before the Big 12 when we totally dominated, and the 80's can't say if they were on TV much?

Good: Sorry, I really can remember anything but the Crouch catch, but honestly, that would be my pick for any team or any memory.

Bad: Game in Norman in 00'...watching the Huskers Jump ahead 14-0 in the first quarter only to watch them get soundly beatin the entire rest of the game....

Some of my earliest husker memories involve going with my mom and dad to some guys house to watch a game, and hearing "Tom just can't beat these guys."

I used to hear "wishbone" all the time when i was young, and how NU can't stop it. I had no idea what the hell they were talking about. I just wanted the Huskers to win!

I remember what a thorn OU was for Osborne during the Switzer years. OU, during most of those years, clearly had more talent. In fact, Osborne for the most part didn't have great talent until the Frazier/Frost years. The only teams that had great talent before -- which were all on offense -- were those Rozier, Fryer and Gill teams of '82 and '83. The '87 team was probably better than most, but again you saw the talent gap with OU. I remember the time after Osborne finally defeated OU in '78, he losses to Missouri the next week and had to play OU again in the Orange Bowl -- and losses.

I was also at the game in '93. It was f'n cold and Trev getting hurt early really quieted the crowd for about all of a minute. For the rest of the game it was like the NU players and fans were pissed cause the injury to Trev looked like it could have been intentional. Loudest and funnest game I have ever been to.

Best memory...Game of the Century 1971. Watched it in our living room with a lot of family and friends.

Al Gore was working on the Internet in his garage but probably in the first beta test so we didn't have message boards to 'communicate' with our rivals. But, OKC had a radio station that breathed fire, especially when it was sundown and came in clear all over the midwest. They dedicated the entire week to 'smack' talk between fans of both schools and it wasn't as civilized as it is now since we have the internet. LOL

On the other hand, the wife and I planned our wedding around the game vs OU in 1977 and it was played the Friday after Thanksgiving, the afternoon before our wedding party dinner the eve of the service. OU absolutely blew us out and put a damper on the grooms dinner. At least one Husker knew how to score that weekend.

And one more memory of MANY from this series both in Lincoln and Norman...Army Husker will remember this...when President Kennedy was assissinated in 1963 it was the first time we had lost a sitting President in many many years and the first time since we had network television (ABC, NBC, CBS, and maybe NETV). It was along time before FoxNews, CNN, CSPAN, et al. All 3 networks chose to show non-stop coverage of every move made by anyone regarding the march to the President's final resting place...the ambassadors flooding into the country to attend services, hung on every word by LBJ, looking for needles in the haystack in Dallas for leads on the assassin, etc. ALL network programming was pre-empted.

All sports schedules were postponed except...The OU - NU game went on as scheduled and at that time had RECORD viewership because the Nation needed a breather before the final service and burial at Arlington National.

My how times have changed over the last 45 years with all of the media options! And may we never lose another sitting President as the Nation came together as a family that week to attend the funeral from our living rooms.

I remember the 1971 Game of the Century, although very vaguely. I remember people being REALLY happy.

Also:

Losses in '74 and '75 (OU's NC years) that we were never in.

Heartbreaking loss in '76 - Elvis Peacock (even Switzer's players had cocky names ) on the hook and ladder.

Retribution in Lincoln in '78 - HUGE hit on Kelly Phelps (he woke up on Tuesday, maybe even Thursday :horns2 )on the kickoff after taking the lead. We recovered the fumble, but the ref mistakenly called Phelps out before.

1980: Buster Rhymes making "Sooner Magic" - yet again.

1981-1983 - NU FINALLY taking it to OU, the margin getting bigger each year, it seemed.

1988 : Sandman eating Charles Thompson's leg for dinner.

1990: Mickey Joesph eating the bench. Finished right then and there.

1991: I was at this game: The "We-backs," Derek brown and Calvin Jones. Keithen McCant fumbling, then picked the ball up and tossed a TD to Johnny Mitchell - in the rain.

1992: In Norman, on their awful, ratty carpet. This game laid the foundation for the 4-3 defense in 1993. We were having trouble stopping them in the first half. Then mid-2nd qtr, NU just kept the dime package in and it confused OU. We actually got some sacks and turnovers. We actually took the lead by half, and went on to win 33-9 or something like that. It was pretty convincing.

1993: I listened to this game at work - when I could. Trev got hurt, and I thought, "We're done." Minter saved that game, as did Frazier. He threw a rope for a TD late to seal it. Realized we might give FSU a game.

1994: LP carrying the team, Turman at QB, Frazier wearing #17.

1995: Last Big 8 game. Kicking drunken Schnellenberger's A$$! I think the line was in the 20s, and we covered!

1996: John Blake was OUs coach, and we hung 70+ on them.

1997: Scored 69 on them.

2001: Stuntz to Crouch.

2006: Purify's fumble set the tone.

My first vague memory is the 47-0 loss in 1968.

1970, an interception in the end zone on the last play to beat OU by 7.

JR's punt return and Jeff Kinney's 4 TDs in the game of the century.

Elvis Peacock on the hook and ladder sometime in the 70s, and some real blowout losses around then. Having to listen to some of those games on radio since OU was on probation, no TV for them.

Billy Sims fumbles inside the 5 in 1978, Sooner magic is broken.

Buster Rhymes breaks our hearts in 1980, my first NU-OU game in person. I watched that final drive from the sidelines, waiting to rush the field after our late 4th quarter score.

1981, the Mauer Miracle blowout win.

1982, the Bouncearooskie (Gill bounces a barely backward pass to Fryar to look like an incompletion, OU isn't fooled but Fryar still hits Mitch Krenk in stride for a big gain). Scott Strasburger seals the win with an INT and I take 3 steps onto the field, and get back off when Osborne furiously waves us all off the field. At 0:00 we storm the field, and nearly get killed when the damn goalpost falls and pins me to the ground. Luckily some others pulled me out.

1983, the defense steps up and breaks up 2 passes in the end zone from the 10 to hold off OU and keep the unbeaten season alive, in a cold, cold rain that turns to ice and snow on the drive back.

1984, we get stuffed inside the 1 late in the 4th quarter.