BCS

chamrocck

BCS is getting interesting. Two teams lost today that I was sort of glad to see go down because I didn't think they were deserving of being in the Final 2. Georgia has been overrated all year. And Texas is good but I don't think they are a national championship caliber team this year. Texas Tech is interesting...they have a very tough schedule remaining and I don't expect them to continue undefeated...if they do make it, then that will have been a fate like season with narrow escapes beating Nebraska and Texas. Sometimes teams like that just have magical runs and so far Texas Tech is doing that.

I wish Penn St. would lose because I expect they will get whacked if they are in the final 2. I don't think Penn St. could beat Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, or Texas Tech. USC has the easiest road so if these teams knock each other out they may get there. Florida has a pretty easy road now also except for SEC championship which they can win. Oklahoma may not lose again this year and they may make it but they still have some tough games. I think Texas Tech will lose at some point. Alabama has to get through LSU still and the SEC championship. I am calling that they won't make it through...their signature win is vs. an overrated Georgia team IMO.

I think the final 2 will come from Penn St., USC, Florida, and Oklahoma. I hope Penn St. is not there because it will be a blowout. IMO USC, Florida, and OU are the best teams in the country (right now anyway). :)

Carroll's a crybaby. I forget who it was I was listening to, but they made the best point. USC should've taken care of business and not tank against Oregon State. You can say they can't be blamed for playing in a weak conference, but they sure can be blamed for losing a game in a weak conference. Teams with a loss shouldn't be complaining about not getting their shot. If they get one, they should feel lucky, at least in this system.

He makes one good point though. I once asked an AP voter about the voting criteria, and he said they weren't given any criteria like "best at this time" vs. "best all-season" or anything like that. They just are told to fill in 1 through 25. But maybe Pete should try to have his team play great all season, instead of trying to figure out when he has to play great to make the pollsters happy. And by the way Petey, dominating the lightweights of the state of Washington that everyone plows under, and struggling with Arizona? You're not that great.

As far as the computer goes, maybe he could find someone that attends classes at USC to explain it to him. The basic concept is not that hard. Of course it takes into account, to the degree it can, how good the other team is. Unfortunately there's too much it can't account for, like injuries. If Harrell and Crabtree get hurt, it's still the same Tech team you get credit for playing that Texas faced last week. Plus, the BCS people made the computer rankers dumb down their ratings a few years ago, but forcing them to remove margin of victory as a factor. That's not the worst idea, because giving up a garbage TD late makes an easy game look closer, and it encouraged running up the score. But it makes a 56-0 game look the same as 3-0.

I don't like including the computers that much, but it does provide some kind of unbiased sanity check. And notice how many times the unbiased computers have USC a lot lower than the possibly biased human polls.

Watched a lot of football today. My observations:

Penn State - so glad they lost as they now can't be in BCS final...they would have gotten drilled. :rickjames

Alabama - is good :hellloooo but that LSU QB :dumdum was not going to win that game.

USC - their defense is downright scary :ohnoes but it will be hard for them to reach BCS final though.

Texas Tech - props to you :thumbs wow can't believe NU should have beat them! :madash

Oklahoma - continues to roll. :zoom

Florida - awesome display of football :worship I think they can beat Alabama.

Texas - good team :horns2 but I don't think they are good enough this year to win the whole thing.

Texas beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech beat Texas, what if Oklahoma beats Texas Tech and all those teams have one loss...who wins the Big 12 South? :dunno

This is why college football is the best. Every week there is a playoff atmosphere! :w00t

Alabama - is good :hellloooo but that LSU QB :dumdum was not going to win that game.

USC - their defense is downright scary :ohnoes but it will be hard for them to reach BCS final though.

Texas Tech - props to you :thumbs wow can't believe NU should have beat them! :madash

I was thinking much the same thing, especially about the 3 things I quoted.

In fairness to LSU, they were counting on Perriloux still being around, but they ought to have someone who can hit the right colored jersey.

USC's defense hits harder than anyone I've ever seen. They've got the speed to fly to the ball, and they all bring the wood. A receiver knows he is going to get smacked every time he goes up for a pass. But the offense wasn't that impressive. The first TD was very questionable, so it could've been a 3-3 or 6-3 game most of the way.

It is a lot of fun, but I hate hearing announcers say "We don't need a playoff--we've essentially already got elimination games here." Herbie loves to claim that. The problem is, some teams essentially get a bye. Penn State happened to lose to bye this week. Not the same as what Bama and TT had to get past.

• 3 weeks later...

Another BCS Mess! :lol:

So after all of this we are probably looking at OU vs. the Alabama/Florida winner for the title.

My latest observations:

OU is playing better than Texas right now but I have to say Texas got jobbed as they beat OU head to head. I was watching the OU/Okie State game last night with my dad and brother-in-law...the whole game we were agreeing that OU was not able to put Okie State away and thus their effort should not put them ahead of Texas...that game was actually close most of the game. Then OU gets some cheap scores at the end and wins by 20...I was the only one saying that look out now because the final score makes it look worse than actual game was...but my dad and brother-in-law kept saying no chance because Okie State played them close and OU gave up a ton of points also even though they won. Sure enough I was right as OU goes ahead of Texas and I see Stoops on TV saying we beat Okie State by 20...as if they dominated them...gimme a break! :LOLtartar

I am taking Florida over Alabama.

Dare I say that maybe I should root for the hated Mizzery and Booger Daniel? I think I am going to have to root for them. I am thinking that neither OU or Texas can win it all this year...to beat good teams they have to outgun them and neither are going to put up huge points on either Florida or Alabama. Maybe if OU loses, we can have Florida vs. USC (I actually think this would be the best game anyway). USC would be a conference winner whereas Texas didn't even win their conference (sound familiar?). If Mizzery wins the Big 12 Championship would OU get completely knocked out of BCS? Would BCS really take all three...Mizzery, OU, and Texas? Hmmm...if that happens maybe OU and Texas should just have a special Cotton Bowl rematch... :laughpound

So Mizzou does not even show up tonight...nice 15 minutes of fame Mizzou...I think Mizzou is on the way back down. This was to be one of the best Mizzou team's ever and NU is likely going to a better bowl than Mizery! Daniel is a system QB and won't sniff the NFL. Coffman is gone. Maclin likely gone as his stock will never be higher. OU was able to pressure Daniel (and Harrell in the Texas Tech game) and thus made Mizzou's and Texas Tech's offenses look pedestrian. These gimmick offenses are only so good and get blown up when facing tough defenses with good athletes.

I still think Florida is the best team in the country. OU, TX, and USC are the next tier. Alabama had a heck of a season. My early prediction is Florida 38, Oklahoma 31 for the title. Oklahoma will need to put together an insane defensive game plan to stop Florida and win. OU will score but Florida's defense will be able to slow them enough to win. Should be a good game.

• 4 weeks later...

Good game tonight. I thought Florida would win but I expected more points from both teams...maybe like a 38-31 Florida win. As I said before, I think Florida vs. USC would have been the best match-up this year and I think those two teams were the best teams this year. I would vote Florida #1, USC #2, Utah #3, Texas #4, and Oklahoma #5.

Tonight I wasn't sure who I was going to root for and what happened was that I found myself rooting for both offenses, especially Tebow and Bradford. I like both of these QB's and enjoy watching them (I like both of these guys as QB's better than McCoy). Tebow just wills his way to victory and it is awesome to see...I think USC's defense could wear him down maybe and that would be a great match-up. Bradford did well tonight but the OU management of the ball in the red zone killed them, thus the Chokelahoma moniker will continue to stick as they lose 5 straight BCS games. Trying to pound the ball near the goal line when Florida's defense was stacked up like that was stupid. They should have gotten the 3 on that first drive. On the second drive, Bradford threw a mistake and it was costly right before half. The contrast between Meyer and Stoops was on full display. Meyer was smug and calm while Stoops was tense and whiny. Whenever I saw Stoops and Venables I rooted for Florida as those guys are annoying. You can see them both just unravel in big games. IMO OU is not at the caliber of players or coaches that Florida and USC are at (Meyer vs. Carroll would be epic).

A good year...I have no problem with Florida...they should have been there and they won. They are #1. OU got in and some other good teams were left out. If Texas was there, Florida beats them as well. Florida would beat Utah also. Florida vs. USC is a pick 'em IMO.