Empty seats?

NUpolo8

Dr. Tom has spoken on this subject:

“So I don’t know how to interpret it, but we may have to take a look at it. I think we have enough demand that we could certainly sell those tickets at the regular price next year if the students don’t want to come.”

So...students....you want to keep your seat next year, you better make damn sure that someone is sitting in them. :horns2

A couple years ago, the Nebraska Bookstore had a crappy run trying to get season ticket holders to part with tickets to give to veterans. Maybe they would have better luck getting tickets from the students during their "boycott" over the seating movement.

BTW, Happy Veteran's Day out there to the vets on our board.

Here's what I don't get:

1) Students who never went to the game: when did you get so rich that you didn't bother to sell your ticket for a tidy profit?

2) Students who left at halftime: if you had enough interest to go to the game and found the Huskers playing well in a tight contest against a favored rival, what possessed you to leave?

3) Dr. Osborne, the students at the University have a legitimate gripe about seating, so going on record as saying "Gee, if the students don't like it, I suppose we could sell more of their seats to fertilizer salesmen from Utica" reaks of the passive-aggressive. Big Willie's chart is pretty sobering on the subject, and Dr. Tom might want to sound less like an old lady trying to make her children feel guilty.

Give me the seats T.O.......I need five (for the kids and wife) and put us in the nose bleed if need be! We will freeze our azzzes off and will scream until our lungs explode!!!

I can't believe anyone can give up an opportunity to be in Memorial Stadium on a Saturday! PERIOD!

I need to get off the board and come down....... :bang

:yeah I would love to have season tickets, but reality is the list is so long it's easier for me to buy them off of ebay and get raked over the coals.

just wondering 'Topeka', do you have some pull? you must realize that having students near the field and near our own sideline simply makes it better?

I don't have any more "pull' than those that write big checks to the U and get their opinions heard. But by chance I did get to sit next to Tom Osborne at an event hosted by the alumni assoiciation last month in Lincoln. But I'm sure TO will always remember me for writing a letter to him and telling him I was President of the Southwest Topeka Nebraska Alumni Club and he was our 'Coach of the Year' and all he had to do was beat KU and KSU every year. He did it but Frank Solich broke the streaks. But more seriously...

And yes, I've noticed that KU and K State moved their student bodies behind the benches of the visiting football schools in recent years. And no, we'll never move our faithful fans in the west stadium out to make room for our students there so we pull a switch and move the benches to put the visitors on the east side in front of band (and newly reinstuted student section above them) .

The next time you watch any college football games on tv take this little subtle hint on how different schools place their students in their stadiums.

There was a terrific discussion on this topic months ago on BRB.

I hope they don't mind me bringing up some of the stats and graphics from other there.

Stats:

Nebraska has the 4th biggest stadium in the B12, bug the 4th lowest student ticket allotment.

In terms of % of the stadium that is covered by the students, Nebraska has the 2nd lowest of all B12 teams.

In graphical form ..

School Allotment Stadium Capacity % Of Stadium

Texas A&M 30,000 82,600 36.32

Texas 20,000 85,123 23.50

Colorado 12,000 53,750 22.33

Texas Tech 11,662 53,000 22.00

Baylor 10,000 50,000 20.00

Missouri 10,000 68,349 14.63

Oklahoma St 9,758* 50,614 19.28

Kansas St 9,000 52,200 17.24

Nebraska 8,500 81,067 10.49

Oklahoma 8,000 82,112 9.74

Iowa St 7,800 55,000 14.18

Kansas 7,064 50,071 14.11

And to compare an even more national perspective, a much larger table that I don't feel like copying. Numbers are a bit dated, but it gives a general feel ..

http://www.hokietickets.com/student/footba...allotments.html

--------

For visual comparison to how we seat our students compared to other schools ..

*credit for most to jiggajwheels from BRB

*note: could not find student seating chart for Baylor or Texas

Nebraska:

fixednew.jpg

Texas A&M:

atmstudents.gif

KSU:

ksustudents.gif

Oklahoma:

oklahoma.jpg

Missouri:

mustudents.gif

Colorado:

custudents.gif

Kansas:

kustudents.gif

Texas Tech:

2egb8tv.gif

Oklahoma State:

BPS-web-ticket-chart-2008.png

Iowa State:

CGYUXITDNEDNSVJ.20080729133020.gif

Florida:

florida.jpg

--------------

Now call me crazy, but I think our students have a bit of a reason to feel a bit disrespected as compared to other students around the country.

What this picture is NOT showing is the seating on the north end of the stadium...there is more student seating up there if I am not mistaking....