Empty seats?

NUpolo8

Not here to bash anyone. Just an objective question. When you talk about standing at a game, are you talking about, for example, when you have a 4th and short, when our defense is against the wall near our endzone and we want to see the play, or to stand up and cheer after a great play? These and others are examples when it is appropriate to stand.

But what is wrong, and I am not talking about the student section but the whole stadium, is when a fan stands the whole game, and you have an 80-year-old fan behind you who doesn't have the energy to stand the whole game and can't see. Please don't tell me -- and I am not directing this at anyone specifically -- that the old person should have to stay home not come and "see" the game, too. Older and less healthy fans should be able to see the field and not be blocked the whole time. Just because it's very hard for some fans to stand the whole game doesn't mean he or she should be excluded from attending. It's a give and take situation folks.

You are right about people need to be respectful for the people behind them. I try to be and yes there are many times throughout the game that I had to sit down. I had two back surgeries in the past two an a half years and I can't stand the whole time either. I would never try starting a fight because someone else wants to, but i would politely ask them if they would sit down for a bit only if the situation was right. I am the same way many people are when they get excited at a game they want to jump and cheer that's fine, but yes we do need to respect the fact that some 80 year people even want to attend the game and that they probably paid their dues and then some.

Ummm...hate to break it to everyone, but without students, this football program wouldn't exist. Last time I checked this was a UNIVERSITY football program. So therefore, you need a UNIVERSITY with STUDENTS in order to have the football team. They may not pay for all the seats in the stadium, but they do pay for tuition, books, and all that other crap to keep the University alive and well.

Besides, why are we having the argument of "we are better fans than you"? It's stupid. To me, it sounds like BOTH sides need to grow up.

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

What they are paying for is their education. It is well known that this football program supports itself, and other sports programs that don't support themselves. As far as "needing" the students to buy tickets and attend the games, this is one program that probably could get by without selling a single ticket to a student and still sell out. If a student is going to buy his ticket, I think that what everyone is getting at is that he should at least either attend the game, or sell/give it to someone that will attend the game, therefore supporting HIS university.

While on a basic level of dollars and cents you are 100% correct, Michael's point reaches beyond just who funds the program. Quite simply without the need to educate the students in NE, a football team would not exist. The students are the reason UNL exists and hence the football team. If the football team is a form of university representation to others outside the local supporters, you would think that the students would take an active roll in supporting them.

Ummm...hate to break it to everyone, but without students, this football program wouldn't exist. Last time I checked this was a UNIVERSITY football program. So therefore, you need a UNIVERSITY with STUDENTS in order to have the football team. They may not pay for all the seats in the stadium, but they do pay for tuition, books, and all that other crap to keep the University alive and well.

Besides, why are we having the argument of "we are better fans than you"? It's stupid. To me, it sounds like BOTH sides need to grow up.

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

What they are paying for is their education. It is well known that this football program supports itself, and other sports programs that don't support themselves. As far as "needing" the students to buy tickets and attend the games, this is one program that probably could get by without selling a single ticket to a student and still sell out. If a student is going to buy his ticket, I think that what everyone is getting at is that he should at least either attend the game, or sell/give it to someone that will attend the game, therefore supporting HIS university.

While on a basic level of dollars and cents you are 100% correct, Michael's point reaches beyond just who funds the program. Quite simply without the need to educate the students in NE, a football team would not exist. The students are the reason UNL exists and hence the football team. If the football team is a form of university representation to others outside the local supporters, you would think that the students would take an active roll in supporting them.

Say it ain't so...!!!! :sarcasm

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

I deserved that, but I figured since you made the leap to imply the football team didn't need the students I would go back to the basic level to dispute that.

Ummm...okay? So you are saying that we could still have a college football team without the university? Wow, that would be amazing! I wonder what the NCAA would have to say about that...

Caveman is correct. That's what I was getting at.

GO TO THE GAMES YOU LITTLE PUKES OR I WILL PULL OUT YOUR PUBES.

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get were those big yellow ones..."

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

I deserved that, but I figured since you made the leap to imply the football team didn't need the students I would go back to the basic level to dispute that.

Anytime I get into a discussion about season tickets and the list to get them it always comes down to economics...

So, fair is fair, when it comes down to who actually fills the stadium, the university could take the stance that they would go for selling the tickets in the student section (since the students won't use them anyway) for a higher dollar, and still sell out the stadium. All the university would be doing is facilitating the football programs need for players...otherwise it would strictly be a business thing - education would have nothing to do with it, other than giving the students a basic lesson in Economics 101. The basic fact is that they know they could sell out the stadium and not have a single student in the stands. So, YOU students listen up...if you are going to abuse the fact that you get to buy those tickets in front of the average Joe the Plumber and then not use them, don't get all pissy when the university decides to move the students up higher in the stands, or even cut the number of student seats that there are. If you aren't going to fill those seats, they may just take seats away from your allotment and sell them at higher rate or to someone that is willing to donate money to the university, because if you are paying a high price to get those tickets, you are more likely to show up.

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

Anytime I get into a discussion about season tickets and the list to get them it always comes down to economics...

So, fair is fair, when it comes down to who actually fills the stadium, the university could take the stance that they would go for selling the tickets in the student section (since the students won't use them anyway) for a higher dollar, and still sell out the stadium. All the university would be doing is facilitating the football programs need for players...otherwise it would strictly be a business thing. The basic fact is that they know they could sell out the stadium and not have a single student in the stands. So, YOU students listen up...if you are going to abuse the fact that you get to buy those tickets in front of the average Joe the Plumber and then not use them, don't get all pissy when the university decides to move the students up higher in the stands, or even cut the number of student seats that there are. If you aren't going to fill those seats, they may just take seats away from your allotment and sell them at higher rate or to someone that is willing to donate money to the university.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiments either. In fact above I mentioned that since the Football team is a direct representation of the University, I would hope the students would take a heated interest in going and supporting the team. I agree it is a bit shameful for students not to support their team. I don't think the University would ever stoop that low. The students being at the games is afterall a representation of what College Football is all about.

caveman99' Nov 10 2008, 02:51 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiments either. In fact above I mentioned that since the Football team is a direct representation of the University, I would hope the students would take a heated interest in going and supporting the team. I agree it is a bit shameful for students not to support their team. I don't think the University would ever stoop that low. The students being at the games is afterall a representation of what College Football is all about.

I would hope they wouldn't stoop that low...under Ped I know they would have done it, and was on the way to possibly doing it. I would like to see more students at the game...because they are much more vocal than us old farts can be sometimes, even though sometimes I don't like the language or name calling I have heard at times. I wouldn't want to see it turn into a CU sort of thing, where it is nothing but a party and a competition to see who can out-do their friends in being an idiot.

Tickets are hard to come by, especially in the good times, students need to respect that fact. But they should also be the first in line to support their team, behind the alumni. Sometimes I scratch my head because I just don't see that for the most part. There are other universities where the students fervor to support their team is much more than it is at Nebraska...especially at the SEC or Big 10 schools.

I would guess that the students that are members of this board, and regularly engage in the discussions are not the average student when it comes to supporting the team. But, not being a total idiot, I know that the regulars that aren't students aren't the average person either...just to be fair. YOU students need to do what you can to fire up your fellow students, and educate them on the traditions of the university, so they will support it in a positive and meaningful manner.

:restore

real simple, use them or lose them. thousands of fans are out there willing to snatch them up.

It's funny listening to college kids bitch and moan about how difficult college is. Wait until graduation. That's when it's going to hit the fan boys and girls.

I just got my tax bill and swallowed my tongue! Gotta pick up cans for my kids tuition! Go figure

GBR!

I've heard two different things in regards to this, but I'm not at a game so I cannot be for sure on either.

1.) The students move down closer to the field and it essentially becomes standing room only in the lower levels of the student section during the game

2.) Some students are still PO'd about the way the AD treated them during the seating arrangement, so they are just not showing up

In a way, I can understand #2 if it were true. Although it is completely idiotic if they were to really think about it. The AD did bend them over and not even spit on it during this. But they don't realize the AD will not cater to them and just sell these tickets since more are willing to buy those seats in an instant.

Honestly, our AD needs to end some of this and move some students behind the visitors bench to give us more of a home field advantage. Lets be honest -- a majority of the noise inside any stadium is made by the student section. By putting our student section in the corner of the end zone, it takes away what could potentially be even more of an advantage for us.

I know it will never happen since the AD makes so much money off of those seats, but they are taking away a stadium advantage for a few more bucks from some donors.

I've heard two different things in regards to this, but I'm not at a game so I cannot be for sure on either.

1.) The students move down closer to the field and it essentially becomes standing room only in the lower levels of the student section during the game

2.) Some students are still PO'd about the way the AD treated them during the seating arrangement, so they are just not showing up

In a way, I can understand #2 if it were true. Although it is completely idiotic if they were to really think about it. The AD did bend them over and not even spit on it during this. But they don't realize the AD will not cater to them and just sell these tickets since more are willing to buy those seats in an instant.

Honestly, our AD needs to end some of this and move some students behind the visitors bench to give us more of a home field advantage. Lets be honest -- a majority of the noise inside any stadium is made by the student section. By putting our student section in the corner of the end zone, it takes away what could potentially be even more of an advantage for us.

I know it will never happen since the AD makes so much money off of those seats, but they are taking away a stadium advantage for a few more bucks from some donors.

Are you questioning Tom Osborne?!?!

how could this happen?! if I was at NU I would go to every game. The cold!? Seriously!? I LISTENED on the radio at 2am in the morning when I lived in europe. What a bunch of whiny little b***s. I'm having a hard time believing this is even true as every game I've gone too (even last year) was jammed full and the student section was always awesome.

Are you questioning Tom Osborne?!?!

I should clarify by AD, I mean Athletic Department. But since Tom Osborne is over it, then yes, I am in a way.

*ducks and covers*