Helmet to Helmet?

:bang the bones could have easily held KSUck to 21 or maybe 14 if had it not been for the down right trash officiating...did anyone else see the block in the back on the kick return?! holy moses that was ridiculous...the ref was to worried about getting his fat a** in gear to the endzone that he paid no attention...i guess 5 yards away is an understandable amount of distance to not have been able to see the block.... :sarcasm

Yeah I saw that too. He got our guy in the back no doubt, but was kind of a push. I woulda called it since I think our guy coulda tackled him if he hadn't been pushed.

I noticed the ref was talking back and forth with Potter for a minute before he called the PF...curious as to what ref was saying, and Potter to for that matter. I don't see how the ref could've explained it was the right thing to call.

Good hit...bad call.

That same ref also patted him on the leg, as to say he new it was a close call, and don't worry about it.

GBR!!!

I noticed the ref was talking back and forth with Potter for a minute before he called the PF...curious as to what ref was saying, and Potter to for that matter. I don't see how the ref could've explained it was the right thing to call.

Good hit...bad call.

That same ref also patted him on the leg, as to say he new it was a close call, and don't worry about it.

GBR!!!

Well, in no way was Potter trying to go helmet to helmet, it was a great tackle, just happened that Freeman sorta bent a little to throw and their heads collided. Potter was going for his chest as far as I could tell.

:bang the bones could have easily held KSUck to 21 or maybe 14 if had it not been for the down right trash officiating...did anyone else see the block in the back on the kick return?! holy moses that was ridiculous...the ref was to worried about getting his fat a** in gear to the endzone that he paid no attention...i guess 5 yards away is an understandable amount of distance to not have been able to see the block.... :sarcasm

Yeah I saw that too. He got our guy in the back no doubt, but was kind of a push. I woulda called it since I think our guy coulda tackled him if he hadn't been pushed.

Exceptions to illegal block in the back:

2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has

committed himself in intent and direction or movement.

I think this is why it wasn't called

Exceptions to illegal block in the back:

2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has

committed himself in intent and direction or movement.

I think this is why it wasn't called

Prolly right, he was turned all the way around. Wasn't a huge push anyway, stayed on his feet.

Yeah. Don't try and skew this. Their helmets definitely hit. That pic was after they hit and his head was bouncing off.

But I'm not in support of the personal foul call. When a 6'7" guy tackles a 6'6" guy...aren't their helmets going to hit 95% of the time if a 'good fundamental hard tackle' is made on a QB? But, if Potter goes low and get his legs he's going to miss or get called for going at the knees.

Yeah. Don't try and skew this. Their helmets definitely hit. That pic was after they hit and his head was bouncing off.

But I'm not in support of the personal foul call. When a 6'7" guy tackles a 6'6" guy...aren't their helmets going to hit 95% of the time if a 'good fundamental hard tackle' is made on a QB? But, if Potter goes low and get his legs he's going to miss or get called for going at the knees.

How about the chest or abdomen, or thighs? About ANY contact to a QB's head is gonna get called. AND, if you fall on a QB out of bounds like SUH did against VT, they are gonna call it.

I don't think anyone can realistically argue that QBs in general don't get hit ALOT otherwise. They proabably take more of the hardest direct hits than anyone on the field. I mean, the BLACKSHIRTS laid some nasty hits on Reesing last week and Freeman this week. :box

I think the Big XII & NCAA has to take a look at the officiating after this season!!! To many questionable calls are hurting the game.

Protecting the Quarterback is taking away to much from the competition of the game. If it was a legal hit or not.......Freeman I am sure was thinking twice about sitting in the pocket with pressure coming.

:bonez

I think the Big XII & NCAA has to take a look at the officiating after this season!!! To many questionable calls are hurting the game.

Protecting the Quarterback is taking away to much from the competition of the game. If it was a legal hit or not.......Freeman I am sure was thinking twice about sitting in the pocket with pressure coming.

:bonez

I think they def. need to review that new face mask rule. I think the old rule was better. I still don't understand the play clock changes AND kicking off from the 30 is bad cuz it's sets the Os up on the 30+ yd line--usually-- and the Os already have too many advantages.

The one I think that I hate the most is the hit on a defenseless receiver. When a receiver is overthrown over the middle, a punishing hit is a key tool to stopping the passing game. Lay a lick, and give the receiver alligator arms next time. Many hall-of-fame safeties have made a career by saying to the receiver, "You may catch it, but you're going to pay the price." In fact, it is sacrifice that makes this game great. Eating right, working out 6-7 days a week, and practicing. Doing whatever it takes to ensure that you can give all you can to your team. Keyshaun Johnson used to be revered for his courage to go over the middle. Now, any receiver can, because they don't have to take the hits.

Babying qb's is trash, as well. They are still football players. Protecting the knees, I understand, but a call like this is excessive. Potter made a great play and delivered a vicious, but legal hit. It's a team game. The OL's have to protect the qb. The qb has to make good decisions and deliver the ball in a timely manner. The receiver must catch it. A footballl team is the sum of its parts. Like Polamalu said earlier this year, some of the greatest players in the history of the game would struggle to play within the rules of today. :rant

I don't think so...

img8425dn9.jpg

You can see the members of the band in between the helmets of Freeman and Potter. Horrible call that could of cost us right before the half.

That photo is AFTER contact was made and Freeman's head is lashing back, creating the space. Just look at the film. Was definitely helmet to helmet.

great photo by the way, took it at the right time.