WHo was the BEST NU QB ever?

1 - Frazier

2- Turner Gill

3- Tagge

Gdowski has always been one of my favorite Nebraska Qb's. Him and McCant, were underated qb's.

Uh, I must have missed the Gdowski years--uh hmmmm, YEAR. I remember the name though.

I was 'away' that year.

To those praising Frazier's passing ability..

sure he had a cannon, but how in the hell does he finish his career with a completion percentage less than 50% in a heavily run-based offense, when any time we did pass it it was almost always a play-action pass with a receiver way the hell open?

I don't understand why people don't at least mention Crouch in company with Frazier, because I think Crouch is easily the second best QB in NU history and I personally don't think it's close, but I still give it to Frazier.

Someone mentioned best passers, but left out Bruce Mathison. Dude would come in to spell Gill and throw frozen ropes like an All-American, too bad he couldn't run. To make sure I had the name spelled correctly I googled his name and it came up on a website touting the top 25 quarterback university's. Guess who finished ahead of Alabama (Starr, Namath, Stabler, Todd etc,), Miami (Mira, Kelly, Testaverde, Kosar) and Purdue (Griese, Len Dawson, Mike Phipps,Mark Herrmann, Jim Everett (Chrissie to J. Rome), Drew Brees)? Yes, Nebraska! No. 8 on the list. It was our running qb's that put us high on the list, of course.

Thought it was interesting it took so long for someone to mention Steve Taylor. What no Dennis Claridge?

More comments on Brook Berringer. 1st of all, he was a BACKUP--to Tommie Frazier of all people. That's like Matt Cassel backing up Leinhart and that other guy(Palmer?). Yeah, I know, Cassel is now proving to be the better pro QB.

2nd, NE was a triple option team and Brook didn't have alot of wheels; he was 'servicible in that regard. So, Brook never really got his due. I remember those few games in '94(?) when Brook was the starter cuz TF had the blood clotting issue going on.

I think his first start was against CO which was about #4 or so, NE #1, and it was like,' :wtf , I hope Berringer doesn't screw this up for us'. The prevailing attitude was that our D was gonna have to win the game for us and just have Brook hand off the ball and make simple passes. And that's pretty much how the game went as NE won a fairly low scoring game.

He held things together alright vs Miami that year, but is was very clear that if we didn't get Tommie in there we weren't going to win that game, hence the NC.

:point ,well, a few have thrown his name up as one of our best but I don't think you can go there. We will never know. The guy had some very good potential as a passer is about all you can say. It's also a testimony to the strength of the entire team those few years, especially our D which was probably the best we've ever fielded.

Brook was a great backup is about all you can say and a very courageous one at that. He would have been a starter on many other pass oriented teams.

Honorable mention to Brook. He didn't lose it for us. :clap

best running QB- Tommie Frazier

best passing QB- Zac Taylor , Brook Berringer, ... or Ferragamo

best all around QB- Turner Gill

i'd be more confident with that had i seen Ferragamo play and more than a few highlights of Turner Gill

Turner Gill could do it all. If Mike R, had been healthy against Miami he would have won it all.

Tommie F, Jerry T, Eric C, Dennis C, were all part of building Husker football into what we love about the program today.

Nobody has ever matched what Frazier did here, but Turner Gill was the best all around QB in Nebraska history. IMHO

GBR!!!

More comments on Brook Berringer. 1st of all, he was a BACKUP--to Tommie Frazier of all people. That's like Matt Cassel backing up Leinhart and that other guy(Palmer?). Yeah, I know, Cassel is now proving to be the better pro QB.

2nd, NE was a triple option team and Brook didn't have alot of wheels; he was 'servicible in that regard. So, Brook never really got his due. I remember those few games in '94(?) when Brook was the starter cuz TF had the blood clotting issue going on.

I think his first start was against CO which was about #4 or so, NE #1, and it was like,' :wtf , I hope Berringer doesn't screw this up for us'. The prevailing attitude was that our D was gonna have to win the game for us and just have Brook hand off the ball and make simple passes. And that's pretty much how the game went as NE won a fairly low scoring game.

He held things together altight vs Miami that year, but is was very clear that if we didn't get Tommie in there we weren't going to win that game, hence the NC.

:point ,well, a few have thrown his name up as one of our best but I don't think you can go there. We will never know. The guy had some very good potential as a passer is about all you can say. It's also a testimony to the strength of the entire team those few years, especially our D which was probably the best we've ever fielded.

Brook was a great backup is about all you can say and a very courageous one at that. He would have been a starter on many other pass oriented teams.

It may be a sentimental pick...however, if it was not for Brook, they would have have made it to the NC. Was he as fast as Frazier, no way, but he ran the offense very very well and stepped in to get the job done. Talking about staying around and sticking it out.....he could have left and started somewhere else, but he stayed and knew his role. He goes down in the top 5 for me!

He held things together altight vs Miami that year, but is was very clear that if we didn't get Tommie in there we weren't going to win that game, hence the NC.

It may be a sentimental pick...however, if it was not for Brook, they would have have made it to the NC. Was he as fast as Frazier, no way, but he ran the offense very very well and stepped in to get the job done. Talking about staying around and sticking it out.....he could have left and started somewhere else, but he stayed and knew his role. He goes down in the top 5 for me!

'....It may be a sentimental pick...' :yeah And I don't think you can accurately say that Brook got us to the NC game that year. If anything, I would say our D got us there.

Brook was left undeveloped IMO. He COULD have been a very good QB had he started somewhere else for his whole career.

He really didn't see the field that much at NE. I remember a certain fan 'vibe' at the time though that was borderline racist, like, 'hey, we wanna see the white guy in there...' I remember hearing some of that in hushed tones in the stands at a few games I went to where TF was the guy. Not a huge thing, but it was there.

Anyway, I don't think of BB when I think best QBs for NE. A good backup.

Brook had heart...as a NCAA QB he was adequate at best. If he hadn't had his fatal accident, I don't know that he would even been mentioned in this conversation to be honest. He definitely didn't rank among the best QB's in Nebraska history - he only had 12 TD's and had 6 Interceptions to go with them.