Improving Defense

The stats show that Nebraska's defense has improved over last year. It is good to see them going in the right direction. The fact that the BIG XII has so many great QBs leading good offenses has to factor in as well.

Total defense #68--2007 #112

Pass defense #90--2007 #84

Rush defense #51--2007 #116

Scoring defense #88--2007 #114

turnover margin #113--2007 #117

The turnover margin is especially disappointing but the more they learn Coach Pelini's system the more that should improve.

Even if some of the stats don't show it, the difference is almost night & day...it's obvious

Just the attitude and hustle these guys are playing with now makes a great difference. Sometimes they looked like they couldn't wait for the game/season to be over with last year.

I think I had unrealistic expectations about our defense coming into the season beause I thought Pelini would do just as he did when he became our D-coordinator in 2003, when Nebraska's defense improved to 11th and led the country in turnover margin. I wasn't thinking about him overlooking the entire team this time around, as well as recruiting and PR for the team. But I think both Bo and Carl (and the entire staff really) have done a really good job with this team and expect them to get better with time.

I figured we'd jump up in the defensive standings this year with Bo, but the mentality is where I really thought we'd shine. The whole time i looked at it as if we could bring our defense in the 60's we'd be a whole heck of a lot better, because we actually would have had a defense. Just watching the players this year shows me exactly what Bo and Carl can do with a team when it is actually coached. Next year we'll be even better I believe and I think our swagger comes back to the blackshirt defense, they know what it means to wear that shirt again.

In short, we've got no where to go but up.

GBR

The stats show that Nebraska's defense has improved over last year. It is good to see them going in the right direction. The fact that the BIG XII has so many great QBs leading good offenses has to factor in as well.

Total defense #68--2007 #112

Pass defense #90--2007 #84

Rush defense #51--2007 #116

Scoring defense #88--2007 #114

turnover margin #113--2007 #117

The turnover margin is especially disappointing but the more they learn Coach Pelini's system the more that should improve.

I'm not as impressed with how much better they are than last year as I am with how much better they are than last month or even last week. The best part of watching the games this year has been watching this team get better each week.