rivalry trophy

Why not schedule Iowa as a rival have a home/away game alternating every year. I never understood why NU/Iowa was never developed into a rivalry game.

Because Iowa plays Iowa State and Northern Iowa (I think) every year. If NU-IU was to become a yearly game, Iowa wouldn't be able to schedule a "changing" non-con game, or they would just be able to schedule 1 (can't remember how Big 10/11 conference scheduling works). I'd love to see it happen, though.

Why not schedule Iowa as a rival have a home/away game alternating every year. I never understood why NU/Iowa was never developed into a rivalry game.

I agree, that way when we beat them they'll shut up.

Scheduling Iowa would be sweet, i think it could turn into a pretty good border war. Unfortunately after the last two beat downs we gave them i dont think we will be getting a chance to start a home/home series with them.

If there had to be a trophy, maybe a bronze buffalo with a corn cob shoved up it's butt.

And as far as a "rivalry" goes, I think there has to be a continued history of close games, and an even won/loss record in the series.

In the total NU-CU series (I'm not going to waste the time to research the accurate number) I believe we lead the series by at least 35 games!

Oklahoma is the only team in the old Big 8 that we consistently competed with. We have such a huge advantage in wins over all the other former Big 8 teams, so any talk of a rivalry with those teams seems silly.

And as far as a "rivalry" goes, I think there has to be a continued history of close games, and an even won/loss record in the series.

In the total NU-CU series (I'm not going to waste the time to research the accurate number) I believe we lead the series by at least 35 games!

Oklahoma is the only team in the old Big 8 that we consistently competed with. We have such a huge advantage in wins over all the other former Big 8 teams, so any talk of a rivalry with those teams seems silly.

Ehh, I don't think there's any sort of set requirements that a game has to have for a yearly contest to become a rivalry game. Obviously most heated rivalries have a few things in common (close proximity to one another, history of success for one or both programs, perceptually or literally differing social dynamics at each school, reciprocity, etc) and CU/NU fits the bill for most of these categories, but it's not like missing one or two of the common qualifiers excludes a game from being seen as a rivalry. That said, now that NU's fallen on hard times it seems that the student body at CU gets a lot more excited for the CSU game every year, so maybe soon enough we'll have a situation where both sides are railing on and on about how this "really isn't a rivalry."

Regardless, the title of rivalry game doesn't really matter to me too much, I just enjoy the tradition (or if you're prefer a less romantic term, "recurrence") of the game the day after Thanksgiving. It's nice to have that big network audience, and it's a superb way to wake up from a turkey coma.

As far as the whole "Oklahoma is our only real rival" argument - well, I just hope you guys really soaked in all the pageantry, tradition, and mutual respect that game brought into your lives this year... you know, for the 3 or 4 minutes of gametime when Oklahoma wasn't up by 28 points. :thumbs

Ehh, I don't think there's any sort of set requirements that a game has to have for a yearly contest to become a rivalry game. Obviously most heated rivalries have a few things in common (close proximity to one another, history of success for one or both programs, perceptually or literally differing social dynamics at each school, reciprocity, etc) and CU/NU fits the bill for most of these categories, but it's not like missing one or two of the common qualifiers excludes a game from being seen as a rivalry. That said, now that NU's fallen on hard times it seems that the student body at CU gets a lot more excited for the CSU game every year, so maybe soon enough we'll have a situation where both sides are railing on and on about how this "really isn't a rivalry."

Regardless, the title of rivalry game doesn't really matter to me too much, I just enjoy the tradition (or if you're prefer a less romantic term, "recurrence") of the game the day after Thanksgiving. It's nice to have that big network audience, and it's a superb way to wake up from a turkey coma.

As far as the whole "Oklahoma is our only real rival" argument - well, I just hope you guys really soaked in all the pageantry, tradition, and mutual respect that game brought into your lives this year... you know, for the 3 or 4 minutes of gametime when Oklahoma wasn't up by 28 points. :thumbs

ouch, :yeah

That being said, I think the trophy should be a gold plated turkey sandwich.

Wait-- where's the qualifier that states that rivalries are created on the field, and not by some mountain coach who decides that his team needs a rival, so he designates another team as the "red letter game"?

As much as it hurts Husker fans to hear Oklahoma say that Texas is their real rival, I think it ticks these 'Buffs off that we don't acknowlege a rivalry with them.

Wait-- where's the qualifier that states that rivalries are created on the field, and not by some mountain coach who decides that his team needs a rival, so he designates another team as the "red letter game"?

As much as it hurts Husker fans to hear Oklahoma say that Texas is their real rival, I think it ticks these 'Buffs off that we don't acknowlege a rivalry with them.

Well it's not like NU and CU never played before McCartney started making a bigger deal out of the game... if I remember correctly the series dates back to the 1890's, though I think that's true of most of the old big 8 matchups. Regardless, McCartney's "deciding" on Nebraska as CU's rival was only a catalyst - that decision on his part wouldn't have any relevance today were it not for the 15+ years of top 10 matchups and nail biting finishes that followed it (I'm talking about 1986 through 2001, primarily).

I find it odd that Nebraska fans alternate so effortlessly between declaring that either A: CU fans are apathetic towards football in general, or B: that CU fans truly care a great deal whether or not Nebraska fans perceive them to be a "real" rival. Well, which one is it? We can't care and not care about football at the same time, folks. :dunno