Sports Illustrated projects gator bowl for us

HuskerEric

I fart in your general direction.

Ok...

GT would give us a whale of a game. Would be a tough game.

No. The game would suck. We would kill them. They run the option. The option doesn't work in college football anymore...remember?!?!

:sarcasm

(Thought I'd include the little sarcasm guy for those people unable to pick up on anything sarcastic unless you specify.)

From journalstar.com blog:

Trying to get some Insight on Husker bowl picture

While Notre Dame's loss on Saturday was viewed as a positive by Husker fans (seemingly putting Nebraska in prime position for a Gator Bowl bid), it's also got me trying to figure out what exactly might happen to Nebraska if it were to lose Friday.

I'm starting to wonder if the Insight Bowl comes back into play if Ralphie stuns Nebraska. Just consider that the Gator would probably not be inclined to take a 7-5 Nebraska team and neither would the Alamo Bowl. I don't think Nebraska can slip past the Sun Bowl, but there's a slim chance.

From my understanding, the Sun Bowl has to take a Big 12 team if the Gator doesn't. But if NU did lose Friday and the Gator selected another Big 12 team, suddenly the Sun might be presented with the option of taking Nebraska or Notre Dame. In that case, you wonder if Notre Dame isn't the pick by the Sun. Notre Dame has a strong representation of supporters down that way and bowls have that whole Notre Dame fascination no matter how bad the Irish are. (That would put NU on the Insight Bowl's radar.)

It gets kind of complicated here, however, because the Sun can't take the Irish over a Big East team if the conference produces at least six seven-win teams. Rutgers has a chance to become that sixth team this week. So if it's between Nebraska and a Big East team for the Sun, you got to think the pick is NU.

Nebraska's best bet: Take care of biz Friday, keep an eye open Saturday to make sure USC handles Notre Dame, and a trip to Jacksonville seems very likely.

Stewart Mandel did a good breakdown of the bowl situation for SI.com.

He projects Nebraska in the Gator Bowl against Georgia Tech. He has Florida State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl (formerly the Peach Bowl). The Chick-fil-A gets to pick its ACC team ahead of the Gator. It distresses me to a mild extent that the Peach Bowl is now called that but I'll try to carry on.

ESPN's "experts" put Nebraska in the Insight Bowl or Alamo. As shown here, the Insight is a real longshot, so take that opinion for what it's worth. And CBS Sportsline has the same Husker projection I'd make right now: NU versus Florida State in the Gator. We'll know soon enough.

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

How is it that if we beat colorado we would be ranked ahead of MU in the big XII?

We wouldn't be.

Two Big 12 teams go to the BCS. Then the Cotton Bowl would have the 3rd choice of Big 12 teams, the Holiday Bowl would have 4th choice, then the Gator Bowl would be 5th.

Basically ..

Texas - BCS

Oklahoma - BCS

TTech - Cotton/Holiday

Okie Lite - Cotton/Holiday/Alamo

Nebraska - Gator

Mizzou - Alamo/Holiday

Nebraska travels and brings more prestige. Gator Bowl is in trouble financially and they are hoping for a Nebraska vs Miami/FSU type matchup right now since they know the exposure it would get. Cannot say the same for Mizzou.

That is of course granted Mizzou doesn't win the conference title game. Then of course this stuff gets completely blown up.

EDIT: Oops, forgot TTech.

Jan. 1 Gator: Nebraska (Big 12 No. 4) vs. Georgia Tech (ACC No. 3)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1 :w00t

Hmm... wish it were Florida State or Miami. There are still ways that can happen.

With how ridiculous the Big 12 has been this year, 4th place is pretty good for Bo's first year.

Bowls are not obligated to choose their teams in exact order of conference standings. For instance, "ACC No. 3" means "third choice of ACC teams" -- not "the ACC's third-place team. - per Stewart Mandel on SI.com