CU Columnist on Nebraska CU Rivalry

Husker_x

LINK

Woelk: Don't worry, Buffs know NU game is important

By Neill Woelk (Contact)

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Certain portions of Colorado football fans are apparently a tad upset with CU coach Dan Hawkins' philosophy of treating the Nebraska game, in the words of D-lineman George Hypolite, in a "business as usual" manner.

One former Buff player (who shall remain unnamed) even went as far as to drop an e-mail to the Camera suggesting, "You may think Nebraska is like any other game, but if you lose to Nebraska and finish at 50/50 or less, then we will have a new coach at Colorado that understands the importance of beating Nebraska."

My how time has fogged this former player's memory. If he and his teammates had been held to the same standard, they would have gotten a couple of coaches fired.

Hawk already has one more win over NU than this player experienced in his four years at Colorado -- and several years before and after.

Remember, Colorado once lost 18 in a row to the Huskers. After Eddie Crowder defeated Nebraska in 1967, CU didn't win a game in the series again until 1986, when Bill McCartney ended the losing streak in his fifth year in Boulder.

That's a span that included the last six years of Eddie Crowder's stay, all five years of the Bill Mallory era, three years of Chuck Fairbanks and the first four years of McCartney's regime.

All of those coaches may have understood the importance of beating Nebraska -- but it certainly didn't translate into too many victories.

Speaking of McCartney, it's also worth remembering that McCartney didn't actually declare NU as Colorado's "rival" when he arrived in Boulder.Rather, McCartney said Nebraska was the program Colorado should aspire to emulate. Mac wanted a standard by which to measure the Buffs, and he chose what was then one of the best programs in the nation.

Subsequently, he set the bar as high as possible and challenged the Buffs to reach it. That's where the "rivalry" began.

But circumstances are different today.

Let's be honest: If you were going to pick a program in the Big 12 to emulate, a program to use as a measuring stick, the Huskers would be pretty far down that list.

You'd start with Texas and Oklahoma. You'd continue with Missouri. Even after that, there are other programs that might be a better model of success than Nebraska over the last five years.

Nebraska has actually been the picture of mediocrity over that span. Since the beginning of 2004, NU has a 34-26 record, including a 19-20 mark in the Big 12.

Heck, even Kansas actually has a better overall record in that span (35-25) -- and not many folks in black and gold are clamoring to make Kansas CU's new rival.

Believe me, nobody in the Dal Ward Center today is underestimating the importance of the Nebraska game. Nobody is suggesting that playing Nebraska is the same as playing Eastern Washington. The players and coaches know who Nebraska is, and very much want to win.

But in all honesty, beating Nebraska these days doesn't carry the same status that it did even six or seven years ago. It is in no way, shape or form a measuring stick of playing against the best.

Rather, the last few years it's become a way for Colorado to salvage a season -- and that's not what CU should be pursuing as an "end all."

The Huskers may indeed be an upper-tier team again someday. This year, though, they have just one victory -- against Kansas -- that would be considered a "quality" win. Otherwise, they're a team also trying to catch the big boys in the Big 12.

Fans may want Dan Hawkins to circle this game in red. But truth is, the Buffs shouldn't be satisfied with this being their biggest game of the year. McCartney set his sights on the best team in the conference -- today's Buffs should do the same.

Simply, lending a manufactured air of "do or die" to a slightly better-than-average Big 12 team is a sense of desperation that isn't necessary.

Save that attitude for the true red-letter affairs.

Fans may want Dan Hawkins to circle this game in red. But truth is, the Buffs shouldn't be satisfied with this being their biggest game of the year. McCartney set his sights on the best team in the conference -- today's Buffs should do the same.

Simply, lending a manufactured air of "do or die" to a slightly better-than-average Big 12 team is a sense of desperation that isn't necessary.

Save that attitude for the true red-letter affairs.

keep dreamin', puffs :)

this game is do-or-die for you guys, this year. and you know it. Nice article; a lot of sweet talk about high standards, but it's all talk at this point. Hey, you guys should watch our bowl game this January! you won't be doing anything much anyways :-P

I'm curious why husker fans find this offensive. We are not the team to beat in the B12 anymore. We're not even the team to beat in the B12 north.

Living in Denver, I'd say most of their fan base considers this a "red letter" game. I remember a couple years back on the Irv and Joe show people saying they would be OK losing every game if they beat Nebraska. And the Hawkis quote....the panderings of a man who thought he might go winless in his first season. If we weren't a big game to them then why us in the quote?

BTW husker fans, all of the energy and dislike that gets posted about CU, is the kind of emotion spent on a.........rival.

We may be living in denial.

Who cares what these guy thinks. Both NU and CU aren't at the levels they used to be and until they get to that point again this game isn't going to mean alot. I want us to be playing for the North title every season so this game means something. Obviously, it means something in a way this season since CU has to win to get bowl eligible and we have to win to probably get to the Gator Bowl.

I'm curious why husker fans find this offensive. We are not the team to beat in the B12 anymore. We're not even the team to beat in the B12 north.

Living in Denver, I'd say most of their fan base considers this a "red letter" game. I remember a couple years back on the Irv and Joe show people saying they would be OK losing every game if they beat Nebraska. And the Hawkis quote....the panderings of a man who thought he might go winless in his first season. If we weren't a big game to them then why us in the quote?

BTW husker fans, all of the energy and dislike that gets posted about CU, is the kind of emotion spent on a.........rival.

We may be living in denial.

I think that depends on your definition of a rivalry. I actually respect Oklahoma and their program and fan base. I have nothing but loathing for everything sCUm. Usually a rivalry happens between even teams over a long period of time. Michigan/Ohio State, or has some in-state ties. Neither is the case here. We own CU and the trailer they roll into town with. Right now they're on borrowed time. Friday at 2:30-ish the asswhooping begins. And I hope it doesn't let up for four glorious quarters.

Who cares what these guy thinks. Both NU and CU aren't at the levels they used to be and until they get to that point again this game isn't going to mean alot. I want us to be playing for the North title every season so this game means something. Obviously, it means something in a way this season since CU has to win to get bowl eligible and we have to win to probably get to the Gator Bowl.

If the game is only important if the teams are playing at a high level with good records, then it is not a rivalry. Ask an 0-10 Yale team if they want to beat an 0-10 Harvard. Same for Army-Navy or Texas-OU. It kinda sucks we don't have that type of game anymore. Maybe something will surface in time. (Btw BRI, I wasn't insinuating you were calling it a rivalry).

I don't care if they take it serious or not...I don't consider CU a rivalry, they don't have the class to be in our class...PERIOD! I just want to see NU go into the game and open some whoop-a$$ on CU, then bring in some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers and let them get a taste of it too.