3 plays that tilted the Husker program

94 Orange Bowl. Bennett's kick goes wide left and the phantom push in the back call to nullify the Cory Dixon punt return for a touchdown that would of propeled NU to the only team in history to win 3 consecutive Natl Championships! :angry:

I believe the original topic was talking about he last decade. But if we are going all time...well...this could be the longest thread ever.

(cough...william floyd....cough....fumble...cough...idiot ref...cough)

94 Orange Bowl. Bennett's kick goes wide left and the phantom push in the back call to nullify the Cory Dixon punt return for a touchdown that would of propeled NU to the only team in history to win 3 consecutive Natl Championships! :angry:

I really don't know if we would have went all the way in 94 and 95, if we would have been champions in '93. After all, the entire team motto and identity of the 94 season was "unfinished business" which was only so because of falling short the year before. Still, it's fun to play the "what if" game.

What if, in addition to winning against FSU in '94, we didn't lose to Texas in the inaugural Big XII Championship game, and went on to win it all in 96. National champions in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997. Not bad?

I really don't know if we would have went all the way in 94 and 95, if we would have been champions in '93. After all, the entire team motto and identity of the 94 season was "unfinished business" which was only so because of falling short the year before. Still, it's fun to play the "what if" game.

What if, in addition to winning against FSU in '94, we didn't lose to Texas in the inaugural Big XII Championship game, and went on to win it all in 96. National champions in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997. Not bad?

Woulda,shoulda,coulda, but man wouldn't of that been great? DECADE OF DOMINANCE for sure!!!!

95 Orange Bowl, 4th quarter, Costas gets off about the only pass where he doesn't get plastered to the turf, and badly overthrows a Miami receiver who had no one within 20 yards of him. I can't remember if the score was still tied or if we had taken the lead here, but if he connects here, Miami could've easily have pulled that game out. Who knows if that would've put too many doubts in the 95 and 97 teams to win it all. Probably not, as talented as they were, but it was a huge play. As were many in the last dozen or so years.

Here's two plays that aren't for the overly faint of heart. Watson calling any Buff back running straight up our arses in the 62-36 game. Hey it sent us on really bad tilt. And then Joe's pick against Tech, can anyone say Big XII title game.

On the plus side I'd say this recent kick of course and the opening kick of this season cause Clownahan wasn't on the sideline.

not so much plays that changed history, but coaching decisions. Solich was a "safe" pick for Osbourne, and it is clearly evident that Solich was not that solid of a recruiter and the talent level dropped, and the losses began to pile up, compared to what the last few years of Dr. Tom. Cally again, was a "safe" choice for Pederson, he thought this guy would change the identity of the program and begin a new way of life for NU, he got talent in, but could not do anything with them, again the losses began to pile up. I would hate to know what really was going on with the hiring of Cally when he was like the 5th or 6th choice, and I truly believe the man did not want to be here at all, he just wanted a job. So now with Bo our 4th coach in the last 10 years, still has a lot to work to do, but has exceeded expectations, the presence of Pelini will be felt in the next 2-3 years to see what kind of athlete he gets in here and what kind of attitude the program has. As for next year, I think we still have some catching up to do and with some of the playmakers leaving i think we will see a replica of this season. just have to wait and see. Good grief, that was some serious babbling, take it how you want. :)

The whole Solich firing should not have happened (at least not that year, not at 9-3). Callahan wasn't the "safe" hire, Pelini would have been. All the fans wanted him. I'm sure Pedersen even thought he would do a good job. But how smart does Pedey look if he just hires the interim guy? The whole thing was about making himself a hero to the Huskers like the Bobfather and TO, just like people looked at him at Pitt for his hiring of Harris and Howland. He found out what it is like to hire a coach at NU, made even harder given a 9-3 season. The new guy has to go 10-2 or better or he fails. Who the hell wants to sign up for that? He got "stuck" with BC. That is the story of the BC hiring. An AD just trying to steal the glory of a successful football program. It wasn't his toy to break. In hindsight, all of us should have headed to the football offices with torches and battering rams and insisted that Solich be retained or Bo installed as HC. And, the next time a new AD comes in and fires a 9-3 or better coach, that is exactly what should happen - a coup.