3 plays that tilted the Husker program

I can think of a few plays over the last decade that tilted the Husker program:

The first was in 1998 I believe, when Dan Alexander was hurdling into the endzone at Texas...and fumbled the ball before he broke the plane. Solich's Huskers likely would have played for the national championship that year without the fumble. That might have given Solich a lifetime pass in Husker Nation.

The second play was in 2006, when #1 Texas was in Lincoln. NU was leading and needed one more first down to ice the game. Nunn fumbles, Texas wins. I hate to say it, but a win here could have meant Cally was around for another year or two. :madash

The third play was last Saturday, when Henery kicked a highly improbably field goal. The fruits of the kick are many and will continue to unfold in the coming weeks, but it was on national TV and the nation got to see the Huskers pull one out in front of a frenzied crowd. A highly regarded KU commit decommitted and opted for the Huskers. NU got into the Gator Bowl instead of the toilet bowl, which provides for a huge springboard going into the final recruiting stretch and into next year.

This program is going to be scary good, and maybe as soon as next year.

I can think of a few plays over the last decade that tilted the Husker program:

The first was in 1998 I believe, when Dan Alexander was hurdling into the endzone at Texas...and fumbled the ball before he broke the plane. Solich's Huskers likely would have played for the national championship that year without the fumble. That might have given Solich a lifetime pass in Husker Nation.

The second play was in 2006, when #1 Texas was in Lincoln. NU was leading and needed one more first down to ice the game. Nunn fumbles, Texas wins. I hate to say it, but a win here could have meant Cally was around for another year or two. :madash

The third play was last Saturday, when Henery kicked a highly improbably field goal. The fruits of the kick are many and will continue to unfold in the coming weeks, but it was on national TV and the nation got to see the Huskers pull one out in front of a frenzied crowd. A highly regarded KU commit decommitted and opted for the Huskers. NU got into the Gator Bowl instead of the toilet bowl, which provides for a huge springboard going into the final recruiting stretch and into next year.

This program is going to be scary good, and maybe as soon as next year.

The fumble in 98 was Correll Buckhalter, was it not? If memory serves me correct he fumbled on/near the goaline twice.

Texas wasn't #1 in 2006. And the UT game you're thinking of with the Alexander fumble is 99.

Oct 21, 2006

#17 Nebraska - 20

#5 Texas - 22

LOL - Not that we are sticklers for details or anything.

-Not 'a play' but the 70-10 loss to an unranked Texas Tech showed that NU had fallen from the elite.

-'05 LeKevin Smith has redemption in his grasp, but fumbles the interception away.

-2 of the most storied programs in football history...Crouch's run in OT to beat Notre Dame in front of Irish fans, and Touchdown Jesus.

not so much plays that changed history, but coaching decisions. Solich was a "safe" pick for Osbourne, and it is clearly evident that Solich was not that solid of a recruiter and the talent level dropped, and the losses began to pile up, compared to what the last few years of Dr. Tom. Cally again, was a "safe" choice for Pederson, he thought this guy would change the identity of the program and begin a new way of life for NU, he got talent in, but could not do anything with them, again the losses began to pile up. I would hate to know what really was going on with the hiring of Cally when he was like the 5th or 6th choice, and I truly believe the man did not want to be here at all, he just wanted a job. So now with Bo our 4th coach in the last 10 years, still has a lot to work to do, but has exceeded expectations, the presence of Pelini will be felt in the next 2-3 years to see what kind of athlete he gets in here and what kind of attitude the program has. As for next year, I think we still have some catching up to do and with some of the playmakers leaving i think we will see a replica of this season. just have to wait and see. Good grief, that was some serious babbling, take it how you want. :)

not so much plays that changed history, but coaching decisions. Solich was a "safe" pick for Osbourne, and it is clearly evident that Solich was not that solid of a recruiter and the talent level dropped, and the losses began to pile up, compared to what the last few years of Dr. Tom. Cally again, was a "safe" choice for Pederson, he thought this guy would change the identity of the program and begin a new way of life for NU, he got talent in, but could not do anything with them, again the losses began to pile up. I would hate to know what really was going on with the hiring of Cally when he was like the 5th or 6th choice, and I truly believe the man did not want to be here at all, he just wanted a job. So now with Bo our 4th coach in the last 10 years, still has a lot to work to do, but has exceeded expectations, the presence of Pelini will be felt in the next 2-3 years to see what kind of athlete he gets in here and what kind of attitude the program has. As for next year, I think we still have some catching up to do and with some of the playmakers leaving i think we will see a replica of this season. just have to wait and see. Good grief, that was some serious babbling, take it how you want. :)

Go back and see how many Solich recruits that played the first and second year under Clownahan that were drafted in the first 3 rounds into the NFL. Did Solich recruit offensive talent? No, not really. However, he did do a pretty good job of recruiting defensive talent. When looking at the "glory" years with regards to TO's recruiting prowess, you have to look at how many in state kids fell into his lap. I mean how often do we get the Zatecka brothers type talent, Joel Wilks, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Ahman Greene, Terry Conneally, etc. all coming from within the state's borders in a short amount of time?

Solich wasn't a "safe" hire. He quite simply was the next in line. Nebraska was all about keeping it from within like a Mizzou family tree. TO was hired after the Bobfather to keep it in the family. Solich was hired for the same reason. I'm quite certain that Gill would then have been the next in line. We broke that family tree with the hiring of Clownahan. We've gotten a little bit of it back with the hiring of Bo who brought part of the family back.

Quite frankly, Bo is the biggest gamble of any of the 4 coaches we've had in the past 10 years. TO had been on the NU staff for a while before becoming the head man. Solich had been on the staff and or played for NU for almost a lifetime. Clownahan had HC experience and had played in the Super Bowl. Bo had just one game for HC experience. Bo will recruit to the defense hard, IMO. As long as Watson stays, I'm guessing he'll have a pretty long leash in terms of recruiting to the offense. Once we get the turnover and penalty problems fixed which I think we've done a pretty good job with the penalties, we will be able to play with almost anyone. We'll be a better "team" next year.

Go back and see how many Solich recruits that played the first and second year under Clownahan that were drafted in the first 3 rounds into the NFL. Did Solich recruit offensive talent? No, not really. However, he did do a pretty good job of recruiting defensive talent. When looking at the "glory" years with regards to TO's recruiting prowess, you have to look at how many in state kids fell into his lap. I mean how often do we get the Zatecka brothers type talent, Joel Wilks, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Ahman Greene, Terry Conneally, etc. all coming from within the state's borders in a short amount of time?

Solich wasn't a "safe" hire. He quite simply was the next in line. Nebraska was all about keeping it from within like a Mizzou family tree. TO was hired after the Bobfather to keep it in the family. Solich was hired for the same reason. I'm quite certain that Gill would then have been the next in line. We broke that family tree with the hiring of Clownahan. We've gotten a little bit of it back with the hiring of Bo who brought part of the family back.

Quite frankly, Bo is the biggest gamble of any of the 4 coaches we've had in the past 10 years. TO had been on the NU staff for a while before becoming the head man. Solich had been on the staff and or played for NU for almost a lifetime. Clownahan had HC experience and had played in the Super Bowl. Bo had just one game for HC experience. Bo will recruit to the defense hard, IMO. As long as Watson stays, I'm guessing he'll have a pretty long leash in terms of recruiting to the offense. Once we get the turnover and penalty problems fixed which I think we've done a pretty good job with the penalties, we will be able to play with almost anyone. We'll be a better "team" next year.

Right on- what i meant by "safe" was that basically yes, he was the next in line and had deserved his opportunity, but the other thing that came in with Solich was the retirement of McBride and some other assistants that moved on which did not help, when he brought in Pelini and Co. in 03, i for one said, "who the hell are these guys". Solich got a raw deal, and some big shoes to fill, i think anyone in that position might have had the same results. That is one thing that sux about the NCAA is that there seems to be no true loyalty to a program, it is a constant cycle of coaches every year.

Man if you make a mistake with Husker lore, it'll get fixed real quick here. :lol:

So does that mean that I should/shouldn't point out that our legendary coach was Tom OSBORNE and not Tom "Ozzy" OSBOURNE?!?!

Nice!!! Didn't know how many English profs were on here proof reading every post. See the irony in this? Tom=God Ozzy=Prince of Darkness. No wonder I get their names confused :lol: