Shawn Watson interviews for New Mexico job

zE

Do another backflip...Syracuse is a much better fit for Gill. He knows the area, has contact with HS coaches, has established roots, and doesn't have to worry about beating the school's arch rival over 70% of the time (like Tuberville did) and still get canned.

And, since this is a Watson thread, NU IS THE BEST FIT FOR WATSON

zE

Do another backflip...Syracuse is a much better fit for Gill. He knows the area, has contact with HS coaches, has established roots, and doesn't have to worry about beating the school's arch rival over 70% of the time (like Tuberville did) and still get canned.

And, since this is a Watson thread, NU IS THE BEST FIT FOR WATSON

Looks like 'Cuse already got somebody, Skip Holtz I think...'cuse link

From journalstar.com:

Watching the coaching carousel go round

It's being reported that New Mexico, which apparently interviewed Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson for its head coaching job, has chosen to hire Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley. Former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney was also interviewed for this job.

So it looks like you can knock that job off the list. But it will be interesting to keep watch and see if Watson's name comes up for some other openings.

From journalstar.com:

Watching the coaching carousel go round

It's being reported that New Mexico, which apparently interviewed Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson for its head coaching job, has chosen to hire Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley. Former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney was also interviewed for this job.

So it looks like you can knock that job off the list. But it will be interesting to keep watch and see if Watson's name comes up for some other openings.

Interviewed??? Really..

Interesting.

Really, I just want to say that I sincerely hope that Watson decides to stay put, IF he is givin the chance to leave. We need continuity, and he has helped recruit kids who may chose to look elsewhere. I think that he has done a nice job and will only get better. I really appreciate this staff, and want them to stick around for awhile.

I doubt continuity would be a problem, even if Watson left, which I don't think he will. We would likely promote from within, then fill a position coach spot by bringing in another coach.

I think thats probably true...but who would we promote?

Beck.

IF and only if Watson leaves, I would like to see Gene Suhr from DII Wayne State(hence the Nebraska ties) come on board...he runs a VERY efficient version of the West Coast with Silas Fluellen at QB, and basically one decent reciever...check out the stats for WSC's offenses the past 2 years since he's come on board there.

Yes, i know DII isnt the same as DI...BUT...scheme-wise Watson and Suhr are very similar, and i think that not only would he help with stability in being from Nebraska, but it would be an easy learning curve for the current and in-coming players.

..just my 2 cents

Is that the same Gene Suhr that used to teach the coaching class at UNL that was a HC for some class A school in Omaha? If it is, he was before his time as a coach for Nebraska high school football. He's been running the spread for what 20 years or so?

When Bo was interviewed about any of his staff having interviews for other coaching jobs his comment was that they are all good coaches and he would support anything that would better them. When asked what he thought about Watson being considered for a head coaching job, he said Watson deserves it and that his is a very good coach doing a very good job. His next statement was that it would be a top priority to keep him.