Time to face the music...

TrueMizzou

Husker Nation-

Well I've just returned from the beatdown in KC and thought I should check in with my new 'friends.' If I'm going to razz you when times are good, then I have to be here when times are tough.

Especially when times are tough.

Here are my conclusions for this season:

- Let's say the '95 Huskers were an 'A+' team. The '08 Tigers have shown themselves to be a 'C+/B-' team in a 'C' division.

- Mental toughness is in short supply, on both sides of the ball (especially on D). Unfortunately, Daniel also suffers from it. An argument can be made in both directions as to whether or not he should bear an additional amount of responsibility for the damage it does, given that he's the QB. I think he does, especially when I consider his cocky disposition, but have met with some vehement opposition on the Post-Dispatch's Mizzou board. It doesn't bother me. As a Mizzou fan, I have no problem accepting reality as I see it, and that's the reality I see.

- Gary Pinkel has grown our program and for that I am thankful. I'll never forget what it's like to be lost in the wilderness, nor will I ever think our school is too good for a 9-3 season. However if he wants to take the next step, an element of ruthlessness will need to be brought into play. This will involve benching players (even star players) who don't prepare/perform, firing defensive coordinators who fail miserably, and running up scores in pursuit of BCS rankings. For me the real point of interest during these next couple seasons will be the adjustments Pinkel chooses to make (or not make). Given his often stubborn nature, personal loyalty (not always a bad thing) and glacial, deliberative approach to things, I'm not feeling very optimistic. Whatever happens, I'll be there.

I'll always be there.

In closing, I think the drop-off from this season to next may not be as great as I thought it might be. I say that not because we have a bumper crop of great new starters waiting in the wings (although I gotta admit I'm absolutely dying to see what Gabbert will do once he gets the baton), but because this year's team didn't come anywhere close to being what I thought it could be.

Losing isn't by any means an unforgivable offense, but underachieving is. Especially when it results from lack of heart and/or focus. I really hoped that we'd do a better job of representing the North.

Maybe next year. Maybe not.

Good luck in your bowl game.

i've got to admit that these past few years of Mizzou with booger have been awful...he has got to be the douchiest guy on the face of the planet. it goes him, kevin federline, jimmy fallon, carson daly, etc. i didn't mind losing to brad smith as much as losing to that idiot. god damn, can he be so cocky about standing 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, guaranteeing never getting sacked?

DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR. it's alright to be confident in your abilities. tim tebow comes to mind. it's another thing to think that you are god's gift to the spread offense. actual examples of this, tim tebow, pat white.

Husker Nation-

Well I've just returned from the beatdown in KC and thought I should check in with my new 'friends.' If I'm going to razz you when times are good, then I have to be here when times are tough.

Especially when times are tough.

Here are my conclusions for this season:

- Let's say the '95 Huskers were an 'A+' team. The '08 Tigers have shown themselves to be a 'C+/B-' team in a 'C' division.

- Mental toughness is in short supply, on both sides of the ball (especially on D). Unfortunately, Daniel also suffers from it. An argument can be made in both directions as to whether or not he should bear an additional amount of responsibility for the damage it does, given that he's the QB. I think he does, especially when I consider his cocky disposition, but have met with some vehement opposition on the Post-Dispatch's Mizzou board. It doesn't bother me. As a Mizzou fan, I have no problem accepting reality as I see it, and that's the reality I see.

- Gary Pinkel has grown our program and for that I am thankful. I'll never forget what it's like to be lost in the wilderness, nor ever think our school is too good for a 9-3 season. However if he wants to take the next step, an element of ruthlessness will need to be brought into play. This will involve benching players (even star players) who don't prepare/perform, firing defensive coordinators who fail miserably, and running up scores in pursuit of BCS rankings. For me the real point of interest during these next couple seasons will be the adjustments Pinkel chooses to make (or not make). Given his often stubborn nature, personal loyalty (not always a bad thing) and glacial, deliberative approach to things, I'm not feeling very optimistic. Whatever happens, I'll be there.

I'll always be there.

In closing, I think the drop-off from this season to next may not be as great as I thought it might be. I say that not because we have a bumper crop of great new starters waiting in the wings (although I gotta admit I'm absolutely dying to see what Gabbert will do once he gets the baton), but because this year's team didn't come anywhere close to being what I thought it could be.

Losing isn't by any means an unforgivable offense, but underachieving is. Especially when it results from lack of heart and/or focus. I really hoped that we'd do a better job of representing the North.

Maybe next year. Maybe not.

Good luck in your bowl game.

You sir, get the MF'r's post of the day award.

It's very refreshing to hear a Mizzou fan express some humility, instead of saying "52-17". You're a good fan, and a knowledgible fan...nice to hear your opinion!

Good luck in the Alamo!

What are the chances the Big XII goes undefeated in bowl games this year????

I'm thinking about 90%.

Obviously it depends on matchups.

But I think Texas is a lock to beat Ohio St.

Oklahoma is better than Florida

Nebraska is better than Clemson

Missouri is better than Northwestern or whoever they draw.

Kansas could get an easy draw as well.

Oklahoma St I dunno who they'll face.

TTech should have a walk in the park.............

As much as I hate Daniel, I will be chearing him in Mizzou's bowl! I will be chearing for all of the BIG 12. We got some respect this year, and I want to see the BIG 12 earn it in the bowls. It starts with OU. They need to finally win a BCS game....oh, and the championship that will come with it (this chearing thing may be asking a little too much!!!!HA!)

This was a good year for Mizzou. I love where my program is at. I now know how it feels to be disappointed after a 9 win season. That is awesome. Now I am not bitter about not getting the Gator Bowl. They got to do what they got to do. The thing is, is it to early to start hyping the Battle for the Bell? The bell is here in Columbia baby and is going to stay here!