Stevie Hicks committed suicide

Published Wednesday December 17, 2008

Stevie Hicks' friends wonder if they could have helped

BY KATIE FRETLAND

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

The day after Thanksgiving was clear and calm. It was cold, about 26 degrees, but Stevie Hicks wasn't wearing a coat when he stepped onto the highway overpass near downtown Omaha.

The local football star, who'd found his dream of playing in the National Football League unattainable, apparently jumped.

His death leaves friends, former teammates and coaches wondering how the person they loved ended up dead at age 25.

Before his death, Hicks took his football trophies off shelves and packed them away. He threw one of his old helmets in the trash. He turned large poster photographs of himself in his football uniform to face the wall.

He'd left his grandparents' home several times the night before his death, returning in the morning talking to himself and threatening suicide, according to investigative records reviewed by The World-Herald.

Before he walked to the bridge, Anita Hicks called 911, saying her grandson was at her home threatening to kill himself.

High standard for mental health custody

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Omaha Police Department's policy on placing adults in mental health treatment says officers should take people into custody if they have demonstrated to police or to other reliable people that they threaten the safety of themselves or others.

"It's a very high standard that must be achieved when we are talking about essentially depriving someone of their constitutional right to liberty," said Omaha Police Union President Aaron Hanson. "My grandson, I think he's having a breakdown," she told the dispatcher. "We're in our room, but he's talking about hurting himself if we don't come out. . . . He's talking about leaving. He's been doing a lot of different ranting and raving."

The dispatcher asked if he was using drugs.

"I think he has been, but I don't know whether he has lately," Anita Hicks replied. A toxicology report would show no sign of narcotics or prescription drugs.

At 7:35 a.m., Omaha police officers were dispatched to the dark green, one-story house on Decatur Street. Hicks was in the driveway, an arm around his grandmother, according to the records.

"Please take him," she said.

Police interviewed Hicks, asking if he planned to hurt himself or others.

"No," he replied.

After about a half hour, the officers left.

At 8:34 a.m., motorists began to report that a man had landed on Interstate 480 north of Dodge Street. "I just saw somebody jump off a bridge," one 911 caller said. At 9:14 a.m., Hicks was pronounced dead at the University of Nebraska Medical Center of head injuries suffered in the 57-foot fall.

Any suicide is a complex, mysterious act, and the only person who could really explain it is gone. Experts caution that there often are multiple reasons when people take their own lives.

Interviews with relatives, friends and former teammates and records from the investigation into Hicks' death offer a picture of a young man troubled by the early end to what had been a promising football career.

Jermaine Bell, 36, a close friend, spoke to Hicks days before he died.

"We talked about his football career," Bell said. "We tried to talk about how to go on. Life after football. . . . He still had aspirations of getting the chance to play football. Football is hard to give up."

Hicks was born June 29, 1983, into a family that loved sports. He played on youth football and basketball teams before becoming a star at Creighton Prep, where he scored 17 touchdowns and rushed for 1,818 yards as a senior.

"He was really good at what he did, but he didn't let it go to his head," said Nick Gustafson, 24, a former trainer for the Prep team. "He could have been a real jerk to everybody at the school because of who he was and what he did. He wasn't like that. He was nice to everybody."

Nebraska and Iowa State pursued him. He chose to follow in an uncle's footsteps to ISU, and relatives traveled to his games.

They cheered for No. 27 as Hicks became the only Cyclone player to lead the team in rushing four seasons, including 1,062 yards in 2004. The 6-foot-1, 212-pound player rushed for 159 yards and scored a touchdown in ISU's 2004 Independence Bowl victory. He wound up seventh on ISU's all-time rushing list with 2,601 yards.

Dan McCarney, Hicks' coach at ISU, had high hopes for him. Many thought Hicks was on track to the NFL.

"Stevie's something special," McCarney said in 2003. "He's got a chance to be one of the best I've ever been around."

But injuries dogged Hicks. He missed three games in 2005 and saw limited action in another three games.

"He was a gifted running back," said former ISU tailback Hiawatha Rutland. "He was down when he was injured, and he couldn't heal right. It was hard because he was so good. . . . It's just a tough transition."

If more was troubling him, Hicks didn't let on, friends said.

Usually he seemed like he was just Stevie: a quiet but happy guy who liked playing video games until he won, working out and driving fast. He took criminal justice and sociology classes, graduating with a liberal studies degree in August 2007.

He was polite: the kind of guy who cleared his dishes after dinner at a friend's house.

"He was an excellent football player, a good student, an all around good kid," Bell said. "He was really, honestly, truly a good kid."

After college, he went to Canada to seek a pro football career there. It didn't happen.

Chris Capece, 26, who had known Hicks since grade school, spoke to him two months ago, about a year after Hicks' college graduation. Hicks seemed to be doing OK, although a "little down and out."

"He really wanted to (play) football. He realized it wasn't an option anymore," Capece said. "He thought he had a shot at the NFL. He wasn't getting any calls back. That was pretty tough on him."

Herb Welling, who coached Hicks as a youngster, said he wishes he had had the chance to help the player he knew as a genuine and kind person. "He was always a winner. It is such a tragedy," Welling said.

"All of a sudden, the football's deflated and you've got to go on in life and do something else. . . . We as coaches have to look out for kids that might be going through this. Not just coaching for four years, but for 50 years. There is more to life than sports. You're not always going to be this great athlete."

In an interview, McCarney also stressed the importance of having an alternative for life after football.

"Such an amazingly small percentage of college players get the opportunity to play in the NFL," McCarney said. He said he didn't know of Hicks' Plan B.

"His dream was always to play in the NFL," the coach said.

According to the NFL Players Association, of some 65,000 college players at all levels, only about 300 make it onto an NFL roster each year.

There were indications in September that Hicks was having trouble. Police repeatedly responded to calls to his mother's house in Omaha regarding disturbances. She told police Hicks was being argumentative, yelling and refusing to leave her room. Police told him to leave and he complied, only to return twice.

The final time police came, the front window of the house was smashed and the door kicked in. Hicks' mother said he had ripped out the phone cord. Police found him sleeping in her room, wrapped in a comforter.

He was arrested and pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace.

Members of his immediate family declined to comment for this story. Cousins say the family remains in shock over his death. An autopsy showed head injuries as the cause of death. Police have ruled out foul play, said Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine.

In the days before he died, Hicks called friends and family and told them he loved them, said Dan Goodwin Sr., his great-uncle.

Hicks called one of his closest friends, former Iowa State teammate Travis Cruise. Cruise, who'd gone to bed early and missed the call, wonders what Hicks might have said.

"I figured I'd call him back. It just slipped my mind. Then I got the news of (his death). . . . I couldn't believe it," Cruise said. "So many things go through your head: Did you do something wrong? What could I have done? I never, never had a friend like him."

Goodwin's barbershop at 24th and Spencer Streets is decorated with Hicks and Goodwin family sports memorabilia. Two newspaper clippings featuring Hicks hang on one wall.

"I wish I had a chance to talk to him. We all think about what we could have done. Any time someone takes their own life, they've got to be in a lot of pain," Goodwin said.

Shaking his head, he looked away quietly. "So young. So young."

Man, that's sad, but at the same time it's such a selfish thing to do. :dunno

You have a tremendous amount of posts, but sometimes you say the most tremendously stupid sh!t. Did you hear that on Dr. Phil? The guy was going bonkers and needed some mental help. He was in more pain than he could stand, was irrational and you want him to think about how it would affect everyone around him? How about McCarney saying he didn't know Stevie's Plan B? Apparently, he just wanted SH's football ability and forget the rest. That's selfish! No one stepped in to help this kid who was obviously a little misguided. Somehow I doubt that he got the idea he could count on football the rest of his life on his own.

Now, how long before someone posts "he was 25 years old, football was over, he just needed to man-up!" tick.....tick.....tick.....tick.....

You have a tremendous amount of posts, but sometimes you say the most tremendously stupid sh!t. Did you hear that on Dr. Phil? The guy was going bonkers and needed some mental help. He was in more pain than he could stand, was irrational and you want him to think about how it would affect everyone around him? How about McCarney saying he didn't know Stevie's Plan B? Apparently, he just wanted SH's football ability and forget the rest. That's selfish! No one stepped in to help this kid who was obviously a little misguided. Somehow I doubt that he got the idea he could count on football the rest of his life on his own.

Now, how long before someone posts "he was 25 years old, football was over, he just needed to man-up!" tick.....tick.....tick.....tick.....

Good thing I really could care less what you have to say then. I see alot more twisted and crazy $hit then you'll ever see and how it effects families. I've had two family members commit suicide, next time you open your mouth make sure you know what the other person has been through. Go ahead and bring up other things that I've said that have been really far off base. You don't have to agree with me, but don't call me out internet tough guy. :wacko:

Good thing I really could care less what you have to say then. I see alot more twisted and crazy $hit then you'll ever see and how it effects families. I've had two family members commit suicide, next time you open your mouth make sure you know what the other person has been through. Go ahead and bring up other things that I've said that have been really far off base. You don't have to agree with me, but don't call me out internet tough guy. :wacko:

Simmer down everyone. While people do not always agree, we don't need to curse each other and say mean things because we don't like someone's take, so calling Big Red Iowan's view stupid sh1t is not very nice and maybe could have been done a little more diplomatically. Aside from the unfortunate fact that his view was a little more insightful than one may otherwise had known.

Back on topic, I am NOT blaming his coaches, but maybe these players need a bit more counseling on their plan B, since that is really plan A for almost all of them. A lot of them don't seem to have an alternate plan, like most kids, but these guys are often shocked to find out they are only legends in their own mind and I think quite a few have trouble walking away. Even pros can't let go of the fame, and they at least have huge bank accounts and endorsement deals in the towns they played in. Never the less, at least in this case a great deal of human potential was lost.

It is a human tragedy.

It's affects families. AFFECTS! Internet stoopid guy. Na na na na na :w00t

A man committed suicide...his family lost a love one.....yet we are childish enough to take a serious topic of a man's death into a little fight between men....im not saying either one of you is right...but seriously....a man is dead, and our toughts and prayers need to be with this guy's families.....

A man committed suicide...his family lost a love one.....yet we are childish enough to take a serious topic of a man's death into a little fight between men....im not saying either one of you is right...but seriously....a man is dead, and our toughts and prayers need to be with this guy's families.....

I don't think I said anything disrespectful at all, take it up with Captain K.

Grow up and stop being disrespectful, if you've got a problem with me start a thread in the woodshed. All you have is trying to resort to being an english major on the internet. I'm proud of ya.............. :wacko:

Seeing what it does to the family is what BRI was stating. They are the forgotten ones. By us and the individual. It tears at the heart and sole of everyone in the family. Why didn't they try to help more, why did he want to leave me. Most families never get over the loss. It is a selfish act, but there are reasons for it happening

The one thing is that everyone feels responsible or lack of being responsbile. It affects the family far more than the departed I would guess. His problems are over. But the families and friends are just starting, and I think studies show it increases the chance of more within in the family.

It is a sad day, and my prayers are with the family. Not Steve, God will deal with him.

Wow. That is awful... What is wrong with you?