What goes on in the mind of a kicker?

krc1995

I just read the LJS article on A.Henery and I got to thinking, "What does a kicker think in the minutes leading up to a kick of Henery's magnitude?" Are there any ex-kickers out there? For me, the final 30 seconds before the actual kick would be the time I went into shock. I also wonder if all of Henery's new noteriaty might have an affect on him in the future (positive or neg). He mentioned that he is quiet and likes to stay out of the limelight. Not a revolutionary thread idea or anything, but I have always wondered what exactly they were thinking before the kick.

i'm sure it's just like doing anything else... visualize and have confidence. and about the celebration thing, i have heard many people say you can tell how good a kicker is by how he celebrates, the more you celebrate, the worse you are, just b/c it shows that you have less confidence in yourself... not sure i agree w/ being a worse/better kicker, but i can see the better under pressure part of it..

I've never understood "Icing" the kicker (or free throw shooter for that matter). I would think there is more pressure if you have to run out there with the play clock winding down and not have time to set up, visualize, etc.

In fact, I could swear somewhere/sometime (don't remember if it was kicking or free throws) but that the make % is lower if you don't call the timeout.

they teach at camps to visualize urself making the kick in ur mind b4 kicking....

I can buy that. It's the same thing I've always been taught in golf, how important it is to visualize the shot as you stand behind it, then just go hit it. As far as icing, I don't buy that as hurting a kicker, I think it helps actually. Again with the golf analogy; how many times do you see a player address the ball, pause, back away, stand behind it again and reset themselves? I guess you could say they are 'icing' themselves, but it usally works.