Nebraska Offense

Enhance

I don't really get caught up in the politics of playcalling... but are we still scripting the first X plays?

It seems as though our offense comes out robotic and has no character. Also, as the commentators pointed out, we very rarely score on our first possesion. If this is still being scripted before hand, why? Whats the advantage?

Also... please, please eliminate the WR screen out of the ANY formation... I don't recall a time where this play worked for good yardage and everytime I see it developing I hold my breath. Ganz usually got to the point where if that play was called, he threw it to the WR whether he was covered or not... My evidence is the Oklahoma game. (Clemson would have had the same thing but Ganz decided not to throw at the last minute)

I believe its the percentage, they calculate it all out and find which plays have the higher percentage to move the ball. It hard for my brain to go there, because so many different factor could change, or if you see a a weakness open up I'd change it right away. It was on a interview with Watson that I seen him talk a little about it, and he might have gotten a push from Calaclown to do it even more so!

I don't really have a problem if they have a script for the first drive if they keep it in reason...like if it obvious their D is determined to stop the passing game on the first drive lose the script...but when the offense knows the plays for the first drive it gives them time to warm up and they have time to visualize exactly how that first drive will go before the game even starts...but then again I don't care if they have no script and just take what their D gives us like we have been doing.

The thing about Watson is that he adjusts to the players he has. Yes, vertical passing has been one of those things that I can't figure out why he doesn't do more (Clemson was chomping at the bit for those screens the whole way). When we have the speed to run screens effectively, fine. Until that day comes, I'd get our receivers vertical to set up as many 2 and 2s as possible. I don't mind the zone read. Helu has carved up a few teams running it. Problem is, you need a REALLY threatening running quarterback to sell the play. Ganz can run when he needs to, but he's not a runner. Maybe Lee or Green can be that person someday.

I think that almost every coach at every level "scripts" at least the 1st series or two. Designed to attack possible weakness from film, but more importantly, to see how the D will line up vs different formations, allowing offense to calculate how to attack. I think you HAVE to script a few just for this reason only. You can't fly by the seat of your pants, and just "hope" the D lines up how you want it (unless you are Mike Leach).

I really hate to go into play calling, because it is all relative to the outcome of the play......if one works, it is great, if not, we should have called something different....and, the coaches are where they are for a reason, and we are where we are for a reason.

Now, with that said, I am a play action and bootleg coach. It is one of my staples, especially in red-zone. I would love to see a little more naked boots with QB inside 5, .....the way the D was pursuing and if you fake to Castille behind Suh, Ganz would have walked to end zone a couple of times. Finally, on third down inside the 5, a drop-back pass is extremely difficult. We did this a lot. When the D can drop 7 at the read of the snap, into a short coverage area...this is not an easy d to pass against.....from inside the 5, the run is still a possibility, so the D would have to respect the run/ball fake a little, causing the LB to freeze, allowing more space to work with.

I think Watson and Co. will adapt to the talent they have and nothing I could suggest/want would really matter. Go Big Red.

I would like to see more fullback but we need a Joel M. or Cory S. to do that. The old Nebraska power run is dead, we would be demolished by the big teams but we still need to run and pass as now but I do agree that some of our pass plays are very suspect.

More ability to run from the I-formation and do playaction. Recruit a vertical threat that can make the score in a single play at WR and a RB that can do the same.

The only team I have seen that is overly successful with the WR screen is the Missouri Tigers. They had Maclin and Daniels running it like it was the easiest play in the world this year, but even Northwestern was able to shut that play down.

Isn't it strange nearly a year after our 5-7 debacle, I'm now more worried about how the offense is going to score points and less about how the defense will play?

I would love to see that little bubble pass go or used less. It was almost picked off again.

Those quick WR screens and options out of the shotgun worked well for us against not-so-good defenses, but were severly exposed against good ones. I think we should scrap them also.

I would love to see that little bubble pass go or used less. It was almost picked off again.

Tech runs it and so does every team! If does not work for NU because you have no DEEP threat! This play works when defense plays back and QB just flips it out of fakes to back from spread and tosses it out. You have to have a big play maker at WR for it to work successfully qand NU doesn't have a Bryant, MacLin... That play is an outside run for a spread team.

So it looks like this thread is about moving to a more power run game? I guess everyone forgot that that's pretty much what we were trying to do up to the Mizzou game and we just dont have the o line to do this yet. Also after the Mizzou game when we switched to the spread running game we average close to 36 points a game. Helu rushes for 100 yards 4 out of 5 games and looks outstanding doing it, Castille rushes for 100 yards in one game mostly off two runs and all of the sudden he is the future at running back? I would like to eventually run more power run game with spread sprinkled in much like OU runs, but bottom line is that we dont have the mentality or personnel up front to do it yet. Don't get me wrong I love Castille and I think he and Helu will make a hell of a one-two punch next year, but some posts in this thread confused me a little.

Well you can't run power football out of the Ace Formation. We don't need to scrap the rest of the offense, but our red-zone offense against CU and Clemson was pathetic. I would just like to see the I-Formation as another tool to use.

IMO the only time the Wr screen ever really works for anybody is when you have a Speedy WR that has been known to beat people deep. Meaning they give a bigger cusion creating the oppurtunity to use the WR screen.

Saying that until we get that speedy WR I too hold my breath or scream NO everytime we run that play.

The Bubble screen we need to keep, but run it much less I agree with.

So Nebraska pulled out the win today, but I gotta tell you that I'm frustrated with the way our play-calling unfolds every game.

We seem to give out very little vertical threat, and rely a lot on zone-read options and horizontal passing. I think Nebraska had plenty of chances to get more points if they spent less time running. I'm frustrated with our offensive lines inability to open holes for the running game, and I'm tired of seeing the zone read go for little if anything against quality defenses.

I would love to see less spread, less zone-read option, and less blocking scheme screw ups. Barney Cotton coached a strong running team in 2003, so I'm confident he can work out the kinks.

I would like to see more power formations, more devastating vertical passing threats, and more powerful running from Castille. I know Helu had a statistically better year, but I think Castille is the future at Nebraska. He is everything that would have had Tom Osborne jumping like a giddy school boy in the 90's.

Thoughts and opinions? I want thoughts on what you guys want to see/look forward to for future years.

He don't have the speed or cuts!