Predict the scores for the 2009 schedule

JTrain

He's probably assuming that the points from Arkansas State and Iowa State will come in garbage time when our backups are in. I could see VaTech and NU slugging it out like that for four quarters, especially with our WR situation being what it is.

:yeah The one chance we had at having a shut out last year got ruined by our backups in the New Mexico State game.

So saying that winning the ACC is like being "Miss Trailer Trash" is not meant as an insult?

No, I'm sure it was, but like I said this is a message board and most of what is said on here is done just for fun and to fire people up. It's not necessarily meant to be rude, but somebody just speaking their opinion. Just take it with a grain of salt, because I'm sure people on VaTech boards are saying harsh things about Nebraska as well. All fun and games :nutz

Enhance89, HaHa... We have thick skin here in Hokie-land, and believe me, we are nowhere near as classy as the Husker fans.... In fact, as much as I look forward to having you all come to Lane, I am pretty sure we won't be as "friendly" as you all were to us. I am just giving you all a hard time for calling us Miss Trailer Trash. I am on lots of message boards, and unfortunately most of our fans are busy being obnoxious with the Bama fans and our conference rivals so we haven't been too busy with the Huskers... I am just excited about seeing the Huskers rise again. I was an undergrad at a Big 12 school (doing my PhD at VT), so I really want you to dethrone OU and UT... Sooner than later (no pun intended)!!!

As for our spring-game. Tyrod looked great. 180+ yards passing (16-33) with 1 TD and 0 INT. Didn't rush much. But the big news was the play of redshirt frosh RB Williams with 150+ yards rushing/receptions. RB Evans did not play, and I think we are in good shape with the Evans/Williams backfield. WRs were great - all sophs this year. Special teams were horrible.... Missed PAT and FG, but mostly due to poor snaps.

Got some extra tix for the fall so I will keep an eye on the Husker fan that gives us the least crap and there may be a ticket available.... Haha

Sounded like a good spring game for you guys. Seems like a tough day passing but the good thing is that he didn't turn the ball over, which is always great.

You said special teams was horrible, but how was coverage? Do you guys do live special teams (aka punts and kick offs)? We might have some problems on special teams as far as kicking goes. We have very experienced/all big 12 kickers (especially Henery), but our long snapper and holder are all new guys this year.

How did defense show up?

And how did back up QB's look for you guys?

he only completes 57 percent which is average at best

Eric Crouch - 51.5%

Tommie Frazier - 49.5%

Scott Frost - 54.5%

Turner Gill - 54%

Zac Taylor - 57.2%

Vince Ferragamo - 57.5%

well crouch ,frazier,frost,taylor didn't play qb after they left nu (and holding a clipboard doesn't count) can't remember for sure but i don't think gill did either. ferragamo was before my time. so 5 out of 6 bad take that as you will.

He's probably assuming that the points from Arkansas State and Iowa State will come in garbage time when our backups are in. I could see VaTech and NU slugging it out like that for four quarters, especially with our WR situation being what it is.

:yeah The one chance we had at having a shut out last year got ruined by our backups in the New Mexico State game.

So saying that winning the ACC is like being "Miss Trailer Trash" is not meant as an insult?

No, I'm sure it was, but like I said this is a message board and most of what is said on here is done just for fun and to fire people up. It's not necessarily meant to be rude, but somebody just speaking their opinion. Just take it with a grain of salt, because I'm sure people on VaTech boards are saying harsh things about Nebraska as well. All fun and games :nutz

Enhance89, HaHa... We have thick skin here in Hokie-land, and believe me, we are nowhere near as classy as the Husker fans.... In fact, as much as I look forward to having you all come to Lane, I am pretty sure we won't be as "friendly" as you all were to us. I am just giving you all a hard time for calling us Miss Trailer Trash. I am on lots of message boards, and unfortunately most of our fans are busy being obnoxious with the Bama fans and our conference rivals so we haven't been too busy with the Huskers... I am just excited about seeing the Huskers rise again. I was an undergrad at a Big 12 school (doing my PhD at VT), so I really want you to dethrone OU and UT... Sooner than later (no pun intended)!!!

As for our spring-game. Tyrod looked great. 180+ yards passing (16-33) with 1 TD and 0 INT. Didn't rush much. But the big news was the play of redshirt frosh RB Williams with 150+ yards rushing/receptions. RB Evans did not play, and I think we are in good shape with the Evans/Williams backfield. WRs were great - all sophs this year. Special teams were horrible.... Missed PAT and FG, but mostly due to poor snaps.

Got some extra tix for the fall so I will keep an eye on the Husker fan that gives us the least crap and there may be a ticket available.... Haha

Sounded like a good spring game for you guys. Seems like a tough day passing but the good thing is that he didn't turn the ball over, which is always great.

You said special teams was horrible, but how was coverage? Do you guys do live special teams (aka punts and kick offs)? We might have some problems on special teams as far as kicking goes. We have very experienced/all big 12 kickers (especially Henery), but our long snapper and holder are all new guys this year.

How did defense show up?

And how did back up QB's look for you guys?

Tyrod had a fumble which was recovered. He went against most of the starting D and since we pretty much have most of our D coming back he did fair. I think he looked calm, but at the same time he did not really "go at it" - i.e., he played safe in my opinion. He looks more like a leader. "ju-ju" (fr) our back-up is the same proto-type and I think he would be as explosive if he had to step in. We don't really have a pocket-passer so they are similar. I think ju-ju had a TD and a pick (which was forced - typical of a frosh...).

I guess I should point out that our special teams did well, except for the kickers... The coverage was great, but the snaps were horrendous... I just think the snappers and the kickers need some time together. It just looked a little rough out there.

The D (both teams) looks amazing. Despite Macho Harris gone, Bud Foster has some amazing redshirt freshmen. I think some of our fans found that our WRs were "sloppy", but I think they have to consider the pressure that the Ds gave them. At the same time, our O Line did not look great... I am worried about this, and the likes of NU, Bama, and Miami would go at it ferociously I'm afraid unless they improve, but I guess that is the story every year here in Blacksburg.

As your D improves and your young O is a work in progress I think our D is about the same while our O is better (especially with Williams and Evans in the backfield). I still think we will win our home games but I cannot wait to see the improvements of your D this fall. I have been holding off on predicting your season, but I am fairly certain you will have one major upset (i.e., win against someone you don't expect to beat), but possibly a loss against a road team that you should beat. You will win the North. That's all I want to say at this time....

Eric Crouch - 51.5%

Tommie Frazier - 49.5%

Scott Frost - 54.5%

Turner Gill - 54%

Zac Taylor - 57.2%

Vince Ferragamo - 57.5%

well crouch ,frazier,frost,taylor didn't play qb after they left nu (and holding a clipboard doesn't count) can't remember for sure but i don't think gill did either. ferragamo was before my time. so 5 out of 6 bad take that as you will.

Playing QB at the next level really matters when you are bringing in National Championships doesn't it?

Eric Crouch - 51.5%

Tommie Frazier - 49.5%

Scott Frost - 54.5%

Turner Gill - 54%

Zac Taylor - 57.2%

Vince Ferragamo - 57.5%

BTW, mebeinme, Tyrod looks a lot stronger this year. Beamer told the press that they put him on an all Runza diet. I can't believe they didn't do it earlier... I am sure his completion percentage will increase due this diet-change.

I will try something different and group the schedule into difficulty level rather than just go in schedule order.

Group 1 - Extremely Easy:

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

These will be wins. I hate to make such a bold statement, but, I'm going to anyway. Expect a few hickups in the first game while the offense/defense tie up some loose ends.

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

These games will be wins too, as both teams have new coaches and I just don't seem them being competitive for a few more years (assuming they ever become competitive).

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

All of the above games are of medium difficulty for different reasons. Three out of the four are away, which automatically makes things more difficult.

I feel Nebraska will beat Missouri. Missouri loses three key players on offense, who will be very hard to replace. Their defense wasn't good at all last year, and I expect some improvement, but not much. I also think the Mizzou offensive line will have all kinds of difficulties with the Dline. I don't think standing 6-8 (or whatever) yards back is going to help....

I still don't think Tech will be able to stop the run, and lucky for Nebraska that should be one of their strong points. The Tech offense should be decent, but losing Crabtree is HUGE.

Baylor will be tough. They have a great running QB, which historically gives Bo problems. However, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with how NU handles Mr. Griffin...

Colorado always plays us tough; especially when on their home turf. This isn't a gimme game either, although Colorado is going to need to get some wide receivers and a QB if they want to hang with ANYONE in the Big 12. And no, Cody Hawkins does not count as a QB.

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

As much as it annoys me, Kansas will be a very hard team to beat at Lawrence (unless you're from the South). They return Reesing - who reminds me of Ganz...or Ganz reminds me of Reesing - who obviously puts Kansas at a huge advantage in the North. Briscoe is...well, he's ridiculous. Speaking of which, any new updates on him? Last I heard he was suspended.

I see Kansas really committing to the run this year. Mangino is no idiot, and I think he knows the importance of the run-game (see 2008 NU vs. KU game). Crawford's role is in question due to the suspension, and many question whether or not he will be back with the team at all.

Sharp will contribute and I think Lewis also will, but I still don't see the running game taking off. It will be better than last year though. The offense will be okay though.

I think the biggest questions are on D. The D was in the lower half in all major defensive categories during league play, and they lose three starting linebackers. Stuckey returns, which should help the secondary, but the Dline is going to need to get pressure on the QB and stop the run if this defense is to do anything in 2009.

This game will be close. I think the game will be won by the team that plays better D and takes care of the ball better. I will put a "W" down for Nebraska.

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

First away game for a starting QB and it's in Blacksburg? This will be Nebraska's first challenge of the year and it is a HUGE challenge. Virginia Tech will be good. Alabama will go down. I don't see Nebraska winning this game, but I didn't see VT winning against Nebraska last year, so anything can happen. However, I think I will put this down as a loss.

We get Oklahoma at home, but it's not going to help. While I don't think this Oklahoma team will be as good as last year's team, they will still be better than all of the North teams by a pretty big margin. Oklahoma wins.

So, according to me as of April 23rd, Nebraska will go 10-2. However, I will most likely change my mind in the fall before the season starts.

No matter what, I predict NU to take the North (even if KU does beat us, they have a tougher schedule than we do) and Texas to take the South (watch out for Oklahoma State though...that's right, I said Oklahoma STATE).

WOW. Michael, I have to admit, this is a very well thought out point of view from you, and I agree with a lot of what you said. Nice post. The only thing I disagree with you on is the KU/NU game (big surprise there). Here's my take:

If Nebraska beats KU, then NU wins the North. Period. If KU beats Nebraska, then KU wins the North. Period. Why? Here's the deal-we can both agree that KU and NU will be losing to OU. That's a given. And KU will lose to Texas in Austin. No argument from me. BUT I see KU beating a weak Texas Tech squad (who lost EVERYONE) in Lubbuck. That's the difference between last year and this year, TT is WAY down. Losing 10 of 11 on offense, and 7 on the defense will deplete any roster. That's what TT is faced with.

My point-KU can still lose to OU and Texas and win the North by beating NU, cause there is no way Nebraska beats OU this year. The games for Nebraska and Kansas that may decide all of this will be there trips to boulder. Both teams play @ Colorado this year, and nobody likes playing in Boulder.

So we're close on this Michael. Again, nice post. Here's to an exciting North run for both teams!

I will try something different and group the schedule into difficulty level rather than just go in schedule order.

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

These will be wins. I hate to make such a bold statement, but, I'm going to anyway. Expect a few hickups in the first game while the offense/defense tie up some loose ends.

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

These games will be wins too, as both teams have new coaches and I just don't seem them being competitive for a few more years (assuming they ever become competitive).

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

All of the above games are of medium difficulty for different reasons. Three out of the four are away, which automatically makes things more difficult.

I feel Nebraska will beat Missouri. Missouri loses three key players on offense, who will be very hard to replace. Their defense wasn't good at all last year, and I expect some improvement, but not much. I also think the Mizzou offensive line will have all kinds of difficulties with the Dline. I don't think standing 6-8 (or whatever) yards back is going to help....

I still don't think Tech will be able to stop the run, and lucky for Nebraska that should be one of their strong points. The Tech offense should be decent, but losing Crabtree is HUGE.

Baylor will be tough. They have a great running QB, which historically gives Bo problems. However, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with how NU handles Mr. Griffin...

Colorado always plays us tough; especially when on their home turf. This isn't a gimme game either, although Colorado is going to need to get some wide receivers and a QB if they want to hang with ANYONE in the Big 12. And no, Cody Hawkins does not count as a QB.

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

As much as it annoys me, Kansas will be a very hard team to beat at Lawrence (unless you're from the South). They return Reesing - who reminds me of Ganz...or Ganz reminds me of Reesing - who obviously puts Kansas at a huge advantage in the North. Briscoe is...well, he's ridiculous. Speaking of which, any new updates on him? Last I heard he was suspended.

I see Kansas really committing to the run this year. Mangino is no idiot, and I think he knows the importance of the run-game (see 2008 NU vs. KU game). Crawford's role is in question due to the suspension, and many question whether or not he will be back with the team at all.

Sharp will contribute and I think Lewis also will, but I still don't see the running game taking off. It will be better than last year though. The offense will be okay though.

I think the biggest questions are on D. The D was in the lower half in all major defensive categories during league play, and they lose three starting linebackers. Stuckey returns, which should help the secondary, but the Dline is going to need to get pressure on the QB and stop the run if this defense is to do anything in 2009.

This game will be close. I think the game will be won by the team that plays better D and takes care of the ball better. I will put a "W" down for Nebraska.

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

First away game for a starting QB and it's in Blacksburg? This will be Nebraska's first challenge of the year and it is a HUGE challenge. Virginia Tech will be good. Alabama will go down. I don't see Nebraska winning this game, but I didn't see VT winning against Nebraska last year, so anything can happen. However, I think I will put this down as a loss.

We get Oklahoma at home, but it's not going to help. While I don't think this Oklahoma team will be as good as last year's team, they will still be better than all of the North teams by a pretty big margin. Oklahoma wins.

So, according to me as of April 23rd, Nebraska will go 10-2. However, I will most likely change my mind in the fall before the season starts.

No matter what, I predict NU to take the North (even if KU does beat us, they have a tougher schedule than we do) and Texas to take the South (watch out for Oklahoma State though...that's right, I said Oklahoma STATE).

WOW. Michael, I have to admit, this is a very well thought out point of view from you, and I agree with a lot of what you said. Nice post. The only thing I disagree with you on is the KU/NU game (big surprise there). Here's my take:

If Nebraska beats KU, then NU wins the North. Period. If KU beats Nebraska, then KU wins the North. Period. Why? Here's the deal-we can both agree that KU and NU will be losing to OU. That's a given. And KU will lose to Texas in Austin. No argument from me. BUT I see KU beating a weak Texas Tech squad (who lost EVERYONE) in Lubbuck. That's the difference between last year and this year, TT is WAY down. Losing 10 of 11 on offense, and 7 on the defense will deplete any roster. That's what TT is faced with.

My point-KU can still lose to OU and Texas and win the North by beating NU, cause there is no way Nebraska beats OU this year. The games for Nebraska and Kansas that may decide all of this will be there trips to boulder. Both teams play @ Colorado this year, and nobody likes playing in Boulder.

So we're close on this Michael. Again, nice post. Here's to an exciting North run for both teams!

I think Michael's write up is pretty good also, I only disagree with the VT part. For now I will put them in the Hard category with a W for NU, probably a bit of koolaid on my part but what I read about them they have a lot of good possibilities assuming people step up just like NU and KU.

I agree with Michael about the win at KU. KU is switching to a Nickel base D next year, even with that it seems finding a good 2nd LB is becoming a chore for the fat man, and the D-Line has been handled by the O-line in Spring Ball. I think the KU O-Line has some decent talent, but it has a lot of new contributors and for the D-Line to be as ineffective as it was in the Spring Game is not a good sign. With one of NU's strengths in 2009 looking to be a strong running game, I think that will allow NU to control the clock and punish the KU D thereby keeping Reesing and Co on the sidelines.

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

I think Michael's write up is pretty good also, I only disagree with the VT part. For now I will put them in the Hard category with a W for NU, probably a bit of koolaid on my part but what I read about them they have a lot of good possibilities assuming people step up just like NU and KU.

I agree with Michael about the win at KU. KU is switching to a Nickel base D next year, even with that it seems finding a good 2nd LB is becoming a chore for the fat man, and the D-Line has been handled by the O-line in Spring Ball. I think the KU O-Line has some decent talent, but it has a lot of new contributors and for the D-Line to be as ineffective as it was in the Spring Game is not a good sign. With one of NU's strengths in 2009 looking to be a strong running game, I think that will allow NU to control the clock and punish the KU D thereby keeping Reesing and Co on the sidelines.

Caveman-The starting d-line wasn't as effective because Jamal Green (starting DT) played with the 2nd team. He was forced to do that by Mangino because of discipline reasons. The emergence of Green and Parish in the middle of KU's d-line will be a huge advantage for KU in the fall. Plus, we have 3 linebackers capable of filling the 2 spots. I'm really not concerned with our linebackers. The defense as a whole will improve from last year.

I just realized Virginia Tech is part of the NCAA's plan to bring back exciting games at neutral fields to kick off the season (sort of like the old Kickoff Classic, except these will be worked into the 12-game schedule instead of added on). I think it's pretty sweet. The two that I'm aware of for next season are BYU vs. Oklahoma at the new Cowboys stadium, and Alabama vs. Virginia Tech in the Georgia Dome. That should be a great game, and if the Hokies win, they'll be ranked pretty high when we come to Blacksburg.

VT is a notoriously slow starting team, and I don't picture them capable of hanging with Alabama that early in the season. However, at Lane Stadium in week 3 NU is going to have it's hands full and then some.

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

Caveman-The starting d-line wasn't as effective because Jamal Green (starting DT) played with the 2nd team. He was forced to do that by Mangino because of discipline reasons. The emergence of Green and Parish in the middle of KU's d-line will be a huge advantage for KU in the fall. Plus, we have 3 linebackers capable of filling the 2 spots. I'm really not concerned with our linebackers. The defense as a whole will improve from last year.

Unless Jamal Green is a disruptive force, ala Suh, then I don't see how the D-Line not being able to get a push on a relatively new O-Line is a good thing.

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

Unless Jamal Green is a disruptive force, ala Suh, then I don't see how the D-Line not being able to get a push on a relatively new O-Line is a good thing.

Maybe we watch two seperate spring games my friend. I thought the play from both KU's units were very good. Many fans agreed it was the best spring game since Mangino got here. We'll see you boys in Lawrence my friend. :clap

Speaking of d-lines, NU's has the potential to be very good.

However, there are two things I'm worried about: 1) Barry Turner - I really hope he still doesn't have his injury on his mind during the first half of the year (in other words, I hope he doesn't start slow). I know injuries like this take time to heal, and even when they are healed, there is still that lingering doubt and so the player tends to not play to their full potential. If he can get the confidence he needs to realize he's 100%, look out. 2) Depth at the end position. Behind Turner and Allen, who else is there? A few players are going to really have to step up and establish themselves during fall practice.

I am not worried about the tackle position at all. Suh, well, not alot needs to be said about Suh. I gush about him though because he is very good. Size, strength, speed, and I can't say enough about his technique. During the Clemson game, I was amazed at how he shook off double teams to get into the backfield. He is very impressive.

Everyone will be pleasantly surprised by Jared Crick - who I think will be next to Suh most of the time. He has game experience and should really be able to show everyone what he is capable this year. Then behind those two we have Steinkuhler (of the "Baker" variety) and Moore.

Florida Atlantic: W 31-17

Arkansas St: W 56-0

@ Va. Tech: W 28-14

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 45-14

@ Missouri: W 35-21

Texas Tech: W 38-28

Iowa State: W 70-3

@ Baylor: W 42-35

Oklahoma: L 17-24

@ Kansas: W 28-24

Kansas State: W 63-10

@ Colorado: W 35-24

Big XII Champ. Texas/OU: L 21-49

Decent Bowl bid will result from an 11-2 record. This is all if no major players are injured.

You can tell me I'm drinking Kool-Aid if you want, but I see a talent gap between us and the rest of the conference except OU/UT. We have something we have been missing, speed!

There is speed all over the field now, and you can go a long way with a stud DT like Suh. KU, BU, CU are the only ones I see as not a sure thing besides the two losses. I really like Pelini's chances against a very similar team as last year in VT. I don't think that game will ever be in doubt, honestly. He has the speed to use different pressure schemes than last year. We were very risky when we brought pressure last year because of a lack of speed in the back 7, not so this year. We will improve in the secondary, watch PJ Smith. He will be a starter by the middle of the season.

Just my $.02.

"@ Va. Tech: W 28-14"

Not saying that you can't beat us - I think most of us in Blacksburg recognize the improvements under Bo and those of us that follow our team closely know that anything can happen when two good teams meet. BUT, it does not happen too often that we lose by two TDs at Lane Stadium. It is a loud place for visitors and I really don't think we will get outplayed too badly by most visitors. I just can't wait for that game.

Is everyone in Blacksburg as nice as you? I might have to try to get tickets if so.

My daughter graduates from VT next month. I have seen a dozen or so VT games at Blacksburg with her. I didn't attend last years VT game at Nebraska, but she did. She marveled at how nice, polite and considerate the NU fans were, even when things weren't going well for NU. :)

In contrast, while VT fans were voted as exhibiting the best sportsmanship within the ACC last year, that only leads me to marvel at what the other ACC school fans must be like. <_<