Nebraska vs. KU 2009

jayhawk

Who will win and under what circumstances  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has KU even sold their stadium out 297 times in the history of the program?

i don't think they even had a sell out till two years ago and even when i was last there it was still fairly empty twords the top.

I do not think that is true, and you are missing the point. We are not Nebraska, OU, etc (see earlier), but you do not get to start there. That is life, you build. You guys could afford some crappy years, because you have generations of people now who live and breather your football. If you sucked for a long time, it could go away, but that is hard to do when you are Nebraska. Just do not assume we cannot improve. We do have very nice facilities, a lot of recruits seem sold on them. They are a little smaller than NUs, but they are newer and football only, which I understand is another difference.

At KU now, The gameday environment is really very nice, and the crowds are good. We now have the makings of a very good fan base. Also, the fact that you sold out 30 years ago is cool, but it makes little difference on what the gameday environment feels like. You do have an awesome environment, but the fact that our games were sold out when I was a baby is not selling that many recruits. The fact that it is cool probably sells more, and it is getting pretty cool in Lawrence, so that is progress for us. We are not likely to out tradition you anytime soon, but that is not how we can win on Saturdays. We don't want to be you, recruits who will only play for a ;legendary program won't pick us right now anyway, so playing the "tradition" that is not a good strategy for us over the next 10 years. We want to be a better Kansas than we were, and in that regard we are progressing mightily. It's a lot like life, you make yourself better and don't try to be what your not. We can be a good football school,a nd already are proving that. No question for it to be credible it must survive longer than it has. No one really knows for sure if that will happen, but our investments in the program help make that a lot more likely.

If any of you boys want to come tailgate next year, if my company does not ship me by that time I am happy to host you. Even Bruno, as long as he is not overly fabulous. It's too bad many of you cannot relate to what the baseline is for comparing and seeing an improvement, but I hope it never returns for you to see....

"You guys could afford some crappy years" - we've had a few pretty bad years (by our standards) and to be honest I wouldn't wish that on anyone, including KU.

I don't agree that the games that were sold out 30 years ago do not matter now. The sold out streak is who we are as a fanbase. Almost every recruit, when asked why they chose NU, says something about the passionate fans, the facilities, the coaches, and the education.

I do agree that KU has been on the rise. I think it's good for the Big 12 (especially the north). I'm all for it. Really there is only one program, Colorado, that I dispise (no it's not a rivalry no matter what they say). The only concern is that history has a bad habit of repeating itself - hopefully KU can overcome its history.

I agree That we would want KU to improve and be seriuos competition year in and year out. That is very good for the big 12 and espeacially the North as stated above. What I can't understand is why any other teams fan base would question NE fan base or our knowledge of the game and the history of the program. I understand that there are a few people that get a little cocky that is going to happen anywhere you go, but the majority of the people here aren't that way. I for one enjoyed watch KU the last few seasons and cheered them on. Just not against us. That in my opinion is the way it should be. As far as who is going to win well obviously we will be underestimated and I hope so it just makes it that much sweeter when we stomp all over the other teams. It will be a tough one and no push over in my opinion, but I think we also could come away with a huge victory there.

i don't think they even had a sell out till two years ago and even when i was last there it was still fairly empty twords the top.

I do not think that is true, and you are missing the point. We are not Nebraska, OU, etc (see earlier), but you do not get to start there. That is life, you build. You guys could afford some crappy years, because you have generations of people now who live and breather your football. If you sucked for a long time, it could go away, but that is hard to do when you are Nebraska. Just do not assume we cannot improve. We do have very nice facilities, a lot of recruits seem sold on them. They are a little smaller than NUs, but they are newer and football only, which I understand is another difference.

At KU now, The gameday environment is really very nice, and the crowds are good. We now have the makings of a very good fan base. Also, the fact that you sold out 30 years ago is cool, but it makes little difference on what the gameday environment feels like. You do have an awesome environment, but the fact that our games were sold out when I was a baby is not selling that many recruits. The fact that it is cool probably sells more, and it is getting pretty cool in Lawrence, so that is progress for us. We are not likely to out tradition you anytime soon, but that is not how we can win on Saturdays. We don't want to be you, recruits who will only play for a ;legendary program won't pick us right now anyway, so playing the "tradition" that is not a good strategy for us over the next 10 years. We want to be a better Kansas than we were, and in that regard we are progressing mightily. It's a lot like life, you make yourself better and don't try to be what your not. We can be a good football school,a nd already are proving that. No question for it to be credible it must survive longer than it has. No one really knows for sure if that will happen, but our investments in the program help make that a lot more likely.

If any of you boys want to come tailgate next year, if my company does not ship me by that time I am happy to host you. Even Bruno, as long as he is not overly fabulous. It's too bad many of you cannot relate to what the baseline is for comparing and seeing an improvement, but I hope it never returns for you to see....

"You guys could afford some crappy years" - we've had a few pretty bad years (by our standards) and to be honest I wouldn't wish that on anyone, including KU.

I don't agree that the games that were sold out 30 years ago do not matter now. The sold out streak is who we are as a fanbase. Almost every recruit, when asked why they chose NU, says something about the passionate fans, the facilities, the coaches, and the education.

I do agree that KU has been on the rise. I think it's good for the Big 12 (especially the north). I'm all for it. Really there is only one program, Colorado, that I dispise (no it's not a rivalry no matter what they say). The only concern is that history has a bad habit of repeating itself - hopefully KU can overcome its history.

I agree That we would want KU to improve and be seriuos competition year in and year out. That is very good for the big 12 and espeacially the North as stated above. What I can't understand is why any other teams fan base would question NE fan base or our knowledge of the game and the history of the program. I understand that there are a few people that get a little cocky that is going to happen anywhere you go, but the majority of the people here aren't that way. I for one enjoyed watch KU the last few seasons and cheered them on. Just not against us. That in my opinion is the way it should be. As far as who is going to win well obviously we will be underestimated and I hope so it just makes it that much sweeter when we stomp all over the other teams. It will be a tough one and no push over in my opinion, but I think we also could come away with a huge victory there.

I don't like putting Nebraska on a pedestal above other Big 12 programs, but as much as I want to see KU do well in the Big 12, they need to prove that they can have consistency. KU, MU, CU, etc., always have a few good years with a good run and then they slip back into mediocrity. I really hope that KU can at least keep something steady going.

For some reason I see Reesing either being hurt for our game with KU or being knocked out of the game at some point (don't know why, I just do). With this being said, what happens if Reesing is out of the game? Does Meir go back to QB? Who replaces him at WR then? I know we have some questions at QB, but what would KU do without Reesing?

And I agree with Bruno; being gay, "is the new coooolest thing." I wonder if Bruno will show up at any games this year and serenade one of our running backs afterwards...

And I agree with Bruno; being gay, "is the new coooolest thing." I wonder if Bruno will show up at any games this year and serenade one of our running backs afterwards...

bruno.jpg

"Late at night, in times of repose, I have often wondered what some young chiseled FULLback might say or do

would he were suddenly love struck with a pumped up, virile, All American QB bigshot...the protocol for romance in the lockerroom must be extremely 'diceeey'...."

Hey they had plenty of sell outs in the 70s 80s and 90s. At least once every 2 years - and 3/4 of the stadium was red.

Twinkies, now that's funny!^^^

Hey, anybody 'no' what 'rock chalk jayhawk' means? No, seriously, I'm askin' here.....

Thanks bruno, it looks like you've been busy owning jawhawks today. keep up the good work. I have no idea what rock chalk jayhawk means other than it's just a silly ryhme's.

npz mr. 'forever', that guy says the darndest things....

I dunno, do you get chalk if you scrape 2 rocks together and what does that half to do w fuhbol? Well, I guess I'll have to get motivated and google it or wait for jayhawk to come explain it--he's a smart guy. :thumbs

I think the most popular explanation is that the school sits on a large hill, Mount Oread, that is made of Limestone (aka, Chalk). When the stdiums get loud and shakin, one "Rock's Chalk".

If you miss it, here tis...

Chant

ANd it is old, some variant of the chant has been around over 100 years. Teddy Roosevelt called it the best college chant he had ever heard. If ya'll don't like it, that is fine, but that don't make you right :)

According to one of the NCAA Football 09 random facts while loading, the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant came from some school official riding on a train and the sound of the rails and the cars inspired him to create the chant lol. Pick up the game (or play it at a buddies house) and start up a game with Kansas at home and hopefully that fact will show up on the load screen.

Hey, anybody 'no' what 'rock chalk jayhawk' means? No, seriously, I'm askin' here.....

Thanks bruno, it looks like you've been busy owning jawhawks today. keep up the good work. I have no idea what rock chalk jayhawk means other than it's just a silly ryhme's.

I dunno, do you get chalk if you scrape 2 rocks together and what does that half to do w fuhbol? Well, I guess I'll have to get motivated and google it or wait for jayhawk to come explain it--he's a smart guy. :thumbs

I think the most popular explanation is that the school sits on a large hill, Mount Oread, that is made of Limestone (aka, Chalk). When the stdiums get loud and shakin, one "Rock's Chalk".

Chant

ANd it is old, some variant of the chant has been around over 100 years. Teddy Roosevelt called it the best college chant he had ever heard. If ya'll don't like it, that is fine, but that don't make you right :)

According to one of the NCAA Football 09 random facts while loading, the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant came from some school official riding on a train and the sound of the rails and the cars inspired him to create the chant lol. Pick up the game (or play it at a buddies house) and start up a game with Kansas at home and hopefully that fact will show up on the load screen.

That just inspired the rythem, not the words.... It also happened in like 1886 and was for a Chemistry class, if you really want to talk about a tradition. I did not know classes had their own cheers, but hey, that was over 120 years ago, things were a tad different back then. Nebraska was not even playing football yet... Both KU and Nebraska did nto start until 1890.

On another note, while I am hearing how we are a drop in the bucket, I noted an interesting stat in this article on recruiting....

Link

I will post it on a different thread, but for this one, I would like to point out that KU has won more games in the last 5 years than GBR in football. I know our schedule is a little easier, but other than the fact you usually have 1 good non conf and we do not, we both have played the Big 12... Not too bad, considering that hasn't been happening over many other 5 year periods in recent times...

Chant

That just inspired the rythem, not the words....

On another note, while I am hearing how we are a drop in the bucket, I noted an interesting stat in this article on recruiting....

Link

I will post it on a different thread, but for this one, I would like to point out that KU has won more games in the last 5 years than GBR in football. I know our scheudle is a little easier, but other than the fact you usually have 1 good non conf and we do not, we both have played the Big 12... Not too bad, considering that hasn't been happening over many other 5 year periods in recent times...

I was in a coma during the Callahan era..I do not recall these last 5 years you speak of :dunno

I posted this in another thread but really what is everyone getting so pumped up about KU for? Our d line will be better and deeper than it was last year which manhandled their line. Our secondary will all come back for the most part and also have a ton of added depth, the same with the linebackers. We gave them a lot of points and shot ourselves in the foot on O a few times. IMO this game won't be all that close.

Guess you missed the last two times you boys came to Lawrence.

It will be close. I think we will win. As mentioned previously, though, our schedule could mean still not winning the North.

The last two times in Lawrence were also coached by Callahan. Who was out coached by Mangino all four years. Callahan is gone, thank you T.O.

KU has some positives going into next year with Reesing and Mangino. But the game is won in the trenches and NU has Suh. Suh will be the highest DT in next years draft and is going to wreak havok in KUs backfield.

NU improves more than expected from year one to year two and takes care of business in KU.

NU 31 KU 6 :bonez

Just a general comment on a thread that has been very interesting. I think KU has made progress and will do well next year. Their offense will be good although I like others think it will be a tall order to have 3 new starters in the center of the line. It was the center of the line that our coaches identified as Clemson's weekness and everyone saw what our D-line was able to do.

I decided to look at the last 2 years.

------------------------ku 07-----------ku 08------------nu 07----------nu 08

off. yards/gm--------4th 480yds-----7th 432yds-----5th 468yds-----6th 457yds

scoring offense------1st 43/gm------8th 33/gm------8th 33/gm------6th 35/gm

def yards/gm--------1st 317yds-----7th 397yds-----12th 477yds----2nd 350 yds

scoring deffense-----1st 16/gm-----7th 29/gm------12th 38/gm-----6th 29/gm

TO Margin------------1.62------------.23--------------(-1.42)----------(-.85)

In every case you will see how KU has slipped while NU has generally improved. KU fans are basing 09 success on their offense while NU fans are talking about their defense. I think KU is saying that their O is going to be just as good while NU is saying we are going to be better on D. I agree.

Now it appears to me that KU 07's success was more a result of great defense. I think a good defense will trump a good offense. I think the KU offense ave of 43 a game was a direct result of their defense and that plus 1.62 TO margin. If I remember right Special teams and TD's off of INT's also help them quite a bit.

I think replacing 3 multi year starters at LB will be very difficult for KU while NU is actually in a situation where several returning starters are going to have to step it up in order to keep their position.

I go with the defense here so I go with the Big Red