Can Cooper be successful

HANC

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Do baseball players even have a playbook they need to learn?

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Maybe get a neighbor kid to hit you some flies.

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

Haven't you ever had a class where you just showed up for the tests so you could spend more time at one of your part time jobs?

I don't think you give today's student/athlete enough credit.

They (hopefully) want the best player out there..The one that will get them in the Endzone..Not just starting Jr's or Sr's because they put in the most time and "deserve" it more.

It's not like Khiry is off playing video games when he's away from practice..If he shows up for one practice and suddenly starts looking like Larry Fitzgerald..You'll want him in there come gametime.

I had a Cousin that got to UNL a year before I did, on a track scholarship..But the real reason he went there was to play Football (as a walk-on)..I'm not sure what the NCAA rules were at the time, but I think he had to give up his Track Scholarship to be able play..Still..His Tripple Jump mark at the (HS) State meet could've gotten him second or third at the Big Eight meet.

Seems like there was (or should be) rules against loading up on scholarship athletes in other sports to feed your "money" sport.

I wish Khiry LUCK.

There's probably certain positions that make it a little easier to co-exist with other sports and with all the down-time in beisbol..hopefully he will be able to study while traveling to games.

Anyone know what Keekers do while everyone else is practicing with their position coaches?

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

Haven't you ever had a class where you just showed up for the tests so you could spend more time at one of your part time jobs?

They (hopefully) want the best player out there..The one that will get them in the Endzone..Not just starting Jr's or Sr's because they put in the most time and "deserve" it more.

It's not like Khiry is off playing video games when he's away from practice..If he shows up for one practice and suddenly starts looking like Larry Fitzgerald..You'll want him in there come gametime.

I had a Cousin that got to UNL a year before I did, on a track scholarship..But the real reason he went there was to play Football (as a walk-on)..I'm not sure what the NCAA rules were at the time, but I think he had to give up his Track Scholarship to be able play..Still..His Tripple Jump mark at the (HS) State meet could've gotten him second or third at the Big Eight meet.

Seems like there was (or should be) rules against loading up on scholarship athletes in other sports to feed your "money" sport.

I wish Khiry LUCK.

There's probably certain positions that make it a little easier to co-exist with other sports and with all the down-time in beisbol..hopefully he will be able to study while traveling to games.

Anyone know what Keekers do while everyone else is practicing with their position coaches?

I hope if he does it, and it sounds like he will, he is successful. I just think it would take one heck of a athlete to do it. Not many people have and done it well. So I am disappointed that they are allowing it. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think part of the problem with the Kickers is that they have been kicking too much in practice...and getting worn out. I think we need a Special Teams Coach to monitor what they are doing, and when. I think we would see more kicks out of the end zone if we had one.

Serious doubts.

Honest question...

dedhoarse

I wish Khiry LUCK.

I hope if he does it, and it sounds like he will, he is successful. I just think it would take one heck of a athlete to do it. Not many people have and done it well. So I am disappointed that they are allowing it. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think part of the problem with the Kickers is that they have been kicking too much in practice...and getting worn out. I think we need a Special Teams Coach to monitor what they are doing, and when. I think we would see more kicks out of the end zone if we had one.

disappointed that the kid is being allowed to live his dream?

disappointed that the staff is doing what they promised to do?

disappointed that the kid is doing something to help both his future and the team's future?

really? do you really think Bo would of promised the kid he could do both if he didn't think it was possible? Really think Bo would of cared to even try to get him on campus if he didn't think he could play football? Sorry, you're not a coach, no reason for you to be disappointed that they are allowing him to do something. Coaches know better than any of us.

good luck khiry, can't wait to see you on the baseball field in a month...

disappointed that the kid is doing something to help both his future and the team's future?

really? do you really think Bo would of promised the kid he could do both if he didn't think it was possible? Really think Bo would of cared to even try to get him on campus if he didn't think he could play football? Sorry, you're not a coach, no reason for you to be disappointed that they are allowing him to do something. Coaches know better than any of us.

Good points!

Almost makes me want to watch us play baseball if we ever get on tv out here...

Do the Huskers play @ ASU this year?

Good points!

Almost makes me want to watch us play baseball if we ever get on tv out here...

Do the Huskers play @ ASU this year?

meh, nope. I wish though.. our schedule isn't the easiest thing in the world, but if you look at it its kinda like a they shouldn't lose this game but very easily could aka Missouri State, et al. Stupid games like that. Could end up gettin shipped down there for a regional again all depends how the season goes if we can make the post season.. hopefully we can exceed all expectations, host, and get on national TV.. we'll see.

Maybe this is a dumb way to look at it, but he's a WR right? Most NFL experts all agree that WR is one of the only positions where a kid could leap to the NFL right out of high school and succeed. Basically, you just have to have the athletic ability. Considering this, I'd say he'll be just fine playing both sports. If he were to choose just one, I'd guess it would be baseball. Darrin Erstad did just fine doing both. However, he was a punter.

Maybe this is a dumb way to look at it, but he's a WR right? Most NFL experts all agree that WR is one of the only positions where a kid could leap to the NFL right out of high school and succeed. Basically, you just have to have the athletic ability. Considering this, I'd say he'll be just fine playing both sports. If he were to choose just one, I'd guess it would be baseball. Darrin Erstad did just fine doing both. However, he was a punter.

Good point. From what it sounds like he is one heck of an athlete. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets in the spring game. Is it April yet?

Good point. From what it sounds like he is one heck of an athlete. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets in the spring game. Is it April yet?

well... since he's not going to be partaking in spring practice, and the baseball team will be on the road at Texas A&M that weekend, i'm going to assume he will see 0 snaps during the spring game.

• 4 weeks later...