Can Cooper be successful

HANC

I always thought the team really became a team during the offseason. When they're all going thru the conditioning - when the real work is being done.

Conditioning?

In Baseball?

Oh..you mean drinkin' beers :clap

Still...So much for loading up on your classes durring the offseason.

(Anyone know his Major?)

Today's Omaha paper had a good article on Khiry Cooper. Told about how he is playing baseball and football. Sounds like both coaches have been "upfront" with him. Anderson was saying things like......"he will be treated like any other freshman...... he (Cooper) will probably not be much of a factor, especially early in the season......he is like any freshman, except he missed the fall.......Cooper will probably NOT be able to attend Spring football because the baseball schedule is so demanding"...... (all paraphrased)

Pretty matter of fact........but give Anderson credit for telling it like it is !

Anderson did say that Cooper had the type of personality that would allow him to possibly do both sports. Said that he was immediately impressed with Cooper's attitude, personality, etc (paraphrased)

Cooper said that "redshirting was tougest thing" he has ever been through, but thinks it will pay-off. Said Coach Bo has been very supportive of Cooper's attempt to play baseball, but Bo would like him to check-in during Spring ball as much as possible... Khiry said that baseball is his first love.

Not trying to start a huge debate, just stating my "gut-reaction" to a good article.

I am hoping that this kid doesn't get caught in a trap trying to pull-off 2 sports. Anderson has already "come acrossed" (to me) as sounding as if he would have liked Cooper "full-time"...... he made a point of making sure everyone realized Cooper missed fall ball......hope he doesn't hold it against the kid.... and Bo wants him at Spring ball, but sounds like that isn't going to happen either.......

I am sure it will all work out, but if his playing time is not as much as he would like, I wouldn't be surprised to see him concentrate on one sport.......BASEBALL.......his 1st love.

Usually just a kids superior talent can make up for the missed practices but the meetings missed is another story.

Pick one sport and stick with it, who's paying your college, football or baseball!!!

Unless he's the 2nd coming of bO jAckson, I don't think he can do it.

Stick to FB. :thumbs

I say let the kid play both. I remember when Dennis Dixon (oregon QB) was doing the same thing. He was on track to win the Heisman, and land a Major's gig. More power too ya Cooper, just don't burn yourself out kid!

I really don't see what other reason people would say to "stick with just football" other than the fact that they don't give a damn about baseball.. or no where NEAR as much. Kid is a helluva baseball player. I think Anderson saying he's going to be little to no factor on this season is coach speak for we'll treat him like a freshman. He'll rise up and get playing time. I mean hell, last year less talented players got playing time in the outfield. This year we lose Nimmo in center, and i'm sure it'd be easier to not have to move Belfonte out of right field if we don't have to. This kid has the speed that Anderson LOVES at the top of the line-up. He'll play. He can play both sports.. just be happy he actually CAME to the university.. easily could of gone pro with the angels and never seen campus. He has a much brighter future as a baseball player than he does as an NFL wide out...

I really don't see what other reason people would say to "stick with just football" other than the fact that they don't give a damn about baseball.. or no where NEAR as much. Kid is a helluva baseball player. I think Anderson saying he's going to be little to no factor on this season is coach speak for we'll treat him like a freshman. He'll rise up and get playing time. I mean hell, last year less talented players got playing time in the outfield. This year we lose Nimmo in center, and i'm sure it'd be easier to not have to move Belfonte out of right field if we don't have to. This kid has the speed that Anderson LOVES at the top of the line-up. He'll play. He can play both sports.. just be happy he actually CAME to the university.. easily could of gone pro with the angels and never seen campus. He has a much brighter future as a baseball player than he does as an NFL wide out...

Well, I was going to say it appears his future is in baseball, so he should go in that direction.....but I think we could really use his talents on the FB field! :yeah

It takes a really great athelte to compete in two sports. There was a kid on my college wrestling team who tried to play baseball and wrestle he did it for a year and a half and than was done. I think the same attitude needs to be taken here let him play both if he can't do it he will make a decison on which sport to play. Once he makes that choice that will bennifit both sports

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Do baseball players even have a playbook they need to learn?

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Maybe get a neighbor kid to hit you some flies.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

Serious doubts.

Honest question...

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

And then he'll get injured in one sport, probably FB, etc., etc.......

Serious doubts.

Honest question...

dedhoarse

And then he'll get injured in one sport, probably FB, etc., etc.......

The injury thing aside, he was getting rave reviews in FB practice this past season. He could be a really good one, question as HT puts it how will missing Spring Ball affect him? I am not sure I buy into the team will be pissed mentality. He will still be there for the tough fall camp and that is where spots are generally earned.