Can Cooper be successful

HANC

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Do baseball players even have a playbook they need to learn?

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Maybe get a neighbor kid to hit you some flies.

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

And then he'll get injured in one sport, probably FB, etc., etc.......

The injury thing aside, he was getting rave reviews in FB practice this past season. He could be a really good one, question as HT puts it how will missing Spring Ball affect him? I am not sure I buy into the team will be pissed mentality. He will still be there for the tough fall camp and that is where spots are generally earned.

Yea, missing spring ball seems like a huge issue to me and the other thing is we REALLY need another WR, so if he's that good at it he's gotta get with the program. I just don't see how you can do it half a$$'d, receiving takes a helluva lotta skill, timing with the QB; when's he gonna get the reps w the QB?

Sounds to me like he needs to just play baseball. It is going to be rough playing football after redshirting and then missing spring ball. I also am old school, our baseball coaches didn't want us lifting too many weights and getting too bulked up. I am not sold on this idea, and I know that in the days of steroids to bulk up baseball players, and all that, it seems the trend is to use the weight room.

I am really surprised Bo is going along with this, unless deep down he has doubts that Cooper will make it as a football player. Not many people can carry it off, playing two sports, and doing it well.

Serious doubts.

You really think Bo would waste a scholarship on a baseball player if he had doubts of his Football ability?

Honest question...

Seems like you could get all the baseball practice you need in an hour at the batting cage on the way home from Football practice.

Believe it or not, baseball players spend a lot of time practicing, traveling and playing games. Sounds to me like his heart is in baseball anyway - let the baseball team give the scholarship. He is going to in essence miss spring practice by playing baseball. If I was a kid that worked my butt off in spring practice and working with the number 1's, then someone like Cooper comes in the fall and takes my spot, I would be a little put off. I think either your dedicated to the football program or your not.

Football takes a lot of time learning schemes, working in the weight room, etc. If your scholarship is coming from football, football should take all priority. I am not liking this idea of playing two sports, it don't work out well more than it works. What you will get is a mediocre player in two sports at best 99.9% of the time.

dedhoarse

The injury thing aside, he was getting rave reviews in FB practice this past season. He could be a really good one, question as HT puts it how will missing Spring Ball affect him? I am not sure I buy into the team will be pissed mentality. He will still be there for the tough fall camp and that is where spots are generally earned.

Yea, missing spring ball seems like a huge issue to me and the other thing is we REALLY need another WR, so if he's that good at it he's gotta get with the program. I just don't see how you can do it half a$$'d, receiving takes a helluva lotta skill, timing with the QB; when's he gonna get the reps w the QB?

You mean other than Fall Ball?

Serious doubts.

Honest question...

dedhoarse

:yeah , I mean, usually rcvrs and qbs get together for hours on their own time to work on their timing.

Serious doubts.

Honest question...

dedhoarse

:yeah , I mean, usually rcvrs and qbs get together for hours on their own time to work on their timing.

Good point, I get that. I guess we can't judge until we see how much time he will make for this. If he does a lot of this in his "off" time from Baseball, then we will see. The other question is just which QB does he do this with? Would suck to do all of these reps with Witt only to have Lee or Spano win the job.

Well, I guess that's an issue, but if you are in there full time with the team maybe you get a sense of who's the cream of the crop. But x-tra reps with any qb could only help, they are all running the same plays....

I mean, I just don't want him to end up underachieving like Chris Brooks or after a year or so say, 'well, I'm going beisbol full time after all...' Just can't help but see some disruption in team unity there, especially amongst the receiving corps.

I really don't see what other reason people would say to "stick with just football" other than the fact that they don't give a damn about baseball.. or no where NEAR as much. Kid is a helluva baseball player. I think Anderson saying he's going to be little to no factor on this season is coach speak for we'll treat him like a freshman. He'll rise up and get playing time. I mean hell, last year less talented players got playing time in the outfield. This year we lose Nimmo in center, and i'm sure it'd be easier to not have to move Belfonte out of right field if we don't have to. This kid has the speed that Anderson LOVES at the top of the line-up. He'll play. He can play both sports.. just be happy he actually CAME to the university.. easily could of gone pro with the angels and never seen campus. He has a much brighter future as a baseball player than he does as an NFL wide out...

Well, I was going to say it appears his future is in baseball, so he should go in that direction.....but I think we could really use his talents on the FB field! :yeah

:yeah I think he might be able to play both, and the way it looking both teams need him to play

I really don't see what other reason people would say to "stick with just football" other than the fact that they don't give a damn about baseball.. or no where NEAR as much. Kid is a helluva baseball player. I think Anderson saying he's going to be little to no factor on this season is coach speak for we'll treat him like a freshman. He'll rise up and get playing time. I mean hell, last year less talented players got playing time in the outfield. This year we lose Nimmo in center, and i'm sure it'd be easier to not have to move Belfonte out of right field if we don't have to. This kid has the speed that Anderson LOVES at the top of the line-up. He'll play. He can play both sports.. just be happy he actually CAME to the university.. easily could of gone pro with the angels and never seen campus. He has a much brighter future as a baseball player than he does as an NFL wide out...

Well, I was going to say it appears his future is in baseball, so he should go in that direction.....but I think we could really use his talents on the FB field! :yeah

:yeah I think he might be able to play both, and the way it looking both teams need him to play

Well, more power to him if he can pull it off. :)

Well, I guess that's an issue, but if you are in there full time with the team maybe you get a sense of who's the cream of the crop. But x-tra reps with any qb could only help, they are all running the same plays....

I mean, I just don't want him to end up underachieving like Chris Brooks or after a year or so say, 'well, I'm going beisbol full time after all...' Just can't help but see some disruption in team unity there, especially amongst the receiving corps.

How many times do you see a receiver run the wrong route during a game and get his butt chewed by the QB? I think you have to be present to actually run the routes to know them, you can't just look at the play book and know where your supposed to be, and the QB won't know where to expect you to be, and how fast. I am totally against this idea of two sports.... :bang

I am sure we could give the scholarship to someone that wants to devote 110% to football, and is deserving. Like I said before, let the baseball program give the scholarship, and take the risk that he will get hurt playing football, and see if they have the same attitude. I think it is easy for Anderson to accept this deal, when he is not having to put anything out there...just reap the benefits if he does contribute to the baseball team.

This is one that I will totally disagree with Bo doing...but maybe he will learn a lesson here.

I know that some of you are really suprised that Bo would agree to this, but I think that is what got the kid to campus. I think the fact that Bo pushed the idea that if he came to play football, he would also get the opportunity to play baseball..... So, Bo is going out of his way to show people that "his word is good".... If he tells a player something, he will stick with his word. This will go a long way on building trust with future recruits. The football team may end up losing him, but it will be a HUGE step with Bo building his credibility when visiting future recruits. He can use this case as an example of "what he says, is the truth".......

Hopefully Cooper can pull it off, but I have my reservations, as stated in initial post. Good luck Khiry, and regardless, I think everyone is glad he is a HUSKER...... football or baseball. :)

The freaking Angels wanted him to sign bad. Anderson should shut the f up and let the kid play.

um..... wow. :bang

Drafted 5th round out of highschool so he must be good, let him play.

But yeah I remember when Dennis Dixon almost left football to play baseball. The Oregon football coach was mad at him because he was practicing baseball instead of football.

He has the talent to do both and it can be done.

What was the WR at Notre Dame a few years ago, very good WR, better Pitcher????

He is on football scholly because he want's an education, and doesn't want to give up football just yet. When his life as a husker is over he will be playing in the major leagues, it's that simple...

Bo knew when he recruited Khiry that he would be a two sport athlete, if Bo had a problem with it he wouldn't have extended a scholarship offer to him...... It's that simple....

I also agree that much of what Anderson said is "coach speak".....

I agree - Bo knew what was going on when he offered the scholorship to Cooper. I say give the kid a chance. My biggest concern is during the football offseason. Does he work with the qbs in 7 on 7? Does he take batting practice? Football first or baseball? Is he a baseball player playing football or the other way around? We'll find out soon enough.

He has the talent to do both and it can be done.

What was the WR at Notre Dame a few years ago, very good WR, better Pitcher????

He is on football scholly because he want's an education, and doesn't want to give up football just yet. When his life as a husker is over he will be playing in the major leagues, it's that simple...

Bo knew when he recruited Khiry that he would be a two sport athlete, if Bo had a problem with it he wouldn't have extended a scholarship offer to him...... It's that simple....

I also agree that much of what Anderson said is "coach speak".....

Jeff Samardzija

The freaking Angels wanted him to sign bad. Anderson should shut the f up and let the kid play.

um..... wow. :bang

Drafted 5th round out of highschool so he must be good, let him play.

But yeah I remember when Dennis Dixon almost left football to play baseball. The Oregon football coach was mad at him because he was practicing baseball instead of football.

My point there was someone telling Anderson how to do his job what not.. read my other post ,said he's gonna play.. he will.. don't worry about that.. I'm actually very surprised that it's a minority that say he should try to play both and see what happens, and very surprised that anyone thinks he should only play football.. like wow. Also, if you're a husker fan, as in enjoy watching all sports succeed, him being a football scholarship is a HUGE help to the baseball team if he contributes in ANY WAY to the football team. like someone else said he was getting great reviews in practices this past season, and i'm sure he can do well.. 11.7 scholarships only stretch so many ways to a baseball team.....

edit..

and before i get ripped there i mean actually really contribute to the team.. make plays as a wide out etc.. not just take up space on the practice field..