Taylor Martinez to decommitt?

i have gotta think you are wrong, with all due respect. martinez is a better athlete than cody green judging by his highlights and the fact that he runs a reported 4.4 40 and green only runs a 4.6 40.

he will get his shot, the coaches would not be smart if they did not give him his shot. he is a very good athlete and he will get his shot.

Based on what? Seriously, this is something that has bugged me for months about the Martinez hype. What does he do that makes he so good as a QB on the next level? Because he put up some stats in HS? So did Beau Davis out in Cali and I doubt anyone here wants a reincarnation of him. Beau threw for insane stat line of like completing 70% of his passes, 40 TDs and over 3k yards.

As I said, if Taylor was half the QB most think he is, this would not even be a discussion. He would be playing QB without question. Not only that, but schools across the country would be burying him in offers already. He may still get that late token offer, but a QB the talent he supposedly has should not have to wait. Unfortunately, only Husker fans see his QB skills while Shawn Watson and numerous other QB gurus across the country are missing out.

And since when does a 40 yard dash have to do with being an "athlete"? Cody is bigger, stronger, as fast, quicker, stronger arm -- I could go on and on, but you get the point. Cody could play any position from QB, WR, TE, S, LB, DE -- the kid has that much athletic ability in him.

I'm gonna go on record and say that Taylor will NEVER see significant time under center at Nebraska, whether in practice or game. As I said, if he does, it will be just to shut him up about playing QB and nothing else.

I'm never that bold to say something like that, so that should tell you something.

ok. cody green has also been recruited by some schools to play other positions. just because you think one player is going to be a better qb because some recruiting service (rivals) told you he would be, does not make it so.

Freeman was a good HS qb and is very athletic and big, just like cody green. i dont know about you but i would have rather had joe ganz starting for us than freeman this past season.

and yes speed does have something to do with athletic ability.

this is reminding me of Travis Lewis. decommits so OU can give him a "shot" to play RB... then he RS's and is playing lb a year later...... Think he would have helped us this year?

as a side note, I am not comparing the players... just the situations

Quite a bit similar.

ok. cody green has also been recruited by some schools to play other positions. just because you think one player is going to be a better qb because some recruiting service (rivals) told you he would be, does not make it so.

Freeman was a good HS qb and is very athletic and big, just like cody green. i dont know about you but i would have rather had joe ganz starting for us than freeman this past season.

Cody was recruited by only aTm and LSU as an athlete. Everyone else across the country recruited him as a straight QB.

Can you say that for Taylor? No one has recruited that guy as a QB. Not even the school he is committed to.

Again, just tell me what you see on film that makes him so good. Enlighten me as to what you see that no other college evaluator has noticed.

It just boggles my mind sometimes how we complete overrate some of the kids we get. Call a spade a spade for once. Kid is a helluva athlete, just not a QB.

Man, when have I EVER based my thoughts off of a Rivals ranking? In fact, I think most of them are so completely full of garbage it is sickening.

I actually had the opportunity to speak with one Rivals writer last year at the Boo Williams Invitational (basketball tourney) and even he was quite candid in how Rivals approaches its rankings. Basically, just get an offer from SC and you are made according to most of their 'analysts'.

I'll still never forget Bobby Burton watching ONE game of Barry Turner's and determined he was overrated. Barry went to HS where Rivals HQ is located, but these guys watched ONE game and determined he needed to be dropped in the rankings. Barry then proceeds to be a freshman All-American. :lol:

If I went by any rankings, it would at least be ESPN. While I don't agree with their rankings for the most part, they at least are willing to give you significant insight into what they thought of the player based on his film and why he got the ranking they did. Rivals just says here is our ranking, take it or leave it.

And as a matter of fact, Martinez is not ranked far behind Green on Rivals anyways.

Speed is only one dimension you brought up in athleticism, because if you would have brought up all the other things, you would have all but admitted how much better an athlete Green is than Martinez. Nice try though. :)

What harm could it do to let him try out for q/b. He seems to be a bright kid and I'm sure it wouldn't take much time for him or Watson to see if he has a future at that position. The kid wants to be in the middle of the action, can't blame him for that, but his talent will shake it self out and he will land at a position hes good at. IMO

GBR!!!

What harm? The integrity of the coaching staff. They told Green that he was the ONLY QB in this class.. now, Cody is on campus and they tell Martinez he has a shot to compete for a QB spot. 1) that may cause Green to be pissed off, possibly leave, after all it is a LIE told to him if it happesn... 2) shows recruits across the nation we'll tell you anything just to get you here, then go back on our word and not follow through.

It seems that everyone is letting quarterback decommits from the past scare you pretty bad with this one.

Does anyone really believe that Rivals is the first place Cody Green heard that Taylor Martinez might get a shot at QB? Does anyone believe that the coaches would not be talking to Cody? That is just foolishness.

I mean Rivals reported that Cody and Taylor spent time together on Taylor's official, so clearly they are approaching this with maturity and both feel informed about what is happening. Everyone needs to just relax on this issue a little bit and enjoy the ride, in my opinion.

Also, check out Martinez's highlight video on huskerextra.com.

this is reminding me of Travis Lewis. decommits so OU can give him a "shot" to play RB... then he RS's and is playing lb a year later...... Think he would have helped us this year?

as a side note, I am not comparing the players... just the situations

Quite a bit similar.

Cody was recruited by only aTm and LSU as an athlete. Everyone else across the country recruited him as a straight QB.

Can you say that for Taylor? No one has recruited that guy as a QB. Not even the school he is committed to.

Again, just tell me what you see on film that makes him so good. Enlighten me as to what you see that no other college evaluator has noticed.

It just boggles my mind sometimes how we complete overrate some of the kids we get. Call a spade a spade for once. Kid is a helluva athlete, just not a QB.

Man, when have I EVER based my thoughts off of a Rivals ranking? In fact, I think most of them are so completely full of garbage it is sickening.

I actually had the opportunity to speak with one Rivals writer last year at the Boo Williams Invitational (basketball tourney) and even he was quite candid in how Rivals approaches its rankings. Basically, just get an offer from SC and you are made according to most of their 'analysts'.

I'll still never forget Bobby Burton watching ONE game of Barry Turner's and determined he was overrated. Barry went to HS where Rivals HQ is located, but these guys watched ONE game and determined he needed to be dropped in the rankings. Barry then proceeds to be a freshman All-American. :lol:

If I went by any rankings, it would at least be ESPN. While I don't agree with their rankings for the most part, they at least are willing to give you significant insight into what they thought of the player based on his film and why he got the ranking they did. Rivals just says here is our ranking, take it or leave it.

And as a matter of fact, Martinez is not ranked far behind Green on Rivals anyways.

Speed is only one dimension you brought up in athleticism, because if you would have brought up all the other things, you would have all but admitted how much better an athlete Green is than Martinez. Nice try though. :)

But it is interesting to note that a lot of times the kids with 5-stars have a boatload of offers from top-tier programs. Look as USCs commitment page and you'll see just about all of them are 4* or above. It is interesting that you mention getting an offer from SC can actually change the rating, though. That sort of calls the whole game into question if that's the case with all of them.

I guess the best place to determine what kind of recruit you have is on the field. In three years if we're competing at a high level with the best programs, we'll be forced to conclude Bo Pelini is a solid recruiter and coach. How else can you really measure it if rankings don't count for much?

But it is interesting to note that a lot of times the kids with 5-stars have a boatload of offers from top-tier programs. Look as USCs commitment page and you'll see just about all of them are 4* or above. It is interesting that you mention getting an offer from SC can actually change the rating, though. That sort of calls the whole game into question if that's the case with all of them.

I guess the best place to determine what kind of recruit you have is on the field. In three years if we're competing at a high level with the best programs, we'll be forced to conclude Bo Pelini is a solid recruiter and coach. How else can you really measure it if rankings don't count for much?

There are alot of schools who will just follow what others do.

I'm gonna throw some examples out, just in recent memory.

Zach Domicone - Marginal talent, but Bo throws out an offer for a defender. In the matter of 2 weeks, the kid goes from having a couple MAC offers to having offers from Ohio State and Oklahoma, among others.

Bennie Logan - Had offers from places like ULM and LA Tech. Bo throws an offer his way and suddenly Michigan and LSU, among others, have interest and end up offering.

The reality is that some of these schools trust other talent evaluations more than their own sometimes. Pete Carroll is an unquestionable talent evaluator, which is why so many people across the country trust his talent evaluations, especially when it comes to a lesser known player.

USC is gonna get the best of the best regardless. But my point is more aimed at an unknown guy that grabs a USC offer rather than the Matt Barkley, TJ McDonald, Devon Kennard type talents they get year after year. Any redneck could look at those guys and realize their talent. :P

Vaughn Telemaque is an example of what I am getting. Average three star guy, recruited by guys like Oregon and Michigan. USC offers and suddenly he has offers from every school across the country. Goes from a 3* talent to a top 250 talent and one of the most highly coveted players in the country.

What harm could it do to let him try out for q/b. He seems to be a bright kid and I'm sure it wouldn't take much time for him or Watson to see if he has a future at that position. The kid wants to be in the middle of the action, can't blame him for that, but his talent will shake it self out and he will land at a position hes good at. IMO

GBR!!!

What harm? The integrity of the coaching staff. They told Green that he was the ONLY QB in this class.. now, Cody is on campus and they tell Martinez he has a shot to compete for a QB spot. 1) that may cause Green to be pissed off, possibly leave, after all it is a LIE told to him if it happesn... 2) shows recruits across the nation we'll tell you anything just to get you here, then go back on our word and not follow through.

No offense but you don't know what you are talking about here. Cody was not remotely blindsided. In Martinez's update from June it stated that while he wasn't being recruited as a qb he'd get a shot as one. He committed in August, way before Cody was on campus. Cody knew about Martinez and he still came.

Everybody involved here knows the score. Martinez knows Green is here and knows he has to beat Green or go play safety/wr, if he was dead-set on qb I don't think he'd have picked us. If Green was pissed about or feared Martinez he'd have looked elsewhere.

Not speaking of these two specifically but this scenario when it comes up. I dont want a premadonna who expects the position handed to him. I want a kid who knows he has to compete for that job week in and week out. Give me someone who is tough as nails and will work their tails off anyday of the week. Heart is huge in football. Just look at the turnaround from 2007 to 2008. Heart is a HUGE difference. If any recruit is mad that they have to fight for a job then don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

As far as the coaches being deceptive, didn't they say from the beginning Green is THE QB in the class but Martinez will have a chance to compete? How's that lying to the kid. Just my two cents.

I finally got a chance to see the De La Salle game on TV here in Vegas today during halftime of the SB. He does have a strong arm when it comes to short routes. He will probably get a chance to see if he could be a QB but I think he doesn't have what Green has(mind you according to video's i've seen and the 1 full game for Martinez). It could be interesting and Martinez is quite the athlete. He took some shots in the game and dished out his own hits as well. I think with his ability he would be best on the defense, then again I am not a coach. Good luck to the kid, I can see he'll work hard and do whatever is needed of him, even if it is to move to another position other than QB.