Taylor Martinez to decommitt?

I thought Bo told him he would have his shot to compete at QB??? :dunno

The only thing the coaches have promised as far as QB's is that Cody would be the only QB in this class and they are keeping to that.

Martinez has said he'll be given a shot at QB. I wonder if perhaps Cody Green is the only definite QB in the class, as in he will definitely not be changing positions. Martinez on the other hand it truly being recruited as an athlete, and will be given a shot at several positions, one of them being QB. Just my guess.

I know what Martinez said and what Martinez wants. What Martinez wants and what the coaches want are two different things right now. If, and only if (and I doubt it happens), Martinez gets a shot at QB, it will be a Prince Amukamara type shot. Just enough to please him before you get moved to another position.

That is why if any team steps up with an offer to let him play QB, watch out. Right now, he is not gonna play QB for us regardless of what he says.

It almost reminds me of the Joshua Brown thing how he kept telling recruiting sites he was fully qualified already when he was anything but and is still not out of the clear.

The only thing the coaches have promised as far as QB's is that Cody would be the only QB in this class and they are keeping to that.

According to the article from the LA Times, Martinez stated he will have a chance to compete for the Qb position. Whether or not that happens is yet to be determined, but I'm sure hell be staying a Husker.

Like I said, Martinez wants it. Coaches -- not so much. Martinez has more work to do on his mechanics than Cody Green and I think people know my stance on Cody's throwing motion. Take Cody Green, throw out some athleticism, deplete the mechanics even more, take away 4 inches and 50lbs and you have Taylor Martinez.

Now don't get that twisted that I'm bagging on Taylor. Kid is an athlete and worthy of his offer, just not as a QB. He can think what he wants about his talent behind center, but if he were as good a QB as he thinks or even some of our fans think, why has he not been pounded by late offers from schools who will let him play QB, no strings attached?

Now I get it, we look at him and think he is a complete stud. It's natural we do it, because we do it with everyone of our commits. But if we take the blinders off for a second and look at this without our Husker colored shades, we don't see any other schools knocking on this kids door with an offer just in hopes they may be able to get him to switch.

And before someone says maybe Martinez told other schools he was solid and it would not matter -- you show me a school that backs off because a recruit said that and I'll show you a school that can't recruit worth a darn. No school cares, because they all think they will be able to turn a kid if they are persistent enough.

But really, Taylor is alot like Cody in the fact his offense was simple with the athletes he had. Simple one read spread option offense. With the athletes he had, his offense was almost too simple to run some times.

You come to Nebraska, it is gonna be nowhere near that simple. Watson's offense is complex. People get confused in the fact they think it is moving to a spread attack when in reality Watson is just running the WCO out of a shotgun formation for the most part. He mixes in the zone reads, but it is no way a spread attack. You still have multiple reads, check downs, etc., which makes it tough for ANY quarterback to learn the multiple formations, routes, checks, coverages, audibles and everything else he has to know play-to-play.

Martinez has said he'll be given a shot at QB. I wonder if perhaps Cody Green is the only definite QB in the class, as in he will definitely not be changing positions. Martinez on the other hand it truly being recruited as an athlete, and will be given a shot at several positions, one of them being QB. Just my guess.

I know what Martinez said and what Martinez wants. What Martinez wants and what the coaches want are two different things right now. If, and only if (and I doubt it happens), Martinez gets a shot at QB, it will be a Prince Amukamara type shot. Just enough to please him before you get moved to another position.

That is why if any team steps up with an offer to let him play QB, watch out. Right now, he is not gonna play QB for us regardless of what he says.

It almost reminds me of the Joshua Brown thing how he kept telling recruiting sites he was fully qualified already when he was anything but and is still not out of the clear.

According to the article from the LA Times, Martinez stated he will have a chance to compete for the Qb position. Whether or not that happens is yet to be determined, but I'm sure hell be staying a Husker.

Like I said, Martinez wants it. Coaches -- not so much. Martinez has more work to do on his mechanics than Cody Green and I think people know my stance on Cody's throwing motion. Take Cody Green, throw out some athleticism, deplete the mechanics even more, take away 4 inches and 50lbs and you have Taylor Martinez.

Now don't get that twisted that I'm bagging on Taylor. Kid is an athlete and worthy of his offer, just not as a QB. He can think what he wants about his talent behind center, but if he were as good a QB as he thinks or even some of our fans think, why has he not been pounded by late offers from schools who will let him play QB, no strings attached?

Now I get it, we look at him and think he is a complete stud. It's natural we do it, because we do it with everyone of our commits. But if we take the blinders off for a second and look at this without our Husker colored shades, we don't see any other schools knocking on this kids door with an offer just in hopes they may be able to get him to switch.

And before someone says maybe Martinez told other schools he was solid and it would not matter -- you show me a school that backs off because a recruit said that and I'll show you a school that can't recruit worth a darn. No school cares, because they all think they will be able to turn a kid if they are persistent enough.

But really, Taylor is alot like Cody in the fact his offense was simple with the athletes he had. Simple one read spread option offense. With the athletes he had, his offense was almost too simple to run some times.

You come to Nebraska, it is gonna be nowhere near that simple. Watson's offense is complex. People get confused in the fact they think it is moving to a spread attack when in reality Watson is just running the WCO out of a shotgun formation for the most part. He mixes in the zone reads, but it is no way a spread attack. You still have multiple reads, check downs, etc., which makes it tough for ANY quarterback to learn the multiple formations, routes, checks, coverages, audibles and everything else he has to know play-to-play.

i have gotta think you are wrong, with all due respect. martinez is a better athlete than cody green judging by his highlights and the fact that he runs a reported 4.4 40 and green only runs a 4.6 40.

he will get his shot, the coaches would not be smart if they did not give him his shot. he is a very good athlete and he will get his shot.

I agree that Cody Green is the better prospect. What I was getting at really was that I doubt he decommits to somewhere else if he truly believes he has a shot here at Nebraska. He will probably have the "opportunity" to try out the QB spot, but in reality he is going to be playing a different position in college. Hopefully he stays on though, I think he could be a good contributer at another spot on the team.

i have gotta think you are wrong, with all due respect. martinez is a better athlete than cody green judging by his highlights and the fact that he runs a reported 4.4 40 and green only runs a 4.6 40.

he will get his shot, the coaches would not be smart if they did not give him his shot. he is a very good athlete and he will get his shot.

I still wish we had Carricker playing some QB for us back in the day. He could huck a ball 70 yards on crutches. Some guys can just play football, I wouldn't worry since Martinez looks locked and Cody is already on campus.

Based on what? Seriously, this is something that has bugged me for months about the Martinez hype. What does he do that makes he so good as a QB on the next level? Because he put up some stats in HS? So did Beau Davis out in Cali and I doubt anyone here wants a reincarnation of him. Beau threw for insane stat line of like completing 70% of his passes, 40 TDs and over 3k yards.

As I said, if Taylor was half the QB most think he is, this would not even be a discussion. He would be playing QB without question. Not only that, but schools across the country would be burying him in offers already. He may still get that late token offer, but a QB the talent he supposedly has should not have to wait. Unfortunately, only Husker fans see his QB skills while Shawn Watson and numerous other QB gurus across the country are missing out.

And since when does a 40 yard dash have to do with being an "athlete"? Cody is bigger, stronger, as fast, quicker, stronger arm -- I could go on and on, but you get the point. Cody could play any position from QB, WR, TE, S, LB, DE -- the kid has that much athletic ability in him.

I'm gonna go on record and say that Taylor will NEVER see significant time under center at Nebraska, whether in practice or game. As I said, if he does, it will be just to shut him up about playing QB and nothing else.

I'm never that bold to say something like that, so that should tell you something.

What harm could it do to let him try out for q/b. He seems to be a bright kid and I'm sure it wouldn't take much time for him or Watson to see if he has a future at that position. The kid wants to be in the middle of the action, can't blame him for that, but his talent will shake it self out and he will land at a position hes good at. IMO

GBR!!!

this is reminding me of Travis Lewis. decommits so OU can give him a "shot" to play RB... then he RS's and is playing lb a year later...... Think he would have helped us this year?

as a side note, I am not comparing the players... just the situations

Wasn't he B12 freshman defesive player of the year?

Based on what? Seriously, this is something that has bugged me for months about the Martinez hype. What does he do that makes he so good as a QB on the next level? Because he put up some stats in HS? So did Beau Davis out in Cali and I doubt anyone here wants a reincarnation of him. Beau threw for insane stat line of like completing 70% of his passes, 40 TDs and over 3k yards.

*cough *cough ....Harrison Beck

As I said, if Taylor was half the QB most think he is, this would not even be a discussion. He would be playing QB without question. Not only that, but schools across the country would be burying him in offers already. He may still get that late token offer, but a QB the talent he supposedly has should not have to wait. Unfortunately, only Husker fans see his QB skills while Shawn Watson and numerous other QB gurus across the country are missing out.

And since when does a 40 yard dash have to do with being an "athlete"? Cody is bigger, stronger, as fast, quicker, stronger arm -- I could go on and on, but you get the point. Cody could play any position from QB, WR, TE, S, LB, DE -- the kid has that much athletic ability in him.

I'm gonna go on record and say that Taylor will NEVER see significant time under center at Nebraska, whether in practice or game. As I said, if he does, it will be just to shut him up about playing QB and nothing else.

I'm never that bold to say something like that, so that should tell you something.

I think that basically says it. Across the nation people whose sole occupation is assessing quarterback talent are missing the boat because someone with a scout account saw a highlight reel. Maybe the "never ever never" part might be a bit soon, because you just never know––maybe the kid takes to coaching and has a Moses on the mountain conversion to the WCO and ends up being Tom Brady's second coming. Unlikely, but to be perfectly honest I'm hoping he works out at DB better than QB. We're hurting for fast, mean, ball-aware defensive backs. How many INTs did our secondary get last season? Probably less than our line.

Bottom line, I want what's best for the team. If he can play QB at this level, give him a look just in case you are missing Brett Favre's illegitimate son. But I hope people aren't shocked when it turns out he's just not meant to be Nebraska's shining quarterback star.

Martinez WILL be playing QB for Nebraska, just for Carl at the free safety position calling the defense. Same as HS stud QB Daniel Bullocks. Pelini loves athletic/smart HS QBs to play safety for him because, well, he was one himself then went on to Ohio State to play safety calling the defense.

It's not to hard to figure out, Pelini will continue to recruit fast, athletic, smart HS QBs to come to NU to quarterback the defense. His defenses are based on that with stud line play.