Patrick Witt

Source: Witt set to leave NU

It appears sophomore-to-be quarterback Patrick Witt indeed has taken the necessary steps to leave the Nebraska program.

A source close to the situation confirmed a Scout.com report that Witt has asked for a release from his scholarship.

Witt leaving would leave junior-to-be Zac Lee, sophomore-to-be Kody Spano and true freshman Cody Green as frontrunners to replace the departed Joe Ganz as starter.

Witt appeared in five games this past season and completed 6 of 8 passes for 48 yards while rushing four times for 20 yards and a TD.

Is there a chance Witt could still decide to play for NU? Yes, it's possible, although it seems unlikely based on what we're hearing.

More on this as the story unfolds.

Link: LJS Blog

the offense isn't what he wants and since he isn't a mobile QB he is kind of the odd man out with the likes of Lee and Green in the mix. Coach Watson has made it clear that he wants a mobile QB to run this offense and has made it a point to those who bring him recruiting film that he will never recruit a pocket passer (without running ability) ever again.

Just a thought:

I imagine this could have something to do with the future plans regarding the evolution of the offense. I'm not saying we're going to switch to Florida's offense or anything but I bet we're going to continue to have more read-option type situations in the future (based on our qb recruits) and he probably saw the writing on the wall during talks with Watson and others during this off-season.

Plus, he was a Cally recruit and BCally is still in New York and Favre has retired...leaving the position wide open. :sarcasm

the offense isn't what he wants and since he isn't a mobile QB he is kind of the odd man out with the likes of Lee and Green in the mix. Coach Watson has made it clear that he wants a mobile QB to run this offense and has made it a point to those who bring him recruiting film that he will never recruit a pocket passer (without running ability) ever again.

Really.

There is a log jam and if he's the least mobile then why sit if you can go somewhere else and play that will suit your ability.

He was the #2 QB for all of last year and has always been lauded for his ability to pick up the system, which is a complicated one at that. I really don't buy that he is not fit for this offense.