Patrick Witt

I personaly did not expect Witt to start, but I'm a little disapointed to see him go. If for no other reason than the added competition his skill set would have provided in the spring.

As for Witt sabotaging Green with false signals, I have a hard time buying this. Their in the middle of winter conditioning. All the QB drills would be informal at this point. Could it be true, sure. But the skeptic in me really doubts this story. <_<

One thing I'm not suprised about is the inevitable "now Green has an even better chance to start" posts. So let me be the first to say, NO Green is no closer to starting now than he was last week. He is not going to magicaly learn the playbook over night. And his throwing mechanics aren't going to turn into Peyton Manning's either. It's good that the fan base is excited about Green. But we all need to temper our expectations a bit. (or ALOT in some cases!) He has a lot of work ahead of him.

:yeah

Anyone who says that this happened because Witt is being outshined by other quarterbacks is not paying attention. They aren't doing any official practices or anything right now, so saying that the "writing was on the wall" seems pretty absurd. The rest of the quarterbacks will have to compete with each other the same as if witt was there. All this does it present us with a very clear front runner at this point to talk about on message boards.

Other things i have heard rumored: During the Gator bowl, if Ganz hadn't come back, then Lee was going to be going in. I have heard that Witt was done for the game and that Lee was getting the next drive. Can't really substantiate that since i have heard it all through the grapevine, but maybe others have heard that as well.

I personaly did not expect Witt to start, but I'm a little disapointed to see him go. If for no other reason than the added competition his skill set would have provided in the spring.

As for Witt sabotaging Green with false signals, I have a hard time buying this. Their in the middle of winter conditioning. All the QB drills would be informal at this point. Could it be true, sure. But the skeptic in me really doubts this story. <_<

One thing I'm not suprised about is the inevitable "now Green has an even better chance to start" posts. So let me be the first to say, NO Green is no closer to starting now than he was last week. He is not going to magicaly learn the playbook over night. And his throwing mechanics aren't going to turn into Peyton Manning's either. It's good that the fan base is excited about Green. But we all need to temper our expectations a bit. (or ALOT in some cases!) He has a lot of work ahead of him.

To me the most intriging angle in all this may be the opprotunity that Taylor Martinez has to get in the QB mix. Granted he still has a hell of a hill to climb with Green, and his fall enrollment. But if Taylor really wants to play QB, this maybe exactly what he needed to get his foot in the door.

yes he is. if lee gets hurt i would say he has a great chance at getting the nod. i wouldnt be saying that if witt was still here

I dont want to bag on the kid since he is just that a kid. He might know the play book but everytime he stepped on the field last year he just didnt seem like he was ready, he got really jittery and such had a couple of fumbles.

Well, in defense of the kid, I'd be pretty damn jittery if I had limited playing time and I was being thrown into games in front of thousands of people. Just saying :dunno

He should transfer to ISU they always need a QB.

I lol'd. :rollin

Here is something I got an in an email, a rumor/source of info

"what happened is that this husker team emphasizes family and brotherhood and not individuality. Witt struggled with that concept and when called on some of his behavior by fellow teammates and staff, he reacted immaturely, and was informally "disciplined" by a fellow teammate for doing so. dad requested a meeting to straighten things out. The coaches said they wanted Patrick to stay but that they supported the players and staff who called him out on the specific behavior at issue because it was not consistent with our principles of family, brotherhood and leadership. He then apparently felt unwanted and decided to leave."

I'm glad someone else brought this up so i didnt have to be the first. I have heard stories like this as far back as last year up until now. Supposedly alot of guys on the team didnt like Witt and the way he handled himself. It really doesnt surprise me. Plus it frees up another scholly.

If this is true GOOD RIDDENCE - Why are people BITCH'S?

I dont want to bag on the kid since he is just that a kid. He might know the play book but everytime he stepped on the field last year he just didnt seem like he was ready, he got really jittery and such had a couple of fumbles.

Well, in defense of the kid, I'd be pretty damn jittery if I had limited playing time and I was being thrown into games in front of thousands of people. Just saying :dunno

He should transfer to ISU they always need a QB.

I lol'd. :rollin

True but when Lee came in for the one drive he didnt seem to have the same problems that Witt did when he was in. I'm sure in practice Witt was better then Lee but in the game Lee looked better then Witt did.

Witt went to four different High Schools in two diferent States, before he came to Nebraska. IMO maybe he is looking for someone to tailor an offense that will showcase his skills so that one day he can make the NFL. No doubt he has the intelligence and skills to play the position, and I hope he can find a place where he can be successfull.

I wish him luck where ever he goes, I just hope he leaves the Big 12...

The only bad thing is no one knows what this kid may or may not be capable of, it would suck to see him on the other sideline tearing NU up. :angry: I am sure he will land somewhere, good luck to whatever he does and leave NU behind. Closed chapter....

I wish him luck where ever he goes, I just hope he leaves the Big 12...

The only bad thing is no one knows what this kid may or may not be capable of, it would suck to see him on the other sideline tearing NU up. :angry: I am sure he will land somewhere, good luck to whatever he does and leave NU behind. Closed chapter....

I actually kinda hope this kid goes to another Big 12 school. The last QB to do that was Josh Freeman, and we made him look like an idiot every year he played against us.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is because he just has a hard time ''getting along'' with teammates. Just because you are playing a team sport doesn't mean you can play well with others. Sometimes being so smart can be a hindrance more than help. I don't buy the "wasn't going to get playing time" because his skills don't fit what NU was trying to do.

We do have someone else who will step in and fill his shoes. The problem is, what happens when the ONE guy we have that has any experience with the 1's gets hurt? We are an injury away from going into this season with Spano or Green being the starter. With a batch of new receivers, young running backs and a ? at qb, I can't believe Witt's departure doesn't have more on this board in a panic. Sure we don't want a bad apple or guy that doesn't want to be here, but it would sure be better if he was a good teammate and everyone liked him. We are much closer to being in a position where we are possibly playing a guy who makes us look like we have never played football before.

Tommie Frazier was probably the most hated player by his teammates to ever wear red, but they all had great respect for him and his abilities. You don't have to like everyone you play with, but there has got to be a mutual respect there to accomplish the same goal. Whether he was hated or not by the team makes little difference. Apparently the problem came from lack of respect. This is a huge loss. Thank goodness Suh came back for his senior year because the D is gonna have to pave the way in 09'.

Here is something I got an in an email, a rumor/source of info

"what happened is that this husker team emphasizes family and brotherhood and not individuality. Witt struggled with that concept and when called on some of his behavior by fellow teammates and staff, he reacted immaturely, and was informally "disciplined" by a fellow teammate for doing so. dad requested a meeting to straighten things out. The coaches said they wanted Patrick to stay but that they supported the players and staff who called him out on the specific behavior at issue because it was not consistent with our principles of family, brotherhood and leadership. He then apparently felt unwanted and decided to leave."

I'm glad someone else brought this up so i didnt have to be the first. I have heard stories like this as far back as last year up until now. Supposedly alot of guys on the team didnt like Witt and the way he handled himself. It really doesnt surprise me. Plus it frees up another scholly.

Also another line of info from my source:

"My sources all told me lee was the odds on favorite to win the job anyway. More mobile and a better arm. But now lee better stay healthy"