Patrick Witt

I am sorry for this generalization, but this is new age thinking.

Everything for me and to hell with you.

He quit, no other answer. I do not care if he is the nicest guy or the biggest Ahole in the world. He signed an agreement to play football for Nebraska. Things did not go his way for what ever reason. So he pulls up his panties and runs home to mommy and daddy. Where the hell would this program be if Ganz had done the same. He lacks faith in his ability or his dedication. He is absolutely no loss to this program. He opens a spot that Bo can put a kid in that wants to be a Husker. Everyday not just the good days.

I have said for ever, that BC recruited less than stellar character. Another in the long line of quitter QB's that he tricked, lied to or promised the world. Maybe he is to blame for these defections, I do not know, but deep down it is the individual that quits. Quitters never win, Winners never quit.

I have no use for some one that says one thing and then if it does not turn out peaches and cream they quit.

I know I am old Jar Head, and quitting is a sin, but I have felt that since I was in the 5th grade getting my scrawny as handed to me in wrestling. Some are to be stars, others are to make stars. You do all you can until you can't do it any more.

Quitter, if that offends him too bad. One way to cure it. Don't Quit.

As for getting paid, they do alright, I am sure there are few 19-20 year old kids in Iraq that could put up with the very tough life he has had to live. He has talent, apply it. If your good enough you play, that is the real world.

If he wanted to be a Husker he would do it. Much easier to go some place else. Good riddance.

You dont have to apologize for speaking your mind. I agree with most of what you said, commitment, not quitting and breaking his word... all bad things and definitely signs of the new ME generation. I think his attitude would have affected his play on the field, instead of doing for the team he will do for Pat... and probably cost the team in the process. lets hope zac is like the taylor variety! GO BIG RED!!

How do you know he quit? Maybe he was asked to go.

He asked for a release from his scholarship... that is QUITTING in my book, friend. :cop:

Whatever happened, I doubt he was asked to leave. He did ask for a release from his scholarship so that naturally makes me assume that he wanted out. Then again, to avoid publicly awkward situations, people are often asked to retire/quit (especially in the NFL) or else they will be fired. Same thing could have happened here, with the coaches saying either leave under your own will or we will pull your scholarship.

Either way, we don't know for sure what happened so there is no real answer.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...2c306208096.txt

link to article at LJS

looks like he was shying from the competition imo. you can't have players (and their parents) dictating when you will do what you do.

indeed. the other shoe drops...

Steven M. Sipple: Witt-NU relationship needed to end

Patrick Witt seemed in prime position at Nebraska.

He was the most experienced of the four quarterbacks who would compete for the starting job beginning next month in spring drills. It was conceivable Witt could become a three-year starter. On the surface, Witt’s situation was full of promise.

Below the surface, there were significant issues in the Witt-Nebraska relationship — issues that made the split essentially a no-brainer.

Gene Witt, the player’s father, confirmed Sunday his son is leaving Lincoln in May after finishing the semester. According to sources close to the situation, the sophomore-to-be firmly believed he wouldn’t receive a fair shake in the quarterback competition. Witt feared the coaching staff strongly favored junior-to-be Zac Lee.

There was another issue, one that ultimately spelled doom for the relationship.

According to a source close to the Nebraska program, Witt and his father sought assurance from Husker coaches that the coaches would name the starting quarterback at the end of spring practice. That way, if Witt wasn’t named starter, he presumably could arrange to transfer, or at least evaluate his situation.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini declined to address the matter Monday. But the source said Pelini informed the Witts that it was highly unlikely (read: forget it, guys) that he would release Patrick from his scholarship if Patrick made such a request at the end of spring drills. Pelini apparently loathed the idea of Witt going through spring practice while considering a transfer. So, Pelini forced Witt’s hand before spring drills began.

Bully for Bo. There’s obviously no way Pelini could allow a quarterback to dictate terms of such a competition. Plus, if a quarterback shies from competition in practice, you wonder how he’ll react in the fourth quarter of a close Big 12 contest, in the din of an emotionally charged stadium, with defenders attacking from all angles.

I asked Gene Witt on Monday if he felt his son received a fair shot at Nebraska. Gene thought for a few moments, then declined to comment.

I had considered Patrick the front-runner to win the Nebraska job because of his experience running the system. I also like the kid’s size, demeanor and intelligence. But you have to wonder about the fact he transferred three times in high school ...

As for the Nebraska situation, “I’d love to be able to tell you the whole story, but I’d rather not, and it would probably take an hour anyway,” Gene Witt said.

In the end, the parties decided to part ways — clearly the best resolution to an unhealthy relationship.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

i am really pulling for Green to start

I am curious. Why?

A true freshman, albeit likely a very good one, is not typically one a team would desire to have at QB, starting --- especially when you have two guys, also talented, who are more seasoned (at least with respect to practice and knowing the NU system).

Lee was very highly regarded and proven at the JC level and comes in close to, if not equally heralded as did Green. Cody Spano was the #9 rated dual threat QB when he signed on --- which is where Cody Green ranked too (# 9). So, he too was about as heralded. We have, as Husker fans, a real excitement over Green --- as we should --- he came aboard at a time where expectations were bolstered buy a solid NU season and expectancy is high.

But, from a national perspective, as others would look in --- we have THREE highly regarded QB's, all, roughly speaking, equally touted (or, at least ballpark with regard to one another). So, I say it is really unlikely that Green will seriously compete for starting time... much less start this year. Both Lee and Spano won "Scout Team Player of the Year." Lee is an established passer (at the JC level). This will be his third Spring. This will be Spano's third as well (I think he came in early). I can't imagine that Green could compete this early against such competition.

I'd expect Lee to start, or maybe Spano --- but these tow being the two deep with Green a redshirt.

link to article at LJS

looks like he was shying from the competition imo. you can't have players (and their parents) dictating when you will do what you do.

indeed. the other shoe drops...

Steven M. Sipple: Witt-NU relationship needed to end

Patrick Witt seemed in prime position at Nebraska.

He was the most experienced of the four quarterbacks who would compete for the starting job beginning next month in spring drills. It was conceivable Witt could become a three-year starter. On the surface, Witt’s situation was full of promise.

Below the surface, there were significant issues in the Witt-Nebraska relationship — issues that made the split essentially a no-brainer.

Gene Witt, the player’s father, confirmed Sunday his son is leaving Lincoln in May after finishing the semester. According to sources close to the situation, the sophomore-to-be firmly believed he wouldn’t receive a fair shake in the quarterback competition. Witt feared the coaching staff strongly favored junior-to-be Zac Lee.

There was another issue, one that ultimately spelled doom for the relationship.

According to a source close to the Nebraska program, Witt and his father sought assurance from Husker coaches that the coaches would name the starting quarterback at the end of spring practice. That way, if Witt wasn’t named starter, he presumably could arrange to transfer, or at least evaluate his situation.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini declined to address the matter Monday. But the source said Pelini informed the Witts that it was highly unlikely (read: forget it, guys) that he would release Patrick from his scholarship if Patrick made such a request at the end of spring drills. Pelini apparently loathed the idea of Witt going through spring practice while considering a transfer. So, Pelini forced Witt’s hand before spring drills began.

Bully for Bo. There’s obviously no way Pelini could allow a quarterback to dictate terms of such a competition. Plus, if a quarterback shies from competition in practice, you wonder how he’ll react in the fourth quarter of a close Big 12 contest, in the din of an emotionally charged stadium, with defenders attacking from all angles.

I asked Gene Witt on Monday if he felt his son received a fair shot at Nebraska. Gene thought for a few moments, then declined to comment.

I had considered Patrick the front-runner to win the Nebraska job because of his experience running the system. I also like the kid’s size, demeanor and intelligence. But you have to wonder about the fact he transferred three times in high school ...

As for the Nebraska situation, “I’d love to be able to tell you the whole story, but I’d rather not, and it would probably take an hour anyway,” Gene Witt said.

In the end, the parties decided to part ways — clearly the best resolution to an unhealthy relationship.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

If this is true --- and who knows, perhaps it is... but if it is true, then Bo did, without question, the right thing.

yea, it seems to me that the Witts tried to play Bo and the coaches into a corner to force him to make a decision on the QB, but Bo dont play that crap. :)

Its sad that it came down to this, but clearly leaving is the right choice for Witt. Ive learned that you really cant trust anyone but yourself and you need to look out for yourself all the time. Clearly Witt is looking out for himself, he wants to find a place that isnt so competitve and a team that wants him to start without competing very much for the job. D1AA would be a great place for that kid who is in that mindset to not compete for the QB but just rather have it given to him.

I think the main reason people want to see Green start this year, cuz they feel he might be the next McCoy or something. Ive never heard of Nebraska starting a true freshman. Anyone have an instance please let me know. The way i remember the QB starting positions since i started watching NU play, was Frazier, Frost, Newcombe, Crouch, Lord......i dont remember after that until Zac Taylor and so forth, and everyone one of those guys was not a true freshman who came into the season as a starter.

Lee and Spano are the two top picks, Green needs a year to learn the offense that is setup for NU right now. My gut tells me that after Witt is transfering, Lee is going to be the pick with Spano backing up as #2. I will rout for Green in '10 to take the #2 spot from Spano and backup Lee for his senior year, and then watch Spano and Green battle it out for the starting position in '11.

Good Luck Witt where ever you go.

Anyone know what seniors are going in the draft this year?

link to article at LJS

Bo did the absolute right thing. You should never, as a coach, allow one individual player to dictate how you want to run a certain aspect of your program (in this case, the starting quarterback position). I don't care how good they are, because the team is always bigger than one guy.

I guess we should be thanking Billy C for this mess. Unless the kid had a dad that moved for work or some family issues, why would you ever recruit a kid who changed high schools THREE times? He obviously has commitment issues and was going to leave at the first sign of adversity.

link to article at LJS

Bo did the absolute right thing. You should never, as a coach, allow one individual player to dictate how you want to run a certain aspect of your program (in this case, the starting quarterback position). I don't care how good they are, because the team is always bigger than one guy.

I guess we should be thanking Billy C for this mess. Unless the kid had a dad that moved for work or some family issues, why would you ever recruit a kid who changed high schools THREE times? He obviously has commitment issues and was going to leave at the first sign of adversity.

Good point. It is sort of like the guy who "commits" in marriage to some gal --- for the fourth marriage --- lady wake up, he dumped the last three... what makes you think it will be differnt with you?

Redsteel,

You are absolutely correct. I had no use for him then nor do I now. Great player for Eric, not so much for Nebraska. I think you can actually trace the downfall of Nebraska to his little deal. It is where we started letting the players run the program.

I honestly think we would have been better off if he had left in the long run. No Hypsmand granted, but overall my guess we would have had a better TEAM.

I have stated it many times on this board.