Patrick Witt

There is a log jam and if he's the least mobile then why sit if you can go somewhere else and play that will suit your ability.

Common sense tells me if Witt thought he had a good shot at starting next year there is no way he would leave.Maybe if after the spring game and he was behind then I can see it but now?I think either Wats have let him know which direction the offense is going and he doesnt feel he fits it IMO.I just dont see the returning frontrunner (SUPPOSEDLY)leaving before ever competing for the number 1 job.I have to trust we are moving away from the less mobile type guys and more and more toward the zone read guy with abilities to beat you both ways.I still think when Wats leaves in a couple years you will see a Florida type offense.

QB Witt leaving Nebraska

Quarterback Patrick Witt is leaving the Nebraska football program, according to his father.

"We have no comment and Patrick has no comment. He's leaving," Gene Witt said Sunday night.

Gene Witt said his son, a sophomore-to-be, would finish out this semester in classes, leaving Lincoln in May.

"Everything was official (Saturday). It's a done deal," Gene said. "He'll be leaving at the end of this semester. He's got a 4.0 GPA and he's focusing on his grades now."

Witt's departure leaves junior-to-be Zac Lee, redshirt freshman Kody Spano and true freshman Cody Green as frontrunners to replace the departed Joe Ganz as starter.

Green enrolled at Nebraska in January and is already participating with the team in winter conditioning.

Witt, a native of Wylie, Texas, appeared in five games this past season and completed 6 of 8 passes for 48 yards while rushing four times for 20 yards and a touchdown.

Throughout the fall, Husker head coach Bo Pelini said Witt and Lee were back and forth in their battle for the No. 2 spot.

Witt did seem to have a slight edge at season's end and was called upon in the Gator Bowl to replace Ganz for one play in the fourth quarter.

As for Witt's next step, "he's got a bright future and we'll evaluate that as we go," his father said. "We appreciate the opportunity at Nebraska, and we just have no comment about what took place."

Link: LJS

Pelini comments on Witt

Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini has just put out a statement regarding Patrick Witt, the sophomore quarterback who has asked for a release from the program.

"Patrick has decided that it is in his best interest to continue his college career at another school," Pelini said. "Patrick is a great kid from a great family and I appreciate the contributions he has made to our football program. I wish him nothing but the best in the future and know he will be a success wherever he goes."

Link: LJS Blog

I'm curious if it has anything to do with them still going after highly recruited Qb's when we had 3 deep already. He was, as far as I know, the front-runner going into this year, but what does it speak when they are going for another "franchise" player when you would only be a sophmore? Just a thought.

Common sense is telling me that you leave a program at this stage of the game for one of two reasons:

1. You're not expecting to be the starter...and you can't handle it.
  2. You're expecting to be the starter...and you can't handle it.

A sophomore with a "bright future" is not going to lose a year of eligibility to avoid being the starter at Nebraska.

As for Witt's next step, "he's got a bright future and we'll evaluate that as we go," his father said. "We appreciate the opportunity at Nebraska, and we just have no comment about what took place."

We'll never know what that means but it sure is interesting.

Indeed. To me, it means one of two things:

1. He was told that he wasn't the front runner or that all of the quarterbacks will start spring ball even and the best would start; or,

2. It was made clear that the offense was going to focus on areas (read: things that favor a more mobile quarterback) that were not his strength.

Still, it's a loss to the program, and one we didn't need. Logjam at the position or not, he was good enough to come in for Ganz when it was needed, and he has at least some experience.

Common sense is telling me that you leave a program at this stage of the game for one of two reasons:

1. You're not expecting to be the starter...and you can't handle it.
  2. You're expecting to be the starter...and you can't handle it.

A sophomore with a "bright future" is not going to lose a year of eligibility to avoid being the starter at Nebraska.

Good point.

Best of luck to him in the future. ;)