Patrick Witt

QUOTE(Fuzzy @ Feb 25 2009, 02:14 AM)

QUOTE(Husker_x @ Feb 24 2009, 04:22 PM)

In the end, though, many reports indicate Witt wasn't the best QB at the position anyway, so this whole thing is probably moot. We may have only just let a career backup walk out the door. Hard to say for sure, but as far as character goes, we might have just saved ourselves some real heartache down the road.

I agree with you, Witt is out the door, lets now look to the future which is Lee or Green. Major rep points to Bo for showing Witt, the team and fans how tough of a coach he is.

If what was said about Crouch bullying Solich into begging him to come back, i had no idea that was case, but thats pretty sad. However it does make sense though. When he got drafted by the Rams as a CB, he was pissed and threaten to leave if they didnt make him QB, but he got injured and was let go by the team.

well i don't know if anyone knows the EXACT details of the thing, but if i remember right Newcombe was named starter at first, crouch went emo but solich talked to him and got him to come back. Newcombe still started at first but i think they got crouch significant PT and he started partly because of an injury to Newcombe. I think they traded starting jobs a couple times but Crouch eventually won it. IDK that he was begged back or promised anything. I think all we know is that he decided to come back after solich talked to him. Could have been that he just convinced him to stick it out, could have been that Solich caved in some way, who knows.

The main difference in these situations is the amount of playing time that the, for lack of a better term, "whiner" had in each respective situation. When Crouch got mad and left, he had already started numerous games for the Huskers (1998 season) and made appearances in many others. Witt has never and will never start a game for the Huskers and saw very limited playing time in general. While neither situation is ideal, Crouch seemed to have more of an argument, being that he had contributed and had shown himself to be a capable starter.

Here is a link for a complete list of North Carolina schools that Witt can choose from. North Carolina is the state where many Nebraska quarterbacks have transferred to in recent years: Dukes, Dailey, and Beck. I guess we could call that state the Nebraska quarterback transfer graveyard. :blink:

Here is a link for a complete list of North Carolina schools that Witt can choose from. North Carolina is the state where many Nebraska quarterbacks have transferred to in recent years: Dukes, Dailey, and Beck. I guess we could call that state the Nebraska quarterback transfer graveyard. :blink:

Oh he's totally going to Duke. Right? It's either that or Isothermal CC.

In the end, though, many reports indicate Witt wasn't the best QB at the position anyway, so this whole thing is probably moot. We may have only just let a career backup walk out the door. Hard to say for sure, but as far as character goes, we might have just saved ourselves some real heartache down the road.

I agree with you, Witt is out the door, lets now look to the future which is Lee or Green. Major rep points to Bo for showing Witt, the team and fans how tough of a coach he is.

If what was said about Crouch bullying Solich into begging him to come back, i had no idea that was case, but thats pretty sad. However it does make sense though. When he got drafted by the Rams as a CB, he was pissed and threaten to leave if they didnt make him QB, but he got injured and was let go by the team.

well i don't know if anyone knows the EXACT details of the thing, but if i remember right Newcombe was named starter at first, crouch went emo but solich talked to him and got him to come back. Newcombe still started at first but i think they got crouch significant PT and he started partly because of an injury to Newcombe. I think they traded starting jobs a couple times but Crouch eventually won it. IDK that he was begged back or promised anything. I think all we know is that he decided to come back after solich talked to him. Could have been that he just convinced him to stick it out, could have been that Solich caved in some way, who knows.

The main difference in these situations is the amount of playing time that the, for lack of a better term, "whiner" had in each respective situation. When Crouch got mad and left, he had already started numerous games for the Huskers (1998 season) and made appearances in many others. Witt has never and will never start a game for the Huskers and saw very limited playing time in general. While neither situation is ideal, Crouch seemed to have more of an argument, being that he had contributed and had shown himself to be a capable starter.

WRONG crouch had not started any games yet - Newcombe was named the starter in fall camp and crouch left before the season started & solich said they would put him on the field, Newcombe actually got hurt the 1st game of the season. Crouch didn't take over until a few games into the season. crouch was a f**king bitch & he should be ashamed of himself for quiting all those times. BTW quiting runs in his blood my dad went to school with crouch's real dad and he was a quitter in HS also.

The coaching staff is certainly looking at QB's who are more mobile. I have it on good authority that A. J. Derby a highly touted high school junior was in Lincoln for junior weekend and he has been said to be very Tebow like although he is 6' 5" and about 215. Wit may have seen the writing on the wall with Jr to be Lee, Soph to be Spano and Fr Green coming in this semester it may have appeared to him that he would not fit well with those already here and those who are being heavily recruited.

T_O_B

Saying that he saw the writing on the wall doesn't make sense to me. Many people had him as the favorite for the starting job next year, so what about that writing on the wall? As one of the favorites you would think for sure that he would want to compete in Spring Ball and then see where he was. Then there would be some real writing on the wall for him to make a decision from.

Maybe the "many people" who saw him as the favorite weren't the people who make the decisions. If he had the stones to compete for the position instead of wanting to be the ordained QB we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Good luck Pat Witt, hope you find what you are looking for. If you don't want to be a Husker then you are not meant to be on our side of the field on Saturdays.

T_O_B

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ Feb 25 2009, 02:31 PM)

WRONG crouch had not started any games yet - Newcombe was named the starter in fall camp and crouch left before the season started & solich said they would put him on the field, Newcombe actually got hurt the 1st game of the season. Crouch didn't take over until a few games into the season. crouch was a f**king bitch & he should be ashamed of himself for quiting all those times. BTW quiting runs in his blood my dad went to school with crouch's real dad and he was a quitter in HS also.

A couple of items for you southsunshinewhateverhusker. 1. Crouch did in fact start numerous games for the Huskers in 1998, as I said. He did not go home for a few days until 1998. I think you have your seasons confused. This little tidbit (although from Wikipedia) will show that YOU are in fact "WRONG".

"Ankle surgery forced Crouch to redshirt for the 1997 national championship-winning season[1]. In 1998, Bobby Newcombe began the season as the starting quarterback, but he was sidelined by a knee injury after the first game and Crouch took over the starting duties. Against UAB, Crouch rushed for two touchdowns and completed 11 of 17 passes in his first career start. 1998 proved to be a chaotic season for the Cornhuskers. Crouch made another start before being replaced by a healthy Bobby Newcombe. Newcombe started the next five games but was pulled in the middle of a game because of a PCL strain. Senior walkon Monte Christo took over for him and started the following week against Texas. With Texas leading 10-0 in the middle of the second quarter, Christo was pulled and replaced by Crouch. Crouch remained the starter for the rest of the season, which ended with a 23-20 loss to Arizona in the Holiday Bowl.

The next fall, Newcombe was named the starting quarterback and it was rumored that Crouch might leave the team. Crouch was given significant playing time in the first and second games. He started the third game against Southern Mississippi, and Newcombe moved to wingback. Crouch led Nebraska in a season that saw NU avenge its only loss of the season in a rematch against Texas in the Big 12 Championship Game. The Cornhuskers finished the season with a 12-1 record and ranked No. 3 after defeating Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl."

2. You need to get rid of that terrible profile picture. It is quite disgusting.

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ Feb 25 2009, 02:31 PM)

A couple of items for you southsunshinewhateverhusker. 1. Crouch did in fact start numerous games for the Huskers in 1998, as I said. He did not go home for a few days until 1998. I think you have your seasons confused. This little tidbit (although from Wikipedia) will show that YOU are in fact "WRONG".

"Ankle surgery forced Crouch to redshirt for the 1997 national championship-winning season[1]. In 1998, Bobby Newcombe began the season as the starting quarterback, but he was sidelined by a knee injury after the first game and Crouch took over the starting duties. Against UAB, Crouch rushed for two touchdowns and completed 11 of 17 passes in his first career start. 1998 proved to be a chaotic season for the Cornhuskers. Crouch made another start before being replaced by a healthy Bobby Newcombe. Newcombe started the next five games but was pulled in the middle of a game because of a PCL strain. Senior walkon Monte Christo took over for him and started the following week against Texas. With Texas leading 10-0 in the middle of the second quarter, Christo was pulled and replaced by Crouch. Crouch remained the starter for the rest of the season, which ended with a 23-20 loss to Arizona in the Holiday Bowl.

The next fall, Newcombe was named the starting quarterback and it was rumored that Crouch might leave the team. Crouch was given significant playing time in the first and second games. He started the third game against Southern Mississippi, and Newcombe moved to wingback. Crouch led Nebraska in a season that saw NU avenge its only loss of the season in a rematch against Texas in the Big 12 Championship Game. The Cornhuskers finished the season with a 12-1 record and ranked No. 3 after defeating Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl."

2. You need to get rid of that terrible profile picture. It is quite disgusting.

you must like boys if you think it's disgusting.

T.O. Bull

Exactly. We used to recruit kids that lived to be Huskers. Developed a greater lover for it while here and showed others what it meant to be a Husker. That seems to have left with Coach Osborne's retirement. Frank just thought it would continue and never worked the problem. Callahan thought that by promising a learning experience for the NFL he could get the players.

But Bo seems to understand it, I think. If you can not get the most talented kids in the country you have to get the kids with the most heart, desire and loyalty to be our players. Knowing that they will 110% every minute they are on the field and the practice field. Bo demands that it seems.

If we are ever to be a power again it will be by that mentality I think. I do not see us competing with the SC's, Florida schools or Texas for shear talent. We will get the scraps, but as has been stated it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the Dog. We have a tough Pitt Bull running the program now.