Why does everyone want Green to start?

carlfense

Should Green start or redshirt? Redshirt or start? Sorry...wrong question.

This isn't the question Bo or any of us need to be asking. If Green is the starting QB in week 1, then that is AWESOME. It means he showed the coaches something extremely special in preseason practice. SkerNation should be bouncing through the walls if this is the case. It means we have a stud on our hands (something we haven't had in a long while). SO DUH...WE SHOULD ALL HOPE HE STARTS. And if the QB race is close, youth should win.

If he redshirts...that is great too. For obvious reasons.

The question is...do we play him if he not the clear #1 but is #1B or #2? Do we let him battle w/Lee by rotating in regular season games? Or let's say Lee is #1 but sprains an ankle or gets concussed... do we use Green then? Does Green have a Tebow like package each game? Does he play in mop up duty (I really hope that isn't the case).

Chances are Lee will take the first game snap under center and (optimistically) Green has claimed the #2 spot on the depth chart and is distancing himself from the rest. Maybe he takes over midseason or maybe he plays a Tebow type roll and has a limited package to utilyze him. But there goes the redshirt...so we better be smart about it.

The only scenarios I'd object to is 1) mop up duty as the #2 (that would really suck) or 2) putting him in if Lee has a minor injury (1-2 games). Both would be a waste of a season.

So Starting, Redshirting, Tebowing would be my preferences (in that order).

Why I want Cody Green to start.

By: newearthhusker

I want Cody Green to start so I can see what all the fuss is about. I want Cody Green to start because some have said he can walk on water and I want to see if he can. I want Cody Green to start to see how long it takes the out spoken talking heads to call for Zac Lee to play. I want Cody Green to start because he wore #7 in High School just like John Elway. I want Cody Green to start so the guy that bought a #17 jersey for Dan Hadenfeldt, Garth Glissman or Todd Peterson can claim it is now a Cody Green jersey. I want Cody Green to start so he can re-write the record books by playing all 4 years. I want Cody Green to start so when the PA guy says “Green for the Big Red” I will be reminded of Christmas. But most of all I want Cody Green to start just because.

The End

*Disclaimer: Not all the views expressed in this post are shared with or directly related to anything newearthhusker believes, stand for, or has stated in the past.

immortalized here: 2/27. segment 11.

I am going to leave it at this.. I have seen Green play.. He is amazing... I want to see him on the field asap but if he doesnt its ok...

BUT I WANT TO SEE NEXT YEAR ALL OF YOU GUYS THAT ARE SAYING REDSHIRT,REDSHIRT.. THE FIRST TIME LEE OR SPANNO HAVE A BAD GAME AND IT WILL HAPPEN SAYING THAT WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF GREEN WAS OUT THERE OR START CALLING TO PUT HIM IN....

BUT I WANT TO SEE NEXT YEAR ALL OF YOU GUYS THAT ARE SAYING REDSHIRT,REDSHIRT.. THE FIRST TIME LEE OR SPANNO HAVE A BAD GAME AND IT WILL HAPPEN SAYING THAT WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF GREEN WAS OUT THERE OR START CALLING TO PUT HIM IN....

Ummm . . . no I wouldn't. I tend to make fun of the "get that loser off the field" people who jump on a player after a bad play/game.

I am going to leave it at this.. I have seen Green play.. He is amazing... I want to see him on the field asap but if he doesnt its ok...

well you can quote me as saying that no matter who has a bad game i DO NOT want green to see the field next season. if lee starts and gets hurt then spano goes in. if spano starts and gets hurt then lee goes in.

green redshirts.

well you can quote me as saying that no matter who has a bad game i DO NOT want green to see the field next season. if lee starts and gets hurt then spano goes in. if spano starts and gets hurt then lee goes in.

green redshirts.

I want Green to see the field, just from the sideline :)

Geez guys.

"One true freshmen did well as a starting quarterback, therefore all quarterbacks are able to do well as true freshmen."

'logic.'

Landlord hit the nail on the head. Green has some stars, and we are mostly all, admit it or not, star-gazers. Therefore, without knowing anything else about his situation or ability, we think he is going to start.

Never mind that we have a MORE highly rated quarterback with two years in the system already.

Green is just not ready and really needs that redshirt year, however good he may have looked in Texas high school circuits.

my .02

I want him to start because

A. I hope he is good enough

B. I'm sick of not having a QB for more than 2 years, I want a 4 year starter, thus I hope he is good enough to start this year.

Ultimately I want the Best QB to play regardless of what year he is, I just want Green to be the guy and hopefully it isn't because Lee isn't good.... Or spano.....

This pretty well sums up my feelings. I want the best QB on the field at all times, but I'd prefer that guy to be someone who's going to be around for more than a year. One and done is getting kind of old.

Geez guys.

"One true freshmen did well as a starting quarterback, therefore all quarterbacks are able to do well as true freshmen."

'logic.'

Landlord hit the nail on the head. Green has some stars, and we are mostly all, admit it or not, star-gazers. Therefore, without knowing anything else about his situation or ability, we think he is going to start.

Never mind that we have a MORE highly rated quarterback with two years in the system already.

Green is just not ready and really needs that redshirt year, however good he may have looked in Texas high school circuits.

exactly. i just dont understand some of these peoples expectations for a 4 star qb that they have not seen play any college ball even tho hundreds of 4 star qbs have flaked out. and on top of that we have a higher rated qb in zac lee!!!!!!!!!!

my .02

I want him to start because

A. I hope he is good enough

B. I'm sick of not having a QB for more than 2 years, I want a 4 year starter, thus I hope he is good enough to start this year.

Ultimately I want the Best QB to play regardless of what year he is, I just want Green to be the guy and hopefully it isn't because Lee isn't good.... Or spano.....

This pretty well sums up my feelings. I want the best QB on the field at all times, but I'd prefer that guy to be someone who's going to be around for more than a year. One and done is getting kind of old.

neither lee nor spano would be one year starters.....

in fact Lee would be a 2 year starter and spano would be a 4 year starter....

green redshirts.

Completely agreed. I don't want Green out there next year. A year of redshirting him will only make him better.

All this hype is BS IMO. He may look good in high school but that doesn't mean sh#t at the college level. Let him play first, then tout him as a god.

As for those that what to see Lee start because he's been in the system for 2 years I guess we'll see how good he is as the guy that was backing him up at San Fran JC (Masoli) took Oregon to a 10-3 record walking straight on to campus in his first semester last year.

To be quite honest with you I care more about the guys replacing Murtha and Slauson. I will always be more concerned about the O-line.

I still have my qualms about the reality of this offense at NU. If it's true that it takes multiple years to grasp this offense then that is a problem. You see it all over CFB true freshman coming in and starting/making immediate impacts and i won't even get into the fact that NU can't recruit star wrs.

I like Watson and think he's a good coach, but that Oregon guy, their system, can take any kind of QB, pro style or dual threat and it doesn't miss a beat.