Since we're stuck with it,

It's always been stated that certain teams rather beat their rival and have a poor season then to have a great season and lose to them. IE Michigan vs Ohio State, Auburn vs Alabama. Some coaches have even been fired for not beating their rivals.

I think most Nebraska fans could take a loss from CU as long as they were in the top 10 at the end of the year. Just remember Solich was fired just after defeating this so called rival. <_<

I loved watching Oklahoma and Nebraska play at the end of the year for all the marbles but it was more for who the top dog was then an actual rivalry.

I don't get any more upset having Nebraska lose to Cu then I do Iowa State. Meaninig every loss is just as painful :angry:

CU vs. Nebraska is a rivalry (just not a very significent one, at least to us), just like Oklahoma vs OSU is a rivalry, or Michigan vs MSU, or Georgia vs GT, or CU vs CSU, or Teas vs TAMU, or KSU vs Nebraska, or KSU vs Kansas, or Florida vs FSU,

KSU and Nebraska are rivals?! :rollin

OU, that will always be the one and only rival to Neb. I grew up with it. Now some of the new Husker fans probably need a new one, so Col is probably as good as any other team, if they need a rival to get fired up about. In fact after all the crap I have heard, they do to our fans at their place, and the way they act up in the stands, I do like beating them more than anyone else, other than Okl, with Tex a close 2nd.

Ahh the old rivalry with Okl, the good against the bad. I'll let you figure, which was which. :lol:

GBR!!!

As much as I hate to... I have to agree with ya, TOB.

Sooner or later, we're going to have to accept it. Oklahoma isn't coming back.

I have to agree with this...

Ask a Sooners fan who their rival is, and i would imagine that they would say that RIGHT NOW they view us very similarly to how we view Colorado. Not that big of a deal, they are to worried abou Texas and the other South teams.

I agree with the arguments on both sides of why CU is or isn't a rival, but we have to face the fact that Oklahoma is not really a rivalry right now either. We better accept it that we don't have the kind of rivalry game right now that some other schools do. Maybe we should hope for one with CU and MU, of course that means all three of us have to be on the national stage year in and year out.

How about we not worry so much about a "rival", and plan on beating EVERY team like they owe us money. I really don't care about having a "true" rival. The entire big 12 is our f'n rival. When we win it's good, when they win it's bad, pretty simple if you ask me.

But if you forced me to pick a rival, I'll go with Mizz, for two reasons.

1. There fans are everybit as hateful and filled with jealous rage as CU fans, but after the seasons over, they still give a damn about their team. CU has the BIGGEST fair weather fans in the country, and that alone keeps them from being anywhere near our level as a football power.

2. The Mizz/Neb bell. Hello! Has everyone forgot that they actually play for a trophy every year. And have since the 1930's! Maybe if more fans where aware of this we could build a little more hype for the game. A bell stolen from a church is also a pretty cool trophy too. Much cooler than a gay wine jug or "Paul Bunyon's" axe if you ask me.

I think it's a rivalry, personally. The fan bases pretty much hate each other. The games have frequently been hard to predict (since I've been alive, I'm 24). It's the final game of the year, which isn't that important to me, and the games frequently (though not lately) have a stake in the taking the North for both teams.

Therefore, I agree, I think they are a rival, along with Mizzou and OU. Teams are allowed to have more than one rival....especially when teams have been playing each other for so long.

They may or may not be our biggest or longest standing rival, but a rival nonetheless.

Sorry for the consecutive posts, but my source for having more than one rival is unchallengable....EA Sports NCAA Football 2007 and on. Our rivalry games included all the teams I mentioned, and every team has multiple rivals if they are halfway decent (Sorry ISU).

:rollin

While I do agree that they are very SMALL rivals, and not true rivals in the real sense, you should never use what a football game says as a source. I'm pretty sure 09 has Kansas State listed as a rival, which we never really were we just have a little bad blood as of late.

Sorry for the consecutive posts, but my source for having more than one rival is unchallengable....EA Sports NCAA Football 2007 and on. Our rivalry games included all the teams I mentioned, and every team has multiple rivals if they are halfway decent (Sorry ISU).

:rollin

While I do agree that they are very SMALL rivals, and not true rivals in the real sense, you should never use what a football game says as a source. I'm pretty sure 09 has Kansas State listed as a rival, which we never really were we just have a little bad blood as of late.

But, "If it's in THE game, it's in the GAME!" Right? :sarcasm

I view rivals as teams that I hate and will always hate no matter what the situation is. In this last year's National Championship game you better believe I rooted for OU over Florida (obviously being a UGA fan has a little something to do with this) as I have in their previous NC games. On the other hand, I hate everything about Colorado and everything they represent and would be happy if they lost every game. Although I recognize the history with OU, I have to consider the hate factor when determining rivals and Colorado has it for me.

How about we not worry so much about a "rival", and plan on beating EVERY team like they owe us money. I really don't care about having a "true" rival. The entire big 12 is our f'n rival. When we win it's good, when they win it's bad, pretty simple if you ask me.

But if you forced me to pick a rival, I'll go with Mizz, for two reasons.

1. There fans are everybit as hateful and filled with jealous rage as CU fans, but after the seasons over, they still give a damn about their team. CU has the BIGGEST fair weather fans in the country, and that alone keeps them from being anywhere near our level as a football power.

2. The Mizz/Neb bell. Hello! Has everyone forgot that they actually play for a trophy every year. And have since the 1930's! Maybe if more fans where aware of this we could build a little more hype for the game. A bell stolen from a church is also a pretty cool trophy too. Much cooler than a gay wine jug or "Paul Bunyon's" axe if you ask me.

:yeah

Does anyone think that Texas and OU fans debate on whether or not the schools are rivals? What if the Internet was around during the Big8? Would we be discussing whether or not OU was our rival?

I'm thinking, "no". At this time NU doesn't have a rival, at least a rivalry nowhere near the depths of which we had with OU.

Living in Phoenix, I see the "contest and respect" :sarcasm that Arizona State and U of A have for each other in what both admit is their biggest rivalry. I'm sure that their rivalry isn't even the nastiest one around.

I believe that Nebraska - Colorado is a rivalry. Granted it doesn't have the rich history, honor, and tradition that the Nebraska - Oklahoma rivalry once had, but the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry is gone. It left when the Big XII ruined the once priceless match up.

But let's face it, the Colorado-Nebraska game is a toss up every year going into the game, regardless of records. Call it what you want, but if it's not a rivalry, it's one heck of a great game! (When the CU fans aren't trashing the field that is!)

NO. PERIOD.

You really need to come up with a better argument. Period.

T_O_B

MrT_anim.gif

i have stated my argument many times before. Frankly a rivalry is built on contest and respect, not hatred. CU is no more a rival than MU is. in fact if i had to choose i would say that MU is more of a rival.

The Colorado game is a game I certainly look forward to, but no, I don't consider it a rivalry. It's a great day for a game, the day after Thanksgiving, lots of beer, leftover turkey, beer, leftover beer but I don't consider it a rivalry. A rival is someone who is supposed to be your equal, and also someone you respect - not necessarily like - but at least respect. We had this with OU, I don't see it with the Fluffs.

Just because you don't like a team, or more specifically, the behavior of SOME of their fans doesn't make them a rival. We saw it before the bowl game last year on this board; Clemson obviously can't stand USuC, but I doubt they consider them their rival.

The Colorado game is a game I certainly look forward to, but no, I don't consider it a rivalry. It's a great day for a game, the day after Thanksgiving, lots of beer, leftover turkey, beer, leftover beer but I don't consider it a rivalry. A rival is someone who is supposed to be your equal, and also someone you respect - not necessarily like - but at least respect. We had this with OU, I don't see it with the Fluffs.

Just because you don't like a team, or more specifically, the behavior of SOME of their fans doesn't make them a rival. We saw it before the bowl game last year on this board; Clemson obviously can't stand USuC, but I doubt they consider them their rival.

Of course USC is Clemson's biggest rival. They go crazier in Columbia when Clemson loses than when the c&#036;%ks actually do something right (rarely).