Matthew May

glm09

I find it interesting that so many people want more speed on defense, but the fastest LB on the team is a walk-on (May) so some of these same people don't think he'll be a starter or significant contributor. I think there's a reason those schollie LB's stayed redshirted - May and Holt are good players. I think May will end up in the 2 deep this fall at WLB with a definite chance to be the starter.

I dont really have an opinion if he starts. But when annoucers say and NU has 2 walk-ons starting today, it makes NU seems untalented. And for the people who dont want to start it is because if football you just dont run, you have to do other things such as tackling ;) . So even if they want speed May may not be the best guy, because obviously if he was good enough Bo would have gave him a scholarship.

:wacko:

So, when Nebraska was kicking butt on a regular basis with upper classmen walk-ons as starters and helping stack the 2 and 3 deep, we seemed weak?????

And, the answer is to make sure our walk-ons are so sorry that they'll never challenge a scholarship athlete for playing time. That way the announcers won't have to announce a walk-on's name and make us sound weak?

Having excellent walk-ons isn't a sign of weakness, its a sign of strength. If a walk-on cracks the 2 deep, he typically was awarded a scholarship. 1) if he has a scholarship 2) if he is playing ahead of another scholarship player 3) then he is not a underskilled piece of meat

:yeah

I find it interesting that so many people want more speed on defense, but the fastest LB on the team is a walk-on (May) so some of these same people don't think he'll be a starter or significant contributor. I think there's a reason those schollie LB's stayed redshirted - May and Holt are good players. I think May will end up in the 2 deep this fall at WLB with a definite chance to be the starter.

Having speed is only one part of the deal.Tierre Green and Andrew Shanle were probably our fastest two DBs a couple years ago as well.What kind of football players are they?You need fast FOOTBALL PLAYERS to be successful.Nothing against May because he he looked pretty good in the limited time that I saw him but Ill be very suprised if he takes snaps from Whaley or Lawrence.Holt and May are good gap fillers who did good in the pinch but Id hate to face a schedule next year with either starting.

Having speed is only one part of the deal.Tierre Green and Andrew Shanle were probably our fastest two DBs a couple years ago as well.What kind of football players are they?You need fast FOOTBALL PLAYERS to be successful.Nothing against May because he he looked pretty good in the limited time that I saw him but Ill be very suprised if he takes snaps from Whaley or Lawrence.Holt and May are good gap fillers who did good in the pinch but Id hate to face a schedule next year with either starting.

Again, that kind of sounds like you are saying if they are walk-ons, they should not play ahead of scholarship players. Because we have not even seen Whaley play yet, and from what I have seen of Lawrence, these two are just as good. I think we need to take in account how good Bo is at developing players, and forget about who is a walk-on, and who is on scholarship.

Again, that kind of sounds like you are saying if they are walk-ons, they should not play ahead of scholarship players. Because we have not even seen Whaley play yet, and from what I have seen of Lawrence, these two are just as good. I think we need to take in account how good Bo is at developing players, and forget about who is a walk-on, and who is on scholarship.

You make a good point about Whaley but word around camp is that Whaley is our best LB.YES BEST LB as a Rfr.Im not doubting may one bit but when Lawrence and May were both healthy Lawrence got the reps and May watched.We all know as you stated that Bo isnt scared to play walk ons so why would Lawrence play instead of May?Just maybe he is BETTER?Listen Im not tryingto bash these kids because the walk ons are needed and have their place in the program.But for guys thinking these guys will be starting for us for the most part will be disappointed.I never questioned his speed but as I said if all you had to do to be a great LB was being fast recruiting wouldnt be so hard.Just get the fastest guys you can find and line em up.

Now again I think May was pretty good with what little he played but I will tell you now he didnt play in front of Lawrence last year,he wont play in front of him next year.IMHO from all Ive heard and I beleive it Whaley will play ahead of both of them next year and be a starter.In fact when Glenn was suspended it was stated that Whaley had become our best LB by some in the know.Mays PT last year was because of injuries and Redshirting of guys like Fisher,Compton,and Whaley.Now if these guys stay healthy Im almost sure they will ALL be on the 2 deep.Throw in Dillard and Lawrence and their is 5 of 6.That leaves one spot and a goup of about 4-5 fighting for it PROVIDING incoming recruits Williams and Martin Rs(Martin wants to play though so we shall see).Anyways that leaves Stafford,May,Holt,L.Washington(if he doesnt move to RE),Williams,and Martin.Of all those guys it looks like 1 might make the 2 deep.Im guessing Holt but its still up in the air.I still think STs is where these guys will call home and make their mark o the program.

Dont want to discourage guys because we all like to hear the walk on to NFL feel good stories.They do happen sometimes but in most cases these guys are walk ons for a reason.

Who needs walk-ons, anyway? WE DO.

Not too shabby of a list here:

http://sites.google.com/site/nebraskafootb...istory/walk-ons

I can understand how a guy from a small town Nebraska could go unnoticed and become a high impact player as a walk-on, but I'm really amazed how guys like Jared Tomich and Stewart Bradley were unoffered in their own states.

How the heck does Purdue or Indiana not offer Tomich back in the early 90's? Neither of those teams could play defense back then? It would be one thing if Tomich was a late bloomer, but he was a stud from the moment he got on campus.

Stew Bradley astounds me as well. How the heck did Utah or even lowly Utah State fail to offer him?

You make a good point about Whaley but word around camp is that Whaley is our best LB.YES BEST LB as a Rfr.Im not doubting may one bit but when Lawrence and May were both healthy Lawrence got the reps and May watched.We all know as you stated that Bo isnt scared to play walk ons so why would Lawrence play instead of May?Just maybe he is BETTER?Listen Im not tryingto bash these kids because the walk ons are needed and have their place in the program.But for guys thinking these guys will be starting for us for the most part will be disappointed.I never questioned his speed but as I said if all you had to do to be a great LB was being fast recruiting wouldnt be so hard.Just get the fastest guys you can find and line em up.

Now again I think May was pretty good with what little he played but I will tell you now he didnt play in front of Lawrence last year,he wont play in front of him next year.IMHO from all Ive heard and I beleive it Whaley will play ahead of both of them next year and be a starter.In fact when Glenn was suspended it was stated that Whaley had become our best LB by some in the know.Mays PT last year was because of injuries and Redshirting of guys like Fisher,Compton,and Whaley.Now if these guys stay healthy Im almost sure they will ALL be on the 2 deep.Throw in Dillard and Lawrence and their is 5 of 6.That leaves one spot and a goup of about 4-5 fighting for it PROVIDING incoming recruits Williams and Martin Rs(Martin wants to play though so we shall see).Anyways that leaves Stafford,May,Holt,L.Washington(if he doesnt move to RE),Williams,and Martin.Of all those guys it looks like 1 might make the 2 deep.Im guessing Holt but its still up in the air.I still think STs is where these guys will call home and make their mark o the program.

Dont want to discourage guys because we all like to hear the walk on to NFL feel good stories.They do happen sometimes but in most cases these guys are walk ons for a reason.

What all of that does show is that Bo has some serious depth at the position. May and others who filled in played pretty well and if the hype about Whaley is to be believed, then the overall talent level is going to jump next year. That is only a good thing, who starts is irrelevant at that point. The best player out of a crop of really good ones is a stud, and if injuries do happen then you have really good players filling in.

I wouldn't discount Matt Holt as a starter yet. He proved what he could do when Glenn was suspended or kicked off or kidnapped or whatever happened to him. Holt started, called the D signals and was named a Big 12 D player of the week. Have to wait and see how he comes off his surgery I guess.

Well, I don't know much about him, but from what I've read he sounds like a stud. He needs to see the field more so we can get a look at him, but if he doesn't get it done in practice then I guess we'll never know. Not saying that he's not, just making a general statement. I'm all about more speed and absolutely no regard for your own personal safety. :clap

May reminds me a lot of Scott Connot from Spencer. Connot went on to star at South Dakota State as a safety. After college, he was invited to a tryout with the Chiefs. He measured in at 6'2 217 and ran a 4.43. He spent 3 seasons on their practice squad as a Safety and was a differnce maker in NFL Europe.

Guys like Connot are the type of athletes Nebraska needs to sign as walk-ons. You can win a lot of games with future NFL practice squad players as either depth or upperclassmen starters.

Don't get me wrong, you need guys who will become NFL draft picks to win championships, but walk-ons who can sniff the NFL are imperative to Nebraska.

You must be from near Spencer or you would of had no idea who Scott Connot was. I know his brother well.

May reminds me a lot of Scott Connot from Spencer. Connot went on to star at South Dakota State as a safety. After college, he was invited to a tryout with the Chiefs. He measured in at 6'2 217 and ran a 4.43. He spent 3 seasons on their practice squad as a Safety and was a differnce maker in NFL Europe.

Guys like Connot are the type of athletes Nebraska needs to sign as walk-ons. You can win a lot of games with future NFL practice squad players as either depth or upperclassmen starters.

Don't get me wrong, you need guys who will become NFL draft picks to win championships, but walk-ons who can sniff the NFL are imperative to Nebraska.

You must be from near Spencer or you would of had no idea who Scott Connot was. I know his brother well.

This just in from left field....my parents backyard shared a fence with Damon Benning's backyard and he had a good Orange Bowl one time........