Steven M. Sipple: Lee in a no-huddle? It makes sense

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 - 12:12:59 am CDT

Zac Lee traveled home for spring break this past week, back to San Francisco. He hung out with his father, Bob Lee, a former NFL quarterback (1967-81). He talked football with Dan Hayes, who was Zac’s offensive coordinator in 2006 at City College of San Francisco.

I mean, these guys really talk football. As in, hide the grease boards.

“Zac’s ferocious about it,” Hayes said. “He just loves to talk about the game.”

Lee, the favorite to become Nebraska’s starting quarterback in 2009, played the game well in his only season at CC of San Francisco, leading the Rams to the California junior college title game. Hayes asks a lot of his quarterbacks, physically and mentally. For instance, the Rams’ spread system features a no-huddle attack about 40 percent of the time.

“We get on the ball at the line, and the quarterback will call the play depending on what he sees, based on all the time we’ve spent watching film,” Hayes said. “And that’s one of Zac’s strengths. He just loves to X and O with you. He loves to play ‘What if?’”

I like playing that game, too. Nebraska ran some no-huddle against Kansas last season, if memory serves. What if the Huskers ran a lot more of it in 2009? And I don’t mean a two-minute drill. What if they ran no-huddle, say, 30 to 40 percent of the time, or more?

I’ve heard nothing definite that such a plan is in the works, only speculation. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska at least gives it a try during spring practice, which begins Wednesday.

It really makes sense. And it wouldn’t exactly be breaking new ground in the Big 12.

Lee might just thrive in it, as was the case in junior college. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound junior has been at Nebraska since January of 2007, presumably giving him a much stronger grasp of the offense than NU’s other primary candidates for the starting job, incoming freshman Cody Green and redshirt freshman Kody Spano. Running a no-huddle offense obviously would require a self-assured QB.

“Zac’s all excited,” Hayes said.

Lee’s task this spring is daunting. Joe Ganz gave Nebraska’s offense an identity last season, a sense of toughness, a can-do spirit. Ganz’s coach-like grasp of the system and chemistry with seniors Nate Swift (63 catches) and Todd Peterson (62) helped produce a No. 2 national ranking in time of possession.

What will Nebraska’s offensive identity be in 2009? Maybe it’ll be a revved-up running game. Or maybe a no-huddle.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini obviously has great admiration for Bob Stoops. The Oklahoma coach made the move to a no-huddle system last season and watched the Sooners’ production reach 548 yards per game, a 100-yard increase from 2007.

A no-huddle attack allows an offense to control tempo and often hinders a defense’s ability to make personnel adjustments between plays.

In Nebraska’s case, an up-tempo, no-huddle system might be an effective way to increase the number of practice repetitions for the inexperienced quarterbacks. The plays would stay the same, the pace would just quicken.

At any rate, it’ll be intriguing to study how the Husker offense evolves.

“I think you’re going to see something pretty similar to what we did with me last year,” Ganz said. “I think we’re going to see a lot more of the spread/West Coast-type of thing. We still run West Coast principles, but we’re in the (shot)gun a lot more. Zac feels more comfortable in the gun, and I like to be in the gun, too.

“Zac’s a very good athlete. He’s really an explosive runner. Sometimes he thinks he’s a little Barry Sanders-esque. But we’ll give him a pass on that.”

Ganz praised Lee’s work ethic.

“He’s been watching a lot of film lately,” Ganz said. “He’s been up there (in the video room) after workouts and stuff, and guys take notice of that. They see that and it kind of rubs off on everybody else to pick their game up.”

Said Hayes, the junior college coach: “Sincerely, Zac would make a heck of a coach someday.”

People always say that about Ganz, too. Can Lee spark the offense the way Joe did? Can he provide that exceptionally high level of leadership? We’re about to find out.

I could see this happening...think it might be fun. :clap The only thing is since this concept isn't new in the Big 12, it might not be that big of an advantage. Other teams that use it would have an advantage since they see that kind of pace in practice all the time. Definite advantage against teams that don't use it - which would cover about all the North for the most part, with maybe the exception of Missouri.

I think the most important thing for the offense isn't to be quick-to-the-line-quick-to-the-goal with the playcalling, but to be able to run the ball and run it consistently. Now if you can do that with the zone read out of the gun, fantastic. If you don't need to huddle up to do it, fantastic. But with the receiving corps being what it is, the QB being new regardless of who gets the job, being able to depend on the run game is essential. That's my biggest offensive question for the coming season. When you need the 3-1 or 3-2, do we get nervous, or sit back and smile as the backs plow for the yards like it was easy?

I am sure Bo and co. are looking into this. I think that it is good to use every once in while...especially if the QB has a great grasp of the offense to be able to make the calls at the line. However, OU and others have three crazy coaches jumping around calling out different plays so maybe the Huskers could go that route as well. I agree with huskertim that the talent at OU or Florida is different from NU....Watson and Bo can make it work though.

I agree we have enough talent to run no huddle reasonably well, I just don't think we can afford to get into shoot outs with Ttech,Ou, et al.

I do think no huddle is especially effective as an immediate audible device which allows a QB to take advantage of personnel mismatches and defensive miscues.

I also believe that as Big 12 teams evolve to face pass happy offenses, we may be able to take advantage of faster (translation smaller linebackers) by being more physical and utilizeing reverses and trap plays ala 1990's.

although i think our bread and butter will still be with the ball control offense, it wouldn't hurt to have a little no huddle mixed in. itd definitely help win the north, plus when ou comes to town we'd at least be better off than if we don't do it at all, just by letting our D practice against it all year.

Zac Lee traveled home for spring break this past week, back to San Francisco. He hung out with his father, Bob Lee, a former NFL quarterback (1967-81). He talked football with Dan Hayes, who was Zac’s offensive coordinator in 2006 at City College of San Francisco.

Lee, the favorite to become Nebraska’s starting quarterback in 2009, played the game well in his only season at CC of San Francisco, leading the Rams to the California junior college title game. Hayes asks a lot of his quarterbacks, physically and mentally. For instance, the Rams’ spread system features a no-huddle attack about 40 percent of the time.

“We get on the ball at the line, and the quarterback will call the play depending on what he sees, based on all the time we’ve spent watching film,” Hayes said. “And that’s one of Zac’s strengths. He just loves to X and O with you. He loves to play ‘What if?’”

I like playing that game, too. Nebraska ran some no-huddle against Kansas last season, if memory serves. What if the Huskers ran a lot more of it in 2009? And I don’t mean a two-minute drill. What if they ran no-huddle, say, 30 to 40 percent of the time, or more?

I’ve heard nothing definite that such a plan is in the works, only speculation. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska at least gives it a try during spring practice, which begins Wednesday.

It really makes sense. And it wouldn’t exactly be breaking new ground in the Big 12.

Lee might just thrive in it, as was the case in junior college. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound junior has been at Nebraska since January of 2007, presumably giving him a much stronger grasp of the offense than NU’s other primary candidates for the starting job, incoming freshman Cody Green and redshirt freshman Kody Spano. Running a no-huddle offense obviously would require a self-assured QB.

Lee’s task this spring is daunting. Joe Ganz gave Nebraska’s offense an identity last season, a sense of toughness, a can-do spirit. Ganz’s coach-like grasp of the system and chemistry with seniors Nate Swift (63 catches) and Todd Peterson (62) helped produce a No. 2 national ranking in time of possession.

What will Nebraska’s offensive identity be in 2009? Maybe it’ll be a revved-up running game. Or maybe a no-huddle.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini obviously has great admiration for Bob Stoops. The Oklahoma coach made the move to a no-huddle system last season and watched the Sooners’ production reach 548 yards per game, a 100-yard increase from 2007.

A no-huddle attack allows an offense to control tempo and often hinders a defense’s ability to make personnel adjustments between plays.

In Nebraska’s case, an up-tempo, no-huddle system might be an effective way to increase the number of practice repetitions for the inexperienced quarterbacks. The plays would stay the same, the pace would just quicken.

“I think you’re going to see something pretty similar to what we did with me last year,” Ganz said. “I think we’re going to see a lot more of the spread/West Coast-type of thing. We still run West Coast principles, but we’re in the (shot)gun a lot more. Zac feels more comfortable in the gun, and I like to be in the gun, too.

“Zac’s a very good athlete. He’s really an explosive runner. Sometimes he thinks he’s a little Barry Sanders-esque. But we’ll give him a pass on that.”

“He’s been watching a lot of film lately,” Ganz said. “He’s been up there (in the video room) after workouts and stuff, and guys take notice of that. They see that and it kind of rubs off on everybody else to pick their game up.”

Said Hayes, the junior college coach: “Sincerely, Zac would make a heck of a coach someday.”

People always say that about Ganz, too. Can Lee spark the offense the way Joe did? Can he provide that exceptionally high level of leadership? We’re about to find out.

I could see this happening...think it might be fun. :clap The only thing is since this concept isn't new in the Big 12, it might not be that big of an advantage. Other teams that use it would have an advantage since they see that kind of pace in practice all the time. Definite advantage against teams that don't use it - which would cover about all the North for the most part, with maybe the exception of Missouri.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather see an old school/grind it out/ball control offense than these flash-in-the-pan no-huddle contraptions.

(apparently this needs an edit to let people know that I am kidding. So . . . I'm joking. Sorry for the confusion.)

well the thing is the no huddle means many different things now. It doesn't have to be fast. personally, i dont like this whole line up, everyone turns and watches the coach sign in plays after being relayed a play from the box that is reading the defense sh#t that I have been seeing, it just seems unfair and irregular. when the whole team turns like that, i dont know how people don't jump offsides, and i don't know how its allowable esp. when the linemen do it (their feet don't move and they aren't in three point so technically its ok). just seems like alot of movement presnap and should be borderline illegal motion or something. Basically allows your coach to audible, total video game style.

Until NU has a defense that is top ten in the nation, BAD IDEA - CONTROL THE CLOCK + ou has way better players to run that.

:yeah Although it would be nice to be able to run it whenever needed. Try to surprise the defense a little.

I agree we need to be able to do it when needed, but i think this years offense was great.. Control the ball for 35-40 minutes a game. Keep the other offenses off the field and your defense off the field. But when needed, def. need the ability to strike quick.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather see an old school/grind it out/ball control offense than these flash-in-the-pan no-huddle contraptions.

Anyone that thinks we are going to line up and just run over people is out of touch with the reality of what the NCAA and the parity that it is, is all about. Those days are gone.