Steven M. Sipple: Lee in a no-huddle? It makes sense

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather see an old school/grind it out/ball control offense than these flash-in-the-pan no-huddle contraptions.

Heaven forbid that this lash-in-the-pan forward pass thing takes hold

-Joe Football Fan, 1906

Mr. huKSer, meet tongue in cheek humor.

Mr carlfense, meet tongue in cheek response.

We both need to acquaint ourselves with this: :sarcasm

PS What is your tongue doing in my cheek? Ewwwww :blink:

Control the clock and tempo IMO. No need for it except maybe in the hurry up.

Well the no-huddle needn't necessarily imply a hurry up. And one of the benefits is the pressure it puts on the defense as they are unable to switch players which might multiply the time of possession advantage. Imagine Helu ripping off a 12 yard run, the O-line helping him up, then everyone standing in their positions getting the play signaled in with the D trying to catch its breath not knowing if the next play will come in 5 seconds or 25 seconds. Anyway, we'll see what happens. This was pure Sipple speculation at this point.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather see an old school/grind it out/ball control offense than these flash-in-the-pan no-huddle contraptions.

Heaven forbid that this lash-in-the-pan forward pass thing takes hold

-Joe Football Fan, 1906

Mr. huKSer, meet tongue in cheek humor.

Mr carlfense, meet tongue in cheek response.

We both need to acquaint ourselves with this: :sarcasm

PS What is your tongue doing in my cheek? Ewwwww :blink:

Eh. Jokes aren't nearly enjoyable when prefaced with "this is a joke."

in a no huddle offense you do not have to move fast to snap the ball, you are just quick to the line. once at the line you can take as long as you like to actually snap the ball. a no huddle offense would essentially no allow the defense to substitute players as much as they would like.

you do not have to snap the ball as soon as you touch it......

Well the no-huddle needn't necessarily imply a hurry up. And one of the benefits is the pressure it puts on the defense as they are unable to switch players which might multiply the time of possession advantage. Imagine Helu ripping off a 12 yard run, the O-line helping him up, then everyone standing in their positions getting the play signaled in with the D trying to catch its breath not knowing if the next play will come in 5 seconds or 25 seconds. Anyway, we'll see what happens. This was pure Sipple speculation at this point.

beat me to it, very well said!

beat me to it, very well said!

Spano ran a hurry up no huddle in HS at S-ville.

whatever nebraska runs, i'm pretty sure it will be successful.

i like what watson does with the offense: he doesn't take square pegs and tries to hammer them into round holes. if lee is better in a no-huddle, he'll work it out with bo and see how the defense can accommodate more play time.

the point is, nebraska will adjusts *now*. if it doesn't work, they'll scrap it in a heartbeat and roll with something different.

as much of a genius as callahan was for the game, he seems to struggle in that regard.

I watched this no huddle thing all year last year at Iowa State and am convinced is the most amazing cluster-f*ck ever seen on a football field. You get the team all lined up in 2 seconds but then spend the next 10 seconds watching as the QB peers over at the sideline to see what kind of play the coaching staff has dreamed up, then 5 seconds as he shouts out the play to everyone on the field, then stands another 10 seconds while the players switch sets to the appropriate play and then spends another 5 seconds looking to see if he needs to audible the original play or not...all of which ends up with the QB running around like an idiot looking for an open receiver because he ended up with only 3 seconds to get a play off. You almost have to wonder why they even bother calling a play to begin with since basically it ends up with the QB scrambling all over looking for ANYONE who might be open...

With a no-huddle offense you end up with:

3 guys on the sideline giving crazy hand signals and looking like morons (but at least it gives them something to do besides hold a clipboard)...

5 guys that can't hear the play once the QB yells it out since it's so damn loud in whatever stadium you're playing in...

2 or 3 exhausted RBs who end up having to run 17 yards to gain 10 since these sets start so far behind the line of scrimmage...

4 or 5 Delay Of Game penalties because of various foul-ups between the arm flailing morons on the sideline, the nearsighted QB who can't see the arm-flailing morons on the sideline or doesn't know which arm-flailing moron is the right one to be watching, and the O-line who can't hear what play is being called even though they all were also standing up and watching the arm-flailing moron but were never told which moron was the correct moron

The no-huddle thing is a disaster. If you don't believe that, watch ISU this season as that is what their genius OC is going to be putting on the field. I mean...if it worked at Rice, it's got to work in the Big 12, right?

I watched this no huddle thing all year last year at Iowa State and am convinced is the most amazing cluster-f*ck ever seen on a football field. You get the team all lined up in 2 seconds but then spend the next 10 seconds watching as the QB peers over at the sideline to see what kind of play the coaching staff has dreamed up, then 5 seconds as he shouts out the play to everyone on the field, then stands another 10 seconds while the players switch sets to the appropriate play and then spends another 5 seconds looking to see if he needs to audible the original play or not...all of which ends up with the QB running around like an idiot looking for an open receiver because he ended up with only 3 seconds to get a play off. You almost have to wonder why they even bother calling a play to begin with since basically it ends up with the QB scrambling all over looking for ANYONE who might be open...

3 guys on the sideline giving crazy hand signals and looking like morons (but at least it gives them something to do besides hold a clipboard)...

5 guys that can't hear the play once the QB yells it out since it's so damn loud in whatever stadium you're playing in...

2 or 3 exhausted RBs who end up having to run 17 yards to gain 10 since these sets start so far behind the line of scrimmage...

4 or 5 Delay Of Game penalties because of various foul-ups between the arm flailing morons on the sideline, the nearsighted QB who can't see the arm-flailing morons on the sideline or doesn't know which arm-flailing moron is the right one to be watching, and the O-line who can't hear what play is being called even though they all were also standing up and watching the arm-flailing moron but were never told which moron was the correct moron

The no-huddle thing is a disaster. If you don't believe that, watch ISU this season as that is what their genius OC is going to be putting on the field. I mean...if it worked at Rice, it's got to work in the Big 12, right?

<_< sorry cy, but that is at ISU where the athletes are more like mathletes! no huddle is great if you know how to use it, and dont have austin arnaud as your QB! (ha ha) it also has worked in the big 12, as in OU in particular when they put up the most points in history! :box

The no huddle offense was evolved for the 2 minute drill. Obviously in it's original format it would be both exhausting and confusing. However, those programs that use it as a core philosiphy have adapted it, Iowa State has had neither the time or personnel to run the scheme effectively against big 12 competition (which the like of Rice would not be facing).

People often forget how difficult it is to swicth offensive philosiphies overnight. Last years attempts at option play would have looked embarassing by the standards of earlier husker teams, and as I recall the swicth to west coast principles wasn't exactly painless either.

Bottom line we need to adapt to the strenths of our team, both in tersm of personnel and coaching. I for one trust this staff to do just that.

whatever nebraska runs, i'm pretty sure it will be successful.

i like what watson does with the offense: he doesn't take square pegs and tries to hammer them into round holes. if lee is better in a no-huddle, he'll work it out with bo and see how the defense can accommodate more play time.

the point is, nebraska will adjusts *now*. if it doesn't work, they'll scrap it in a heartbeat and roll with something different.

as much of a genius as callahan was for the game, he seems to struggle in that regard.

:yeah

<_< sorry cy, but that is at ISU where the athletes are more like mathletes! no huddle is great if you know how to use it, and dont have austin arnaud as your QB! (ha ha) it also has worked in the big 12, as in OU in particular when they put up the most points in history! :box

Okay...let me rephrase that then...the No-Huddle Offense is a great idea for a team that has a brand new QB, brand new receivers, an offensive line that already commits more penalties and blown assignments than prudent when playing out of a conventional huddle...need I go on?

2009 is NOT the year to be installing a new offense. The success for this Husker team largely will rest on how the defense performs. Keep it simple for the offense for the time being.