new contract for Pelini

New Pelini contract worth $1.851 million annually

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

What was anticipated in recent months is now official. Bo Pelini has a new contract that comes with a significant pay raise after just one season as Nebraska’s head football coach.

The new contract provides a one-year extension, running through the 2013 season, and will pay Pelini a base figure of $1.851 million a year.

Pelini was previously making $1.1 million a year, which ranked 11th among Big 12 coaches. His pay bump now makes him the sixth-highest paid coach in the conference, close in company to the annual salaries of Missouri’s Gary Pinkel and Kansas State’s Bill Snyder.

“When you compare Bo’s performance and experience with other coaches, he was certainly deserving of a significant salary increase,” NU athletic director Tom Osborne said in a statement. “We made good progress in one year under Bo’s leadership and we are confident he has our program moving in the right direction.”

While Pelini’s previous annual salary was perhaps fitting of a first-time coach, it did rank low among coaches in BCS conferences. There are about a dozen coaches from BCS schools making $1.1 million or less.

But Osborne recently told the Journal Star Pelini’s performance in his first season — nine wins and a Gator Bowl trophy — was good enough to look at reworking the coach’s contract.

“I think you have to take a look at what the general market is,” Osborne said then. “You certainly want to be competitive. That’s probably the overriding issue. I thought he did a good job this year and inherited a lot of things that needed worked on and fixed.”

The Husker assistants also received pay increases.

While the specifics of each assistant’s contract were not initially provided, the total annual figure divided among the nine assistants is nearly $2 million (sixth-highest in the Big 12) compared to the $1,815,000 received between them in 2008.

“I am very appreciative of the commitment Coach Osborne and our administration have made to our football program and our coaching staff,” Pelini said in a statement. “Working for Coach Osborne is a great situation, and as I said when I was hired, it is an honor to be here at Nebraska as the head coach. I hope to be in this position for a long time and help get this program back to the top of college football.”

Glad to see Bo is getting paid more. However this doesnt ensure he will stick around for that long or that he wont get fired before then. Not saying he will leave or we should fire him, but with the turnstyle that is coaching it doesnt mean he will be here till 2014. Remember we are always one losing season away from a major paradigm shift in attitude.