2018 World Cup at Memorial??

They have to list all places that are able to host games in order to apply. I doubt a World Cup game will ever be playing in Lincoln as the town itself couldn't handle the games. I was in Germany for the World Cup and the towns were packed, Berlin was over packed. Just imagine Lincoln with well over 2 million people, impossible in my mind.

The games will be held in the larger venues anyways, places like LA and New York where they can handle a large influx of people.

Death i've been to the last US held WC and the Germany WC and both times had some of the best experiences ever. Even if you don't like soccer it's something you have to view in person at least once in your life, especially the Brazilians. I was Palo Alto for the US vs Brazil game and talk about a classy bunch of people. They want to always give you food and drinks and always just enjoy the game, not to mention some of the ladies are just down right gorgeous. I hung out alot with the Brazilian fans during the Germany WC as well and still keep in touch with a bunch of them via email(though their English is rough and my Portuguese is even rougher).

Soccer is more of an acquired taste and takes a lot of skill. It can be fast paced but normally it's thought out and strategic in a way. Nebraska was never really huge on soccer when I was a kid but moved to Nevada and it was a large following. I've played since I was 4 and continued through college, unfortunately after the Marine Corps and my 2 ACL repairs, i've been sidelined and will coach my daughter here in a few years.

All in all, this is one event I recommend to anyone and everyone if you get the chance. You think fans get riled up at football games? Football games have absolutely nothing to compare with soccer games in that aspect. If you can't make a WC game but can make it to England, try to catch a premiership game, they come a close second.

http://omahaworldherald.com/index.php?u_pa...;u_sid=10606845

The world cup is not a goal for UNL according to this article from OWH.

I have to disagree with people think this is a good idea. You want to cram hundreds of thousands of extra people into Lincoln for the world cup? Do you know how chaotic this city would be? It would be like cramming all the fans in memorial stadium into 60 ft. by 80 ft. back yard.

It WOULD be chaotic. That's the fun of it. It might depend on the countries playing, but Lincoln has never seen such craziness. I was at the Brazil/USA game July 4, '94 and it made most Husker games look like a church service. Throwing out all subjectivity, the coolest sports event I've ever been to. If you get a chance, GO!!

Wont happen. It would cost to much to upgrade the stadium with gaurd towers and razor wire surrounding the field. The clean up of a feces throwing contest that is sure to ensue in the stands would be astonomical as well. Let the houligans trash cities that already dont have anything to be proud of like Albercracky, Cleveland and Detroit.

It's completely unrealistic to consider given the size of Lincoln and the amount of people that go to the World Cup. Omaha would be a much more likely candidate if they had a major football stadium. Omaha would be much more apt to handle the hundreds of thousands of people, but still not realistically.

It's completely unrealistic to consider given the size of Lincoln and the amount of people that go to the World Cup. Omaha would be a much more likely candidate if they had a major football stadium. Omaha would be much more apt to handle the hundreds of thousands of people, but still not realistically.

If it were in Lincoln it would just be a hassle. They would have to convert Haymarket into somesort of Detention center to house all the unruly crowds as I'm sure the jail in Lincoln would not be able to handle the massive influx of rioters and looters. Surely the Lincoln police would have to start stocking up now with tear gas to quell the riots the would ensue after a riveting nill - nill tie.