Ndamukong Suh

I purposly left this young man out of my ccomments on the Spring Game as a whole, here's why:

I got into my multi-lingual dictionary and its now official...

Ndamu when translated means...

KING

in other words we officially have as the ROCK of our Black Shirt Defence...

KING_KONG SUH.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

We had the best tickets of our lives to the spring game (50 yard line, 12 rows up), and my wife and I were amazed that Suh spent at least 30 minutes in the 3rd and 4th quarter signing autographs for people. Not only is he a stud on the field, he seems to be a great guy when he's on the sideline too.

Suh is about as likable a guy as you'll ever find. He's one of my favorite players on the team, and probably the most talented too.

That being said, I can't help but think Suh is a bit overrated. He's certainly one of the best defensive tackles in the Big 12, but I don't see him as an All-American, or a front-runner for the Outland or Lombardi. I think the absolute best-of-the-best type DTs are the ones that demand a double team on every single play (unless maybe they're matched against an All-American caliber guard or center). Suh will certainly get a good amount of double teams this year I'm sure, because he's the best of our D-linemen hands down, but I have seen a few too many times where he gets stood up by a single O-lineman and isn't able to get a good push or get off the block. Even in the spring game highlights, I saw several times where a single one of our linemen held him pretty much in place. And with all due respect, we don't have any All-American type O-linemen.

His biggest strength might be his freakish quickness for a 300-pounder, and he will get off the line so quickly that lineman have trouble getting a good block on him, but when they do, he's not as disruptive as the best of the best, in my opinion.

I hope my assessment's off, and he's the all-world player that most people believe he is, but for now I'll refrain from putting him on the level of Rich Glover or Jason Peter.

I don't know that people are quite putting him on that level yet...

Well, one of the radio guys (Sharpe or Fiala) said he expected him to be a serious contender for the Outland. A DT only wins the Outland about once every five years, so that is some insanely high praise. I've also heard fans say they expect him to be a top 10 NFL draft pick, which even Jason Peter and Rich Glover were not.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they are all right and Suh turns out to be one of our best defensive linemen ever.