Best Article of the Offseason (Huskers Will Be Really, Really Good on Defense)

In large part, Jerry Moore is responsible for that resurgence – the same force he sees re-emerging at one of college football’s foremost powers.

Nebraska will be back, he said, maybe even in a big way . . . and probably sooner than most people are thinking.

“With Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini, Nebraska has leadership, and they have confidence,” Moore said. “You can see it in the film. You can even feel it in the air.”

I sure hope so. If you think back to where the program was after Callahan was booted and compare it to where it is now, it's like night and day. The changes are everywhere. How soon this translates into a win/loss record is something nobody can know, but it sure as hell seems like the ship has been righted and given a solid direction.

If you think back to where the program was after Callahan was booted and compare it to where it is now, it's like night and day.

One thing I have noticed is how the players have adapted the attitude of their coach.

It's quite evident. The fiery, competitive, never-say-die attitude of Bo has really rubbed off on the players. In the Baylor game, they were losing at halftime and came back to win the game. In the Gator Bowl, they were down by 11 (I think it was 3 to 14 going into halftime), and they came back to win. I never remember during the Callahan era thinking, "You know, we're down by x points, but I think the Huskers will be able to come back." Bo has made a HUGE difference. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. He wasn't my first choice in coach, but I figured he would be able to do the job. And he definitely has so far.

The defense is starting to get their swagger back (see "2008 Gator Bowl"). The offense really found an identity for themselves this past year. The coaching staff works together and have confidence in what they are doing.

I see good things in the future...very good things!

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...;ATCLID=3726829

Outstanding! Is it September yet?!

Coach Moore seems like a great guy. The fact that he evaluates the Husker D as good is exceedingly significant --- this guy is not a hack sports writer who never played a down of football in his life --- no, he knows his stuff and if he thinks, upon looking at film, that NU will be really good, well... that is awesome. This is really the best report I have heard all spring --- an unbiased expert evaluation that is really positive. Can't beat that --- this gives me confidence that the D will be precisely what Coach Moore says... really good.

An aside.... it is indeed neat to see how respected coaches like Coach Moore hold Dr. Tom is such high esteem. Dr. Tom is still the pride of NU football and NU athletics. What a privilege we as NU alumni have in having Dr. Tom as an ambassador for NU.

Thanks Coach Osborne.

Coach Moore seems like a great guy. The fact that he evaluates the Husker D as good is exceedingly significant --- this guy is not a hack sports writer who never played a down of football in his life --- no, he knows his stuff and if he thinks, upon looking at film, that NU will be really good, well... that is awesome. This is really the best report I have heard all spring --- an unbiased expert evaluation that is really positive. Can't beat that --- this gives me confidence that the D will be precisely what Coach Moore says... really good.

I agree. While I enjoy reading what Sip has to say, you can't deny that he seems very biased sometimes. Good to have a third party opinion come out so positive.

I hope he's right because I want our defense to make teams afraid again. Here's to them being great next season................ :cheers

Amen!!! I was watching the 2008 USC/Penn St. Rose Bowl last night and Herbstreit, for once, actually said something I could completely agree with and it would totally fit the description of Nebraska's defense this year. What he said was, "you can have a defense of fast players and they'll be good, but if you have a defense of fast players who really know and understand the defensive schemes, then you're looking at a really, really great defense."

I'm positive that will be the Blackshirts this year. We will have plenty of speed on the field and also plenty of experience. Yes, some of the redshirts (who will likely start) might not have the game experience but they'll have the benefit of working within the system last year and it will reflect in their performance. They will be flying to the ball and man, I can't wait!!

I hope he's right because I want our defense to make teams afraid again. Here's to them being great next season................ :cheers

Amen!!! I was watching the 2008 USC/Penn St. Rose Bowl last night and Herbstreit, for once, actually said something I could completely agree with and it would totally fit the description of Nebraska's defense this year. What he said was, "you can have a defense of fast players and they'll be good, but if you have a defense of fast players who really know and understand the defensive schemes, then you're looking at a really, really great defense."

I'm positive that will be the Blackshirts this year. We will have plenty of speed on the field and also plenty of experience. Yes, some of the redshirts (who will likely start) might not have the game experience but they'll have the benefit of working within the system last year and it will reflect in their performance. They will be flying to the ball and man, I can't wait!!

:yeah

This article really was a great read.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...;ATCLID=3726829

Outstanding! Is it September yet?!

An aside.... it is indeed neat to see how respected coaches like Coach Moore hold Dr. Tom is such high esteem. Dr. Tom is still the pride of NU football and NU athletics. What a privilege we as NU alumni have in having Dr. Tom as an ambassador for NU.

Thanks Coach Osborne.

:hellloooo:hellloooo:hellloooo

If you all will remember last season there was at least one article where opposing coaches, and even some coaches whose team's didn't play the Huskers, were asked by local sports writers to contrast the '07 Huskers with the '08 version. The writer kept the identities of the coaches doing the evaluating secret.

Every single coach who participated noticed a general overall improvement on both sides of the ball and at all position groups. The two areas which really caught their attention were the interior offensive and defensive lines. These coaches noted drastic improvement in their basic fundamental techniques.

Heck even Mike Leach said after the Texas Tech game that he knew, after looking at the Huskers on film the previous week, that they were really lucky to win.

That my friends says it all, great things are in store for the Huskers in '09 and the best part of all of this is that they are only going to keep getting better.

really, this should come as no surprise.....we traded in Cos for Pelini, he11 we couldn't help but improve....now, how much better did we get and how soon do we become really good on D? well, that depends and as soon as we start playing we will know the answer..the VT game will tell us a lot, as it is very early in the schedule, but no matter how much the D has improved, we will still have to "light it up" on the offense, no small task given the new guys coming in...but yes, the D play should continue to improve......

I take with it a grain of salt. We are talking about a close friend of the program. A close personal friend of Coach Osborne. I highly doubt he would ever say anything negative about Nebraska.

But he did make positive comments. It us up to the team to live up to those assessments. I think we will be better this year no question. But I do not see us as being a BCS contender nor CCG winner yet. Some may be thinking that way it sounds.

My guess is 10 wins this year, a loss in the CCG to either Texas or Oklahoma, a regular season loss to Oklahoma, skin of our teeth win/close loss to Texas Tech and Kansas. VaTech will be a loss, due to being on the road, a very hostile home field advantage and the inexperienced players.

But I agree with marked improvement. The speed factor will make a major difference this year and Suh staying healthy. Without him we have serious defensive problems I think.