Which Big 12 Team produces the most draft picks?

Which Big 12 team produces the most top NFL draft picks?

April 24, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

One question I've been receiving with regularity the last couple of weeks is which Big 12 team has become the most proficient at producing NFL draft picks?

As such, I decided to research that question. The outstanding Web site drafthistory.com gave me all of the information I needed.

Here's a list of all Big 12 teams and their total draft picks since the 1997 draft, which coincides with the start of the conference's football history. . .

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-8-295/W...aft-picks-.html

Holla!!!!! :clap:clap:box:box:clap:clap

Here's the breakdown for you lazy bastards that don't want to click the link.

Big 12 NFL draft picks since 1997

Team 1st Rd. 2nd Rd. 3rd Rd. 4th Rd. 5th Rd. 6th Rd. 7th Rd. Total

Nebraska 5 12 7 9 7 7 12 59

Oklahoma 8 10 8 2 7 8 3 46

Texas 14 5 8 6 4 3 5 45

Texas A&M 2 7 9 5 5 9 4 41

Colorado 4 6 3 2 7 7 11 40

Kansas St. 2 7 6 2 5 7 10 39

Texas Tech 0 2 0 4 4 3 6 19

Okla. St 3 4 2 2 1 2 2 16*

Missouri 1 0 1 4 4 2 3 15

Kansas 1 0 1 5 2 3 1 13

Iowa State 0 0 4 2 3 1 3 13

Baylor 0 1 0 1 2 1 4 9

*Oklahoma State's totals include a second-round supplemental pick in 1998.

I also extrapolated my own formula to figure out which school was the most productive, giving seven points for a first-round draft pick, six points for a second-round draft pick, five points for a third-round draft pick, four points for a fourth-round draft picks, three points for a fifth-round draft pick, two points for a sixth-round draft pick and one point for a seventh-round pick.

Here's how the team's ranked, for the Big 12's history from 1997 through the 2008 draft.

Nebraska: 225

Texas: 215

Oklahoma: 204

Texas A&M: 158

Kansas State: 133

Colorado: 133

Oklahoma State: 72

Texas Tech: 52

Missouri: 47

Kansas: 45

Iowa State: 42

Baylor: 22

wow I ran that through my head before clicking it and I was figuring

1. Texas

2. Oklahoma

3. Nebraska

Pretty much all of our picks over that time have been OL and Defensive Players though which makes us kind of go unnoticed. I'm trying to think if any offenisive players have been drafted other than Lineman. Brandon Jackson is all I can think of...? Does Ahman fall into this time period? Maybe Dan Alexander and Buckhalter.

How can this be? I keep reading about how Frank couldn't recruit. Something is not adding up.

I've long held the belief that Frank could recruit talent...he simply didn't do enough of it.

A typical class under Solich was about 18 players. That's on average about 4-5 scholarships a year that could've went to other recruits but instead went to walk-ons.

Please note: I'm not disparaging the walk-ons here.

That's why Nebraska, under Frank Solich, had no depth. The Huskers 1st team could, by and large, compete and play with anyone. But if a starter went down with an injury the drop-off to the #2 guy was quite significant.

Oh and he was extremely predictable as an offensive coordinator/play caller...but I digress.

How can this be? I keep reading about how Frank couldn't recruit. Something is not adding up.

I've long held the belief that Frank could recruit talent...he simply didn't do enough of it.

A typical class under Solich was about 18 players. That's on average about 4-5 scholarships a year that could've went to other recruits but instead went to walk-ons.

That's why Nebraska, under Frank Solich, had no depth. The Huskers 1st team could, by and large, compete and play with anyone. But if a starter went down with an injury the drop-off to the #2 guy was quite significant.

Oh and he was extremely predictable as an offensive coordinator/play caller...but I digress.

He ran WAY to much option and he COULD not recruit! He NEVER brought in any top I-backs any where near the level of a Phillips or Green. That offense was based around a great I-back and he never got any. He also switched it to a QB centered attack and did not recruit any great QBs! Newcombe and Crouch are TO recruits, Crouch redshirted! His offense also fumbled the ball FAR TO MUCH, because of all the option plays he ran! He turned NU into a service academy and that is why in 2003, KSU, UT and MU ALL had better dual threat/option QBs that NU, BIG TIME!

He ran WAY to much option and he COULD not recruit! He NEVER brought in any top I-backs any where near the level of a Phillips or Green. That offense was based around a great I-back and he never got any. He also switched it to a QB centered attack and did not recruit any great QBs! Newcombe and Crouch are TO recruits, Crouch redshirted! His offense also fumbled the ball FAR TO MUCH, because of all the option plays he ran! He turned NU into a service academy and that is why in 2003, KSU, UT and MU ALL had better dual threat/option QBs that NU, BIG TIME!

I have to agree, I loved Frank but the QB centric nature of his offense required an Eric Crouch to be successful, and they just don't grow on trees. I do think that he was leaning towards a more balanced offense with Joe Daily at the helm and I would like to have seen him get the opportunity to run it. Let,s not forget he managed to win 10 games in 03 with Jammal Lord as his QB, and as much as that guy could run, man was he a poor passer.