Cody Glenn

There is a great thread going about what he did or didn't do.....the speculation, the husker on husker warfare, the smashing of dreams and loss of respect for our great leaders...........

Does anyone find it interesting that a guy who really couldn't get on the field consistently for 3 years, a guy that switched to LB for his senior year, was the guy the NFL thought was the most talented of our senior class?

Now I agree that Lucky would've gone higher if he'd have come out after his junior year but I still find it kind of intriguing that Cody was our first draftee.

Just because he was drafted first does not mean he was the most talented...it is based on need and system.

True. Getting drafted is becoming more and more overrated every year now. While I understand that NFL teams need specific needs for their system, I get confused at what they do sometimes with the draft. Take the Broncos for example. They draft Moreno with their first rounder after they bring in Buckhalter, L. Jordan, J.J. Arrington in the offseason? Not to mention having Selvin Young and the all hyped Ryan Torain on their roster already. Don't forget about the bruising Peyton Hillis that took over the RB position for awhile last season till injury. They had 6 more than capable RB's on the team before the draft and so they go out and get a RB in the first round. I just don't get what some of the NFL teams are doing these days. Heck, I'm not sure why RB's would even want to go to Denver the way they are recycled there.

It is interesting. It looked like he was getting the short end of the backfield situation. He took a move and reaped the reward, forgetting about the other stuff. Maybe this will be a good thing for other Huskers to try a position switch rather than bolt to another school if they aren't getting time on the field.

I forget, what led to the switch to LB? Did he ask, or did a coach suggest it, or what? My vague memory is that Pelini kind of reluctantly let him try it.

True. Getting drafted is becoming more and more overrated every year now. While I understand that NFL teams need specific needs for their system, I get confused at what they do sometimes with the draft. Take the Broncos for example. They draft Moreno with their first rounder after they bring in Buckhalter, L. Jordan, J.J. Arrington in the offseason? Not to mention having Selvin Young and the all hyped Ryan Torain on their roster already. Don't forget about the bruising Peyton Hillis that took over the RB position for awhile last season till injury. They had 6 more than capable RB's on the team before the draft and so they go out and get a RB in the first round. I just don't get what some of the NFL teams are doing these days. Heck, I'm not sure why RB's would even want to go to Denver the way they are recycled there.

Obviously you've never seen Knowshon "crank that"...

Maybe the Redskins see the potential that Cody has just by showing he has a nose for the football and has a can do attitude to do whatever is asked of him.

That being said maybe his past will prevent him from getting the opportunity to show what he can do on the field for the fact that something in his past may come back to bite him. :dunno

Yea i have to agree, it is a need based system.

But if i remember right, Cody wasnt slotted to get drafted at all.

Lucky was slotted to go in the 5-6th round. Swift was 7th.

Slauson was another that wasnt picked to go, mostly due to his behavior and attitude. from what ive heard.

Just because he was drafted first does not mean he was the most talented...it is based on need and system.

Yea i have to agree, it is a need based system.

But if i remember right, Cody wasnt slotted to get drafted at all.

Lucky was slotted to go in the 5-6th round. Swift was 7th.

Slauson was another that wasnt picked to go, mostly due to his behavior and attitude. from what ive heard.

Ya, I thought Swift might have been a late round pick as well..

I don't know where you came up with that, because they absolutely draft on talent. Most the time, they just don't grade it right.

I tend to agree with Mike Leach on this one when he states the NFL has a terrible record when it comes to grading talent. Same goes for Rivals, Scout and any other talent grading agency, "get rich quick" schemes at their finest.

Leach disappointed for Harrell, Crabtree

Think of how many top draft picks have been absolute busts. Then compare the number of superstars who have come from free agency or late round picks. The latter list far outweighs the number of superstars coming from those selected in the early rounds. If teams were picking for needs or based on a particular offensive/defensive system this wouldn't be the case. They just have a problem drooling at over-hyped talent, that's all.

This was said with no offense aimed at Cody Glenn, because I think he is talented and will do well at LB in the NFL.

I don't know where you came up with that, because they absolutely draft on talent. Most the time, they just don't grade it right.

I tend to agree with Mike Leach on this one when he states the NFL has a terrible record when it comes to grading talent. Same goes for Rivals, Scout and any other talent grading agency, "get rich quick" schemes at their finest.

Think of how many top draft picks have been absolute busts. Then compare the number of superstars who have come from free agency or late round picks. The latter list far outweighs the number of superstars coming from those selected in the early rounds. If teams were picking for needs or based on a particular offensive/defensive system this wouldn't be the case. They just have a problem drooling at over-hyped talent, that's all.

This was said with no offense aimed at Cody Glenn, because I think he is talented and will do well at LB in the NFL.

As far as Harrell is concerned, I understand what the pro scouts were thinking.

1) He is unfamiliar with under center snaps. If you want to be a good quarterback in the NFL, you need to be experienced in taking snaps from under center. Harrell took the large majority of his snaps from the shotgun, therefore there isn't a whole lot for the scouts to look at.

2) The spread offense passing game differs greatly from the pro passing game as far as routes/reads go.

3) Arm strength with spread quarterbacks is always questionable, considering they don't take a lot of shots downfield.

Now, it is probably questionable to some as why Freeman was taken when Harrell obviously had the better year statistically. Freeman has all of the physical tools required to play at the pro level, which means they can focus solely on what he needs to work on fundamentally. He is technically the safer choice in pro scout eyes.

Now, I'm not saying I completely agree with their assessments, but that is how they looked at the situation.

There is a great thread going about what he did or didn't do.....the speculation, the husker on husker warfare, the smashing of dreams and loss of respect for our great leaders...........

Does anyone find it interesting that a guy who really couldn't get on the field consistently for 3 years, a guy that switched to LB for his senior year, was the guy the NFL thought was the most talented of our senior class?

Now I agree that Lucky would've gone higher if he'd have come out after his junior year but I still find it kind of intriguing that Cody was our first draftee.

Im going to keep it really simple. If the draft was based on the top players, Micheal Crabtree would have went first. like someone else had said teams choose to fit there system.

As far as Harrell is concerned, I understand what the pro scouts were thinking.

1) He is unfamiliar with under center snaps. If you want to be a good quarterback in the NFL, you need to be experienced in taking snaps from under center. Harrell took the large majority of his snaps from the shotgun, therefore there isn't a whole lot for the scouts to look at.

2) The spread offense passing game differs greatly from the pro passing game as far as routes/reads go.

3) Arm strength with spread quarterbacks is always questionable, considering they don't take a lot of shots downfield.

Now, it is probably questionable to some as why Freeman was taken when Harrell obviously had the better year statistically. Freeman has all of the physical tools required to play at the pro level, which means they can focus solely on what he needs to work on fundamentally. He is technically the safer choice in pro scout eyes.

Now, I'm not saying I completely agree with their assessments, but that is how they looked at the situation.

I agree with your assessment about Harrell. I don't think he would be a great pro QB, but I still think Leach is right on the money about the NFL's draft record. It's piss poor at best.

I agree with this for the most part, but more specifically I think it is a 50/50 deal. They judge the talent and then look at their needs, and then make a choice off of what they need and then take the best available player at the position. They go hand in hand. You need one to have the other.

I agree with this for the most part, but more specifically I think it is a 50/50 deal. They judge the talent and then look at their needs, and then make a choice off of what they need and then take the best available player at the position. They go hand in hand. You need one to have the other.

Come on, 50/50 is not agreeing with his post for the most part.

Come on, 50/50 is not agreeing with his post for the most part.

Actually I think enhance was agreeing with TT. He is just saying that talent is the initial qualifier to get on the list of players a team will consider. From that point the actual selections are based upon taking players from that list that fit the needs best, not necessarily taking the top player overall on their list.