Freshman at QB?

It's gonna be a tough situation if Spano cannot come back, which I am completely skeptical of.

Sooner or later we are gonna have that blowout game and we cannot expect Lee to stay in the entire game, so what will we do? Keep Lee in while just handing the ball off? Burn a RS year for LaTravis or Cody?

Having Witt show his true colors and Spano's injury really screwed us over at the QB position and we have little wiggle room.

Cody showed this spring why his mechanics still need alot of work and why he needs a RS year. Even LaTravis, with years from the position, has better mechanics than Cody does right now.

Watson is in love with LaTravis and thinks he can be a legitimate option for us at QB. If LaTravis had been a QB all along, we could have really had something with him. And that's not just based off of his spring game performance either.

Then there is Taylor Martinez. I know people think we promised him QB all along, but not until Spano's injury was this even discussed with him. Taylor pushed for it, but we never really entertained the idea until Spano went down. So does Taylor become the scrub duty QB? Well, possibly, if Taylor is willing to waste his career. If Taylor legitimately wants to become a collegiate level QB, he would need more work than Cody would when it comes to his mechanics.

JMO, but I'd throw Jim Ebke or Ron Kellogg out there before I'd waste a year from any of those guys. All of them need their development and to waste a year for any of them would royally suck.

But I guess we should all hope Spano gets healthy sooner rather than later so we don't have to worry about that.

Agree with most of this.

I am still not convinced that we would be hesitant to put in Latravis this year though. I honestly think he is going to be #2 either way. Kellogg did well at our QB camp which is encouraging but he will be way behind in the offense and adjusting to game speed...

Our best option might be getting Ebke back there for a #3 option to preserve a rs for Cody IMO.

BW - out of curiousity, what do you think the plan is with LT Washington? do you think they want to RS him to compete for the starting position next year and take over once Lee is gone? giving Green 2 years to potentially start?

I don't think Ebke's moving anywhere. Spano will be fine, Martinez will impress (though BW was right about his mechanics) and by the time fall rolls around we'll have more than enough depth at QB.

Lee, Spano/Washington, Green/Martinez, Kellogg Jr.

As much as I know how much crap I am gonna get for this, I will put this out there. I don't think we should even think about getting a quarterback next year. We are pretty stocked for a D1 team. Now unless we have something unfortunate happen I am hoping that Green does win the starting job. We have moved from quarterback to quarterback and can't find one that is "the one". Ganz was great for the program but I honestly thought he was an average quarterback. Don't flame me for that because we all know how hard it honestly is to even start let alone be considered average. Most people label quarterbacks that don't start as sucking. Back to the Green topic, even though he could possibly benefit from a redshirt year I think he will benefit more if he starts as early as he is capable of. We all know he is one of the more athletic quarterbacks we have. Zac Lee, I have nothing against him but he is short. Short quarterbacks don't make it as well as taller quarterbacks. If you look at Cody Green who is listed at 6' 4 and Zac Lee who is listed at 6' 2 (when I see their pictures Zac looks much shorter to me). Maybe I am believing too much in Green but I think one Summer is enough for him to show that he is a better quarterback than Zac Lee. We can't judge Green on his 3rd week of practice. Let him go through Summer and then say that he should redshirt. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, finally done with my rant :nanalama

what do you think the chances would be for Cody Green at Starting quarterback? i was watching his film and he reminded me a lot of Terrell Pryor. I think this might be our first quarterback to go out on the first day of the draft i feel that he is that good and we will soon see.

First post? Sock?

Seems like a fishing question. :dumdum

:lol: Ok, Cody...knock it off...Bo will let you know if your going to start...

I like Cody, and would not mind him playing a little this year. The kid is obviously good. He is still in highschool pretty much and missed out on his prom to play the spring game (or so I heard). If he gets a little experience there is no doubt in my mind he will be an impact player within the coming years.

As much as I know how much crap I am gonna get for this, I will put this out there. I don't think we should even think about getting a quarterback next year. We are pretty stocked for a D1 team. Now unless we have something unfortunate happen I am hoping that Green does win the starting job. We have moved from quarterback to quarterback and can't find one that is "the one". Ganz was great for the program but I honestly thought he was an average quarterback. Don't flame me for that because we all know how hard it honestly is to even start let alone be considered average. Most people label quarterbacks that don't start as sucking. Back to the Green topic, even though he could possibly benefit from a redshirt year I think he will benefit more if he starts as early as he is capable of. We all know he is one of the more athletic quarterbacks we have. Zac Lee, I have nothing against him but he is short. Short quarterbacks don't make it as well as taller quarterbacks. If you look at Cody Green who is listed at 6' 4 and Zac Lee who is listed at 6' 2 (when I see their pictures Zac looks much shorter to me). Maybe I am believing too much in Green but I think one Summer is enough for him to show that he is a better quarterback than Zac Lee. We can't judge Green on his 3rd week of practice. Let him go through Summer and then say that he should redshirt. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, finally done with my rant :nanalama

Yeah, let's start Green because he's taller!! :sarcasm

Yeah, let's start Green because he's taller!! :sarcasm

I probably didn't say it clearly enough. I don't think that Zac Lee is a great quarterback. I think he is a good quarterback but to me clearly not a great one. I see people judging Green based on his spring performance and that is not accurate. He is supposed to still be in high school, I mean seriously this kid is a good quarterback. Give him til fall and I think that the coaches will seriously see something in Green that will give him the chance to get in some games. He has natural talent that can't be taken away. I may be a little high on Green, but for what he has shown in just 1 month I think that he could very possible be the right person for the job coming this Fall. I honestly don't know why people think that the quarterback position is already sealed in Zac Lee's hands. I hope the coaches don't see it as that way.

Saved... What I want to know is how do you know Green will be a GREAT quarterback? You don't. This kid might have the size, or the arm strength or whatever but he could be just as big of a bust as any of the other flukey S.O.Bs that have come through the program or left. Everybody hailed Harrison Beck as the next great NU QB and look what he ended up doing. Until this kid gets in a game and starts playing nobody knows. College is a whole nother game.

He should redshirt, there isn't any question about that. It just gets old when we get a 4 or 5 star QB that everybody labels as the next messiah of NU football.

Saved... What I want to know is how do you know Green will be a GREAT quarterback? You don't. This kid might have the size, or the arm strength or whatever but he could be just as big of a bust as any of the other flukey S.O.Bs that have come through the program or left. Everybody hailed Harrison Beck as the next great NU QB and look what he ended up doing. Until this kid gets in a game and starts playing nobody knows. College is a whole nother game.

He should redshirt, there isn't any question about that. It just gets old when we get a 4 or 5 star QB that everybody labels as the next messiah of NU football.

:yeah That is why we have to take a QB in every class, and the best one you possibly can to boot. You just don't know who will develop properly and not have issues. As far as Green being ready to start, Saved I think you should go back through the stories on Spring Ball and read the quotes from Wats and Bo about Lee and Green, also look at the vids of Green throwing in practice vs. Lee, finally take a look at videos of the Spring Game. I was at the game in person and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Green is not ready to start. Frankly Green didn't look good until the 2nd half, and that was with the Red Team and against personnel packages on D that weren't the top 2 units. He showed some flashes, but Lee looked the part of a Stud QB and was the clear front runner for the job. My last point is, I don't get why you are rating Green ahead of Lee talent wise. Lee is faster by all accounts, heck Castille was complaining that Lee was as fast as the IBs. Lee has a live arm and can throw the ball as far as 70 yards. Heck Lee lead his JUCO team to the National Title game. Oh and let us not forget that Lee was also a 4 Star Player according to Rivals. Lee has the tools to be a very good QB for us, and if he takes control of the O during the season the way he seemingly has done this Spring, well he could be special. If Lee performs and Wats shows confidence in him by keeping the playbook open, the Offense will be special.

Sayed: I don't know if I could disagree with you more. You basically said the exact opposite of how I feel about our qb situation. (and how is playing well in high school more impressive than dominating at a juco??)

trouble: You nailed it.

Not to mention that Cody Green is two inches shorter than Pryor, and significantly slower.

Okay, I understand your point about about Cody Green needing to redshirt, but I don't agree with it just yet. As far as I know this kid is pretty good. But to judge him based on the spring game is ridiculous. We take that scrimmage so seriously, we actually believe it is a display of our talent. We have MONTHS to go and the fact that some people are already saying just give him a redshirt undermines his talent. As far as Zac Lee being the better quarterback, for now he is. The only reason for that is he knows the offense better. But does he have the potential to grow anymore? Maybe he does, and maybe he will show it this year. But I THINK, not know: He has reached his peak and he won't grow. Comparing Pryor to Green is useful. Pryor grew really fast in the system he was in and unseated the senior starter. If Green can make a few things happen over the summer, I am all for him starting. I know how a lot of people feel on this board about redshirting and so on. To me though, we only need redshirting on those who aren't big enough and good enough to play. Saying Green will redshirt, thats a little early for me. We will see how that works out though. GBR :nanalama

Okay, I understand your point about about Cody Green needing to redshirt, but I don't agree with it just yet. As far as I know this kid is pretty good. But to judge him based on the spring game is ridiculous. We take that scrimmage so seriously, we actually believe it is a display of our talent. We have MONTHS to go and the fact that some people are already saying just give him a redshirt undermines his talent. As far as Zac Lee being the better quarterback, for now he is. The only reason for that is he knows the offense better. But does he have the potential to grow anymore? Maybe he does, and maybe he will show it this year. But I THINK, not know: He has reached his peak and he won't grow. Comparing Pryor to Green is useful. Pryor grew really fast in the system he was in and unseated the senior starter. If Green can make a few things happen over the summer, I am all for him starting. I know how a lot of people feel on this board about redshirting and so on. To me though, we only need redshirting on those who aren't big enough and good enough to play. Saying Green will redshirt, thats a little early for me. We will see how that works out though. GBR :nanalama

:huh:

How on earth do you know that? Because some recruiting service told you Green has more potential?

I wish green would be like pryor, but I'm pretty sure he'll get his redshirt this year..

It's gonna be a tough situation if Spano cannot come back, which I am completely skeptical of.

Sooner or later we are gonna have that blowout game and we cannot expect Lee to stay in the entire game, so what will we do? Keep Lee in while just handing the ball off? Burn a RS year for LaTravis or Cody?

Having Witt show his true colors and Spano's injury really screwed us over at the QB position and we have little wiggle room.

Cody showed this spring why his mechanics still need alot of work and why he needs a RS year. Even LaTravis, with years from the position, has better mechanics than Cody does right now.

Watson is in love with LaTravis and thinks he can be a legitimate option for us at QB. If LaTravis had been a QB all along, we could have really had something with him. And that's not just based off of his spring game performance either.

Then there is Taylor Martinez. I know people think we promised him QB all along, but not until Spano's injury was this even discussed with him. Taylor pushed for it, but we never really entertained the idea until Spano went down. So does Taylor become the scrub duty QB? Well, possibly, if Taylor is willing to waste his career. If Taylor legitimately wants to become a collegiate level QB, he would need more work than Cody would when it comes to his mechanics.

JMO, but I'd throw Jim Ebke or Ron Kellogg out there before I'd waste a year from any of those guys. All of them need their development and to waste a year for any of them would royally suck.

But I guess we should all hope Spano gets healthy sooner rather than later so we don't have to worry about that.

Agree with most of this.

I am still not convinced that we would be hesitant to put in Latravis this year though. I honestly think he is going to be #2 either way. Kellogg did well at our QB camp which is encouraging but he will be way behind in the offense and adjusting to game speed...

Our best option might be getting Ebke back there for a #3 option to preserve a rs for Cody IMO.

BW - out of curiousity, what do you think the plan is with LT Washington? do you think they want to RS him to compete for the starting position next year and take over once Lee is gone? giving Green 2 years to potentially start?

Watson has every intention in the world to redshirt LTW. Watson absolutely loves him. LTW shined in just a few weeks, so what could he do with a year of development? That's what we want to find out.

Unless absolutely forced to, Watson will not burn LTW's redshirt, IMO.

Ebke may as well become a QB though for whoever mentioned him after I did. He isn't going to play at safety and we need QBs.

I'd almost wish they would go find a JUCO QB who can enroll. I know people do not want to waste schollies, but we REALLY need a backup QB. Spano really jacked up his knee and I don't think he'll be ready.