Things are looking up so far!

To the people saying that these polls are useless:

I don't think that these are useless because when we are ranked in the preseason, it gives players some hope for better things to happen. These polls mean squat to me, but could you honestly say that you wouldn't work harder if you had something to fight for. If you have something to uphold. Granted I don't play football but I do run. I know that if I am ranked in the 2 mile, I am going to try that much harder to beat the people ahead of me and give it my best effort. How much easier is it to get in the top 15 if you are already in the top 25? I think much easier, thinking back to 2007 when we were ranked 14th facing USC. We didn't have a top 15 team but rather enough wins and preseason ranking led to that. These polls are one way to not only to encourage players to show that they are ranked for a reason, but they also help us get onto the national stage.

To the people saying that these polls are useless:

I don't think that these are useless because when we are ranked in the preseason, it gives players some hope for better things to happen. These polls mean squat to me, but could you honestly say that you wouldn't work harder if you had something to fight for. If you have something to uphold. Granted I don't play football but I do run. I know that if I am ranked in the 2 mile, I am going to try that much harder to beat the people ahead of me and give it my best effort. How much easier is it to get in the top 15 if you are already in the top 25? I think much easier, thinking back to 2007 when we were ranked 14th facing USC. We didn't have a top 15 team but rather enough wins and preseason ranking led to that. These polls are one way to not only to encourage players to show that they are ranked for a reason, but they also help us get onto the national stage.

Pre-season polls are total crap. Ask Michigan the last 2 years. :clap

Too many things can affect what a team does during the season, including injuries, motivation, over-confidence, etc. If it was an individual sport, barring injuries, it would be easier to predict, but being a Team sport, with over 100 kids in the program, about 25-30% of which are just coming in, and could be under the radar or highly over-touted, it is too hard to predict what will happen with 95% of the NCAA teams. There are a few, that have so much talent that you do have a pretty good idea, but then a couple key injuries can really reek havoc on their programs too.

I could probably take the final poll from last year and come up with a pre-season poll for the upcoming season that would be about as accurate as what the pundits that are so-called experts could come up with.

It comes down to being able to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

I find it hard to believe that the huskers couldn't beat ECU, Utah (they lost a lot of peices), Oregon State, Cal, and Texas Tech, but hey...i'll take number 24

Texas Tech still has a couple of WR's with potential and a great QB that backed Harrel last year. I don't know much about their D, but their offense should be pretty good (like always) next year.

We also didn't lose our most productive quarterback, WR, and TE in school history, like Missouri did. Our missing pieces are easier to replace, especially considering we didn't lose as many starters.

We also didn't lose our OC to another school.

You forgot that the DC left for the NFL too...

Both replaced by long-time assistants. That's the least of Mizzou's worries.... did you happen to see the Mizzou defense, by the way... not a big loss, IMO. A little too Cosgrovian for me.

and... "Cosgrovian" is my copyrighted word. Means All F'd Up.

Tend to agree about the pre-season rankings. Interesting to read and fills the time between now and Aug, but pretty artless too.