Things are looking up so far!

I agree that preseason rankings are misleading. However, I also agree that the love-fest for Norte Dame needs to stop. I'm really not too sure how you can look at last season and put them above the likes of KU, Utah, Clemson, just to name a couple. I realize that they look at what players graduated, left early for the draft, etc. But come on, Norte Dame didn't do anything with the people that they are keeping and now saying that they are top 25 material? I realize, KU for example, loses all their LB's I believe, but they weren't as reliant on a defense that held a team to 10 points, as they had a potent offense. The 3 big studs, assuming that Briscoe is making it back (sorry haven't heard much on this for awhile), to run the offense. Sorry I'm not as in depth with a lot of the "politics" side of CFB as some of you and this is merely my opinion. :rant

Utah was at #19, but analysts love to slurp Notre Dame. Briscoe was also re-instated after Spring practice.

I agree that preseason rankings are misleading. However, I also agree that the love-fest for Norte Dame needs to stop. I'm really not too sure how you can look at last season and put them above the likes of KU, Utah, Clemson, just to name a couple. I realize that they look at what players graduated, left early for the draft, etc. But come on, Norte Dame didn't do anything with the people that they are keeping and now saying that they are top 25 material? I realize, KU for example, loses all their LB's I believe, but they weren't as reliant on a defense that held a team to 10 points, as they had a potent offense. The 3 big studs, assuming that Briscoe is making it back (sorry haven't heard much on this for awhile), to run the offense. Sorry I'm not as in depth with a lot of the "politics" side of CFB as some of you and this is merely my opinion. :rant

Utah was at #19, but analysts love to slurp Notre Dame. Briscoe was also re-instated after Spring practice.

My apologies i completely overlooked Utah at #19

I guess I like that several "pundits" are giving NU some love. Maybe I am crazy, but it makes me feel good about what I think about NU with my rose colored glasses on.

I don't know if I'd call it "love" when we're listed seven spots behind the ECU purple pirates! :rickjames But at least we're getting back on peoples radar.

LB Matthew May continued Nebraska's excellent walk-on tradition by making his case to start on the weak side.

Sounds like someones been coming to this board for there scoop. The Matt May hype has now officially gone national! :lol:

Well, last season ECU beat Virginia Tech, and VT beat... well, you know.

And we play them again when?

5 Virginia Tech

2008 Record: 10-4

Returning Starters: 16 (8 offense, 8 defense)

Key returnees: QB Tyrod Taylor, RB Darren Evans, OT Ed Wang, DE Jason Worilds, CB Stephan Virgil, S Kam Chancellor.

Spring star: LB Jake Johnson. The sophomore, who might be the Hokies' strongest player, should replace Purnell Sturdivant at the Backer position in defensive coordinator Bud Foster's scheme.

Spring recap: The Hokies found a backup for Taylor in redshirt freshman Ju-Ju Clayton, which is important given Taylor's injury history. Junior Beau Warren won the right to snap to the quarterbacks -- or to senior TE Greg Boone if the Hokies line up in the "Wild Turkey" formation.

Greg Paulus is visiting???

I thought he was going to Mechicken

Link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Nebraska Cornhuskers

2008 Record: 9-4

Returning Starters: 12 (5 offense, 7 defense)

Key returnees: DT Ndamukong Suh, S Larry Asante, G Jacob Hickman, OT Mike Smith.

Spring star: QB Zac Lee. The junior probably will still have to fight off competition for the starting job in August -- including a possible challenge from former Duke point guard Greg Paulus, who is scheduled to visit Nebraska this week -- but Lee took the biggest step this spring.

Spring recap: LB Matthew May continued Nebraska's excellent walk-on tradition by making his case to start on the weak side. Prince Amukamara and Anthony West finished spring as the favorites to start at cornerback. Junior RB Roy Helu has bulked up to 215 pounds and should replace the departed Marlon Lucky.

Also... Greg Paulus visiting here THIS WEEK? This is all news to me... What do you guys think?

Roy Helu? Is it just b/c Lucky started most every game? Henery also but i would see why they leave a kicker off that....

**EDIT**

let the KU fans b***h.. b/c they aren't ahead of us with soooooooooo much more talent... but at least they are "just missed the cut" material.. (this is in no means a shot at the KU fans on here.. most are very civil and logical....most..)

We also didn't lose our most productive quarterback, WR, and TE in school history, like Missouri did. Our missing pieces are easier to replace, especially considering we didn't lose as many starters.

We also didn't lose our OC to another school.

You forgot that the DC left for the NFL too...

Both replaced by long-time assistants. That's the least of Mizzou's worries.... did you happen to see the Mizzou defense, by the way... not a big loss, IMO. A little too Cosgrovian for me.

and... "Cosgrovian" is my copyrighted word. Means All F'd Up.

I've been using the term "cosgroved" for quite some time now and it essentially means the same as "cosgrovian."

The difference is mine functions more as a past tense verb, whereas yours seems to function in the present tense as a noun or adjective.

:dumdum

We also didn't lose our most productive quarterback, WR, and TE in school history, like Missouri did. Our missing pieces are easier to replace, especially considering we didn't lose as many starters.

We also didn't lose our OC to another school.

You forgot that the DC left for the NFL too...

Both replaced by long-time assistants. That's the least of Mizzou's worries.... did you happen to see the Mizzou defense, by the way... not a big loss, IMO. A little too Cosgrovian for me.

and... "Cosgrovian" is my copyrighted word. Means All F'd Up.

I've been using the term "cosgroved" for quite some time now and it essentially means the same as "cosgrovian."

The difference is mine functions more as a past tense verb, whereas yours seems to function in the present tense as a noun or adjective.

Are these the defensive equivalent to "Pinkeled", which I used pre-2007, as in "They ran that play? They really Pinkeled that opportunity."

Are these the defensive equivalent to "Pinkeled", which I used pre-2007, as in "They ran that play? They really Pinkeled that opportunity."

Yes.

I like that they think Texas will finish ahead of Oklahoma...but...not going to happen. I like Colt McCoy, too...but just won't happen. I have a feeling that OK State or Texas Tech may feel the pain of being in such a strong division this year and may not finish as high as the so-called pundits think. I also don't think that both Oklahoma and Texas will be in the Top 5.

If Virginia Tech loses to Nebraska, I don't think they will be in the Top 10 by the end of the season...but then they may benefit if Nebraska is able to put together a strong season with the polls.

As far as Nebraska goes, I think we will be better than last year, maybe even in the top 20 range. The direction of Nebraska's season will be determined in large part by the Virginia Tech game - and that will be a major battle at their place. If Nebraska wins that game it could give them the bounce they need to win some other big games in conference. If they lose that game, it could be a disappointing year in some regards...but we still may win the North.

It is also quite possible that Nebraska not even be in the Top 25 if they start out slow. IMHO they have to win 4 of the first 5 games, otherwise I have a hunch we will do no better than we did last season. :dumdum

Anyone confused about what I think yet? This season could go any direction... <_<