Sherman, Leach in war of words

Sherman, Leach in war of words

Updated: April 29, 2009, 1:47 PM ET

Sherman, Leach in war of wordsComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Texas A&M is scheduled to play Texas Tech on Oct. 24 in Lubbock. If the teams' respective coaches keep up their current exchange, that game could be the grudge match of the year in the Big 12.

Big 12 blog

ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network

Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman was not amused when Texas Tech coach Mike Leach brought up ex-Aggies QB Stephen McGee's draft selection in the midst of questioning NFL teams' draft decisions on the Red Raiders' star players.

And he was still not happy when Leach, despite saying he didn't intend to offend his in-state rivals, wondered aloud where Sherman would have drafted McGee -- who sat much of his senior season -- if he were still an NFL coach.

On Monday, Leach, upset that wide receiver Michael Crabtree slipped to 10th in the draft and quarterback Graham Harrell wasn't chosen at all, noted that McGee was chosen in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Leach said. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

That didn't go over so well with Sherman or McGee.

"I don't understand Coach Leach's comments about Stephen McGee," Sherman replied on Monday. "He was named our starter until he got injured. ... Coach Leach is in no position to comment about my relationship with Stephen McGee."

"I don't know where that comment came from or who it was directed at," McGee added. "But I am shocked because my time at A&M was very special to me. Obviously, I got injured, and many people think that Coach Sherman benched me. That's just not true."

Leach tried to smooth things over in reply.

"There's been far more rhetoric around this than I ever would have expected," Leach said. "Under the best of circumstances, there is some variance in how people assess and discuss quarterbacks because everybody is looking for different things."

But then he brought up McGee again.

"But based on all the fuss and commotion on this, I can't help but wonder what round Coach Sherman would have drafted Stephen McGee, given the fact he was once a head coach in the NFL," Leach added.

Sherman was not pleased.

"There is nothing Mike Leach could ever say that would offend me," Sherman said. "I do find it unfortunate, however, that a college coach feels the need to question the handling of a player by a staff particularly without any knowledge of the facts or the extent of a player's injury. It is equally bothersome that a football coach would question the draft status of a player. This doesn't make any sense to me.

"I have stated numerous times before the draft I thought Stephen McGee was a late third or early fourth-round pick. It is apparent the Dallas Cowboys felt the same way. It was a great pick."

"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Leach said. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

:lol: Now that's funny! I don't care what other people think about him, I like Leach, he cracks me up. I wish more coaches where as honest as him. Sure it comes back to haunt you every now and again, but at least his players know he'll go to bat for them.

:lol: Now that's funny! I don't care what other people think about him, I like Leach, he cracks me up. I wish more coaches where as honest as him. Sure it comes back to haunt you every now and again, but at least his players know he'll go to bat for them.

:yeah I seriously laughed out loud when I read that the first time, and am still laughing just thinking about it. Too funny!!

Those two schools HATE each other. Sherman is catching up on that quickly.

I thought it was hilarious what Leach said. But the truth is, how in the world does any team (the Cowboys in this case) pick McGee over Graham Harrell? McGee played his career in a option type offense & missed most of his senior season. Harrell was up for the heisman (finished 4th). Its really a shot at the Cowboys by Leach than anything. And he was dumbstruck at the Cowboys pick. That's how I read it. And I agree.

Those two schools HATE each other. Sherman is catching up on that quickly.

I thought it was hilarious what Leach said. But the truth is, how in the world does any team (the Cowboys in this case) pick McGee over Graham Harrell? McGee played his career in a option type offense & missed most of his senior season. Harrell was up for the heisman (finished 4th). Its really a shot at the Cowboys by Leach than anything. And he was dumbstruck at the Cowboys pick. That's how I read it. And I agree.

I definately agree with you there, it does make you scratch your head a little bit and say WTF?!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm happy for Stephen McGee, The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did.

That has to be one of the best quotes of the year thus far... :rollin:LOLtartar

Thanks for stating the blatantly obvious... :laughpound

There's been far more rhetoric around this than I ever would have expected...Under the best of circumstances, there is some variance in how people assess and discuss quarterbacks because everybody is looking for different things...But based on all the fuss and commotion on this, I can't help but wonder what round Coach Sherman would have drafted Stephen McGee, given the fact he was once a head coach in the NFL.

You know there comes a time when you should probably stop digging that hole and throw the shovel away...

:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar

I'm happy for Stephen McGee, The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did.

That has to be one of the best quotes of the year thus far... :rollin:LOLtartar

Thanks for stating the blatantly obvious... :laughpound

There's been far more rhetoric around this than I ever would have expected...Under the best of circumstances, there is some variance in how people assess and discuss quarterbacks because everybody is looking for different things...But based on all the fuss and commotion on this, I can't help but wonder what round Coach Sherman would have drafted Stephen McGee, given the fact he was once a head coach in the NFL.

You know there comes a time when you should probably stop digging that hole and throw the shovel away...

:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar

Why, this is just getting good!!!????!? I'm glad Leach has the balls to say what he thinks, especially when's he's dead-on!!