chatter about the Big 1O, again

This topic should probably be in the NCAA or recruiting forum but I digress.

Nebraska joining, or being asked to join, the Big 10+1 will never happen because:

1. Big 10+1 schools think that academically they are on par with Harvard and they erroneously think Nebraska doesn't measure up.

2. If the Big 10+1 were to want to expand to 12 teams their first choice would obviously be Notre Dame.

3. Leaving the Big 12 at this time, or even in the near future, would be a bad mistake because honestly there's nowhere else to go. The Huskers couldn't join the SEC, Pac 10, Big East or ACC because it wouldn't make sense geographically. Furthermore, the Huskers couldn't go independent because then they'd really have trouble filling their schedule. Like it or not, for the forseeable future Nebraska is stuck in the Big 12.

Notre Dame will NEVER join any conference. Know of any other school with a network TV deal to show all their games, for around 10 million / season?

I didn't say Notre Dame would join a football conference. What I did say was that the Irish would be the team that Big 10+1 officials would look at first, second and third for membership.

That's okay...I'm sure HuskerJen will be the first one to apologize after we pummel you in Lincoln this fall... <_<

Man, I can't even remember the last time that happened?

Well, according to Huskerpedia.com...the last time Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln was 1977. --->Cyclones Last Win In Lincoln

And if the Cyclones were to come into Lincoln and win this year... :laughpound ... I can't even say that without laughing.

Okay...let's try this again...

If the Cyclones were to come into Lincoln and win then I'll be the first to say congratulations, but if you're waiting for me to apologize then take a deep breath and hold it.

Now I suppose that, at some point ISU, just like Kansas, is bound to win in Lincoln but it ain't this year.

That's okay...I'm sure HuskerJen will be the first one to apologize after we pummel you in Lincoln this fall... <_<

Man, I can't even remember the last time that happened?

Well, according to Huskerpedia.com...the last time Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln was 1977. --->Cyclones Last Win In Lincoln

And in the history of the series, they have only won 6 times at Mermorial Stadium. SINCE 1896! :nanalama

Nebraska joining, or being asked to join, the Big 10+1 will never happen because:

1. Big 10+1 schools think that academically they are on par with Harvard and they erroneously think Nebraska doesn't measure up.

This actually is one of the more legit reasons why Nebraska won't join the Big 10. Granted, other than Northwestern, none of the Big 10 teams are on par with the Ivy League, but as a whole, the Big 10 is probably the second most competitive academic FBS conference (after the ACC). The Big XII may be fourth, lacking a really great academic institution and merely being made up of a number of decent to mediocre schools. Being that Nebraska isn't Texas, I don't think the Big 10 would EVER be interested in letting the Huskers join.

Another reason is the Big 10's interest in Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt as possible additions, if such an expansion would be made. They make more sense geographically, and to some degree, more sense in terms of academics.

I know many of you often laugh at my rants relating to conferences and academics, but as a student of Higher Education policy, I can assure you that these issues are MUCH more important than you might think.

P.S. For the record, I personally believe the SEC is the WORST academic BCS conference, and one of the lower tiered academic conferences in FBS.

This actually is one of the more legit reasons why Nebraska won't join the Big 10. Granted, other than Northwestern, none of the Big 10 teams are on par with the Ivy League, but as a whole, the Big 10 is probably the second most competitive academic FBS conference (after the ACC). The Big XII may be fourth, lacking a really great academic institution and merely being made up of a number of decent to mediocre schools. Being that Nebraska isn't Texas, I don't think the Big 10 would EVER be interested in letting the Huskers join.

Another reason is the Big 10's interest in Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt as possible additions, if such an expansion would be made. They make more sense geographically, and to some degree, more sense in terms of academics.

I know many of you often laugh at my rants relating to conferences and academics, but as a student of Higher Education policy, I can assure you that these issues are MUCH more important than you might think.

P.S. For the record, I personally believe the SEC is the WORST academic BCS conference, and one of the lower tiered academic conferences in FBS.

I think the PAC 10 may have a beef with this assertion.

Posted Today, 11:22 AM

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ May 4 2009, 11:06 AM)

I think the PAC 10 may have a beef with this assertion.

I agree, that's why I say probably. Big 10 is more evenly spaced; Pac 10 is more haves and have-nots. Both are pretty close though.

Your point about Northwestern is certainly valid.

However, I have never understood why the education elites, particularly those that "rank" universities always consider Nebraska to be a 2nd, or 3rd, tier school.

The University of Nebraska has colleges of: Math, Business, Journalism, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Chemistry, etc that are on par with any other school.

This is a joke so don't try and be all serious this the answer...

What's the difference between the garbage they teach you at Harvard versus the garabge they teach you at Nebraska?

I would love to bring in Arkansas or Iowa into the north, and TCU to the south... An expansion to the Big XIV wouldn't hurt us...

With the exception of expanding to 14 teams...that's a great point.

I think we should kick Baylor and Iowa State out of the Big 12 and bring in Arkansas and Iowa.

Baylor is fine. They have solid programs with baseball, Track and field, womens basketball, womens softball, mens basketball, and this past year competed well in football. They're not going anywhere anytime soon.. especially based on single sport alone. Even if they tanked in football the past 10-15 years.

This isnt a slam on your opinion. I just see that opinon quite a bit about the Bears without seeing the entire picture.

And yea, I'm only 90 miles away from Waco :) So that might make me a little bit biased.

Today, 02:38 PM Post #42

Travel Squad (101-300 Posts)

Group: Members

Member No.: 6442

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ May 4 2009, 09:06 AM)

However, I have never understood why the education elites, particularly those that "rank" universities always consider Nebraska to be a 2nd, or 3rd, tier school.

The University of Nebraska has colleges of: Math, Business, Journalism, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Chemistry, etc that are on par with any other school.

What's the difference between the garbage they teach you at Harvard versus the garabge they teach you at Nebraska?

I would argue against this point being that Nebraska doesn't have colleges of Math, Computer Science, or Chemistry, but I guess that's probably beside the point.

Today, 02:38 PM Post #42

Travel Squad (101-300 Posts)

Group: Members

Member No.: 6442

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ May 4 2009, 09:06 AM)

I would argue against this point being that Nebraska doesn't have colleges of Math, Computer Science, or Chemistry, but I guess that's probably beside the point.

Okay, those may be departments within a college, but the point remains the same.

Big 10+1 schools think, quite erroneously, they are far superior in academics to UNL when nothing could be further from the truth.

Furthermore, I'll put my degree in Journalism & Mass Communications from the University Nebraska up against anyone with a comparable degree from any school.