chatter about the Big 1O, again

That's okay...I'm sure HuskerJen will be the first one to apologize after we pummel you in Lincoln this fall... <_<

Man, I can't even remember the last time that happened?

Well, according to Huskerpedia.com...the last time Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln was 1977. --->Cyclones Last Win In Lincoln

And if the Cyclones were to come into Lincoln and win this year... :laughpound ... I can't even say that without laughing.

Okay...let's try this again...

If the Cyclones were to come into Lincoln and win then I'll be the first to say congratulations, but if you're waiting for me to apologize then take a deep breath and hold it.

Now I suppose that, at some point ISU, just like Kansas, is bound to win in Lincoln but it ain't this year.

I will GUARANTEE our football team doesn't break that streak this year ;)

Today, 02:38 PM Post #42

Travel Squad (101-300 Posts)

Group: Members

Member No.: 6442

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ May 4 2009, 09:06 AM)

Nebraska joining, or being asked to join, the Big 10+1 will never happen because:

1. Big 10+1 schools think that academically they are on par with Harvard and they erroneously think Nebraska doesn't measure up.

This actually is one of the more legit reasons why Nebraska won't join the Big 10. Granted, other than Northwestern, none of the Big 10 teams are on par with the Ivy League, but as a whole, the Big 10 is probably the second most competitive academic FBS conference (after the ACC). The Big XII may be fourth, lacking a really great academic institution and merely being made up of a number of decent to mediocre schools. Being that Nebraska isn't Texas, I don't think the Big 10 would EVER be interested in letting the Huskers join.

Your point about Northwestern is certainly valid.

However, I have never understood why the education elites, particularly those that "rank" universities always consider Nebraska to be a 2nd, or 3rd, tier school.

The University of Nebraska has colleges of: Math, Business, Journalism, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Chemistry, etc that are on par with any other school.

This is a joke so don't try and be all serious this the answer...

What's the difference between the garbage they teach you at Harvard versus the garabge they teach you at Nebraska?

I would argue against this point being that Nebraska doesn't have colleges of Math, Computer Science, or Chemistry, but I guess that's probably beside the point.

Okay, those may be departments within a college, but the point remains the same.

Big 10+1 schools think, quite erroneously, they are far superior in academics to UNL when nothing could be further from the truth.

Furthermore, I'll put my degree in Journalism & Mass Communications from the University Nebraska up against anyone with a comparable degree from any school.

I know it is not at UNL, but name me a Big 10 school with a better Medical Center (besides Northwestern, obviously) than Nebraska.......

I think you would be hard pressed, considering it is the world destination for many of those with transplant needs. It has the world's foremost expert on Hodgkin's disease and Lymphoma that the Mayo clinic turns to for advice.

That should get us some points.

Nebraska joining, or being asked to join, the Big 10+1 will never happen because:

1. Big 10+1 schools think that academically they are on par with Harvard and they erroneously think Nebraska doesn't measure up.

This actually is one of the more legit reasons why Nebraska won't join the Big 10. Granted, other than Northwestern, none of the Big 10 teams are on par with the Ivy League, but as a whole, the Big 10 is probably the second most competitive academic FBS conference (after the ACC). The Big XII may be fourth, lacking a really great academic institution and merely being made up of a number of decent to mediocre schools. Being that Nebraska isn't Texas, I don't think the Big 10 would EVER be interested in letting the Huskers join.

However, I have never understood why the education elites, particularly those that "rank" universities always consider Nebraska to be a 2nd, or 3rd, tier school.

The University of Nebraska has colleges of: Math, Business, Journalism, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Chemistry, etc that are on par with any other school.

What's the difference between the garbage they teach you at Harvard versus the garabge they teach you at Nebraska?

I would argue against this point being that Nebraska doesn't have colleges of Math, Computer Science, or Chemistry, but I guess that's probably beside the point.

Okay, those may be departments within a college, but the point remains the same.

Big 10+1 schools think, quite erroneously, they are far superior in academics to UNL when nothing could be further from the truth.

Furthermore, I'll put my degree in Journalism & Mass Communications from the University Nebraska up against anyone with a comparable degree from any school.

I know it is not at UNL, but name me a Big 10 school with a better Medical Center (besides Northwestern, obviously) than Nebraska.......

I think you would be hard pressed, considering it is the world destination for many of those with transplant needs. It has the world's foremost expert on Hodgkin's disease and Lymphoma that the Mayo clinic turns to for advice.

I think Iowa perhaps...it's quite famous for its medical reputation.

I believe they use incarcerated football players as guinea pigs for their evil experiments....

QUOTE(HuskerJen @ May 4 2009, 04:24 PM)

QUOTE(UGAHusker @ May 4 2009, 03:20 PM)

Well, the Big 10 actually has six schools with better medical centers than Nebraska. You also forget that Michigan's Med. center is better than Northwestern's. Then again, I thought we were only looking at the undergraduate reputations of the schools in question.

You all are losing focus here. The real reason that the Big 11 want to keep this system is because they benefit doubly with the Rose Bowl selecting one of their teams automatically, and usually one of their other team falls to another BCS bowl. If those teams had to play for the conf. championship then they would more than likely just be eliminating their conf. opponents from the better bowls.

Need proof? Then guess which conf. has the most BCS bowl berths. You guessed it, the Big 11 with 18. Just look at how many times OSU fell into the title game because they where the only team near the top that didn't have to play a meaningful game late in the season. Hell, even USC schedules cupcakes to tee off on in late November!

1. Big 10+1 schools think that academically Nebraska doesn't measure up.

2. If the Big 10+1 were to want to expand to 12 teams their first choice would obviously be Notre Dame.

:yeah

• 2 months later...

If we move to the Big 1O Conference, what's going to happen to all those Texas recruits? It's one thing to be a midwest school like Nebraska. Still not too far from home. Still get to play in the Lone Star State, complete with plenty of rabid Husker fans of its own.

Whole 'nother deal to be playing in the Rust Belt. Columbus, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, Madison, Champagne?

Puleeeeeeze. I freeze my balls off just thinking about those places.

And that new Jerry Jones stadium thing ain't no bad lick either. It's like an extra bowl game!!! No offense to Arrowhead, but in the dead of winter, that's not the place. Jerry Jones stadium will allow a bunch more TX recruits to come see the 'Skers kick some big time booty!!!

Our recruiting would be damaged to a point where we would be a top 30 team at best FROM NOW ON, with no hope of ever sniffing the top 10 again.

I must disagree with you on this for two reasons.

1) Even though Ohio State has a knack for blowing it in big BCS bowl games recently, are you saying they can't recruit and neither can the Big 10+1 in general? If so, you are poorly mistaken. Lets take a look at the 2009 recruiting rankings: #1-Ohio State, #4-Michigan, #10-Michigan State, #19-Penn State. Now I'm not saying that I put a lot into recruiting rankings, but statistically speaking four of the Top 25 recruiting classes came out of the Big 10.

2) If those four teams can still get highly touted recruits, whats to say Nebraska can't? Our traditions are just on par with OSU and Michigan if not slightly better in some areas. We would have equal opportunities against many recruits which means we would get at least a few to pull through for us.

Further more, we also can't argue that it would be harder because of those teams because I think we have the toughest conference to recruit in. Texas, Oklahoma, and a lot of the other Texas schools get the pick of the litter and then everybody else gets left overs. We have to go up against them every year in recruiting. I would almost argue it would be easier to recruit if we were in the Big 10.

I'm definitely not saying we should go to the Big 10 because I would not like it at all, but the recruiting point you made just baffles my mind.

If we move to the Big 1O Conference, what's going to happen to all those Texas recruits?It's one thing to be a midwest school like Nebraska. Still not too far from home. Still get to play in the Lone Star State, complete with plenty of rabid Husker fans of its own.

Whole 'nother deal to be playing in the Rust Belt. Columbus, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, Madison, Champagne?

Puleeeeeeze. I freeze my balls off just thinking about those places.

And that new Jerry Jones stadium thing ain't no bad lick either. It's like an extra bowl game!!! No offense to Arrowhead, but in the dead of winter, that's not the place. Jerry Jones stadium will allow a bunch more TX recruits to come see the 'Skers kick some big time booty!!!

Answer: You don't having to worry, because we are not going anywhere.

/thread

I too think that going to the Big 10 would be a mistake, but this conference is really Texas-centric at this point. The whole idea just pushed the other day of moving the conference game permanently to Dallas makes me upset enough that NU really should threaten leaving the conference if they implement it. Not to mention that we kind of got screwed when the league formed bc all the other teams in the big 8 hated us so much that they joined forces with the swc people and made rules that probably contributed to our decline. If we went to the Big 10 we would be more dominant in our conference and get better rankings and bowls but I think our bowl record might suffer. The best answer is for the current coaching staff to just continue getting things in gear and just manning up and beating certain teams in this conference with regularity.

At the Little 11 meetings last week, Brewster (MN d-bag coach) was talking about how he cannot wait for a conference championship. There has been talk about possibly pulling Syracuse or Pitt from the Big East. One of these two teams does make sense to pull....to put pressure on Penn State for recruiting...

It does really piss me off that Texas is just taking everything for the conference. Why do they deserve to have the CCG? Just b/c Dallas has a new stadium and the weather is nice. Football is meant to be played outside in the elements...as much as I hate what Texas has done, the Big XII is still way above the Little 11.