Barney Cotton

I remember when Barney was announced as the O-line coach a lot of people were disappointed. Maybe disappointed isn't the right word––but concerned, anyhow. Now that we've played through season one, how would you guys grade his performance? Is Barney a bust, a hero, or just average? And how about his impact on recruiting?

I honestly don't know enough about OL technique to have a very informed opinion of him. I did like the quote from Slauson (I think) about how Cotton emphasizes results more than technique. (As in, he doesn't care if you step wrong as long as you put the right guy on his back).

But then again . . . I don't know what I'm talking about. It just sounded good to me.

I don't think our OL played any better or worse than they did under Wagner. The jury is still out on all the coaches including Cotton right now. The OL is a major concern for me this season since Ganz made a lot of plays under pressure and our running game was inconsistent.

I don't think our OL played any better or worse than they did under Wagner. The jury is still out on all the coaches including Cotton right now. The OL is a major concern for me this season since Ganz made a lot of plays under pressure and our running game was inconsistent.

The running game has to consistently put up over 200 rushing yards for me to be impressed. The running game is not yet dominant!

I don't think our OL played any better or worse than they did under Wagner. The jury is still out on all the coaches including Cotton right now.

:yeah

I think Brown, Watson, Sanders and the Pelini's had improvements from their positions but OL, LB, RB and WR stayed the same as the year before.IMO This year will be a testament of how much these position coaches are worth because the OL has to replace the whole right side, the LB's will be really young and untested, and the WR's will have to make up for Swift/Peterson.

I'm going to contrast the '07 season and the '08 season:

Rushing stats from 2007:

Runs resulting in 1st downs.. 89

RUSHING YARDAGE............ 1733

Yards gained rushing........ 1939

Yards lost rushing.......... 206

Rushing Attempts............ 417

Average Per Rush............ 4.2

Average Per Game............ 144.4

TDs Rushing................. 19

2007 Rushing Stats

Rushing stats from 2008…

Runs resulting in 1st downs.... 113

RUSHING YARDAGE............... 2207

Yards gained rushing........ 2509

Yards lost rushing.......... 302

Rushing Attempts............ 486

Average Per Rush............ 4.5

Average Per Game............ 169.8

TDs Rushing................. 27

2008 Rushing Stats

So what do these numbers mean?

There was improvement in...

* The number of 1st downs by rushing

* The total amount of yards gained

* There was an increase in yards per attempt

* The average yards per game went up

* They scored more rushing TD's

So there you have it...improvement in running the football in practically every category but you don't see any difference between the former OL coach and Coach Cotton.

:LOLtartar

Stats against Bowl teams: 235 attempts for 833 yards - 3.5 per attempt

Stats against bad teams: 251 attempts for 1374 yards - 5.4 per attempt

What does it mean? Who knows. Didn't this years team give up more sacks then last years?

It means that, if you so desire, you can bend stats to fit whatever agenda it is you are pushing. And please note I'm not accusing you of pushing any anti-Cotton agenda I'm simply making a more general point.

I took the exact same stats from one year and contrasted them with the next year so the comparison is fair. I don't think Nebraska lost anyone to graduation from '07 to '08 (I may be forgetting someone though).

The only thing that changed, as far as my memory can recall, was the OL coach and philosophy.

Besides, isn't it likely, nay probable, that Nebraska's rushing yards, and yards per attempt, would be lower versus Oklahoma than say Western Michigan?

And, one more point...the increased production in the running game came on the heels of OC Shawn Watson moving to a more shotgun spread approach with the offense.

The bottom line: While the increases in the production of the running game wasn't as large, or dramatic, as some fans would like...

For someone to say there was (or is) no real difference between the former OL coach and Barney Cotton; and the performance of the OL from '07 to '08 is laughable at best because the difference is as plain as night and day.

I honestly don't know enough about OL technique to have a very informed opinion of him. I did like the quote from Slauson (I think) about how Cotton emphasizes results more than technique. (As in, he doesn't care if you step wrong as long as you put the right guy on his back).

But then again . . . I don't know what I'm talking about. It just sounded good to me.

I never saw that quote, and it makes no sense. You must gap protect with your first step. First step wins, second step ties. Even in the zone blocking scheme your first step is everything. As a OL your first and second step sets up everything, direction, power etc.

I played OL all through HS and at USD and coach OL in HS and I can't ever think when I might have heard that technique taught by any of my coaches or at a coaching clinic.

I thought the OL played fair last year but it really was inconsistent which is a mark of a OL that is not real clear of what they are supposed to do. The POA bloacks were good, but they couldn't pull consistently because there was so much penetration from the playside.

I am expecting or at least hopeful for marked improvements this year.

I'm going to contrast the '07 season and the '08 season:

Rushing stats from 2007:

Runs resulting in 1st downs.. 89

RUSHING YARDAGE............ 1733

Yards gained rushing........ 1939

Yards lost rushing.......... 206

Rushing Attempts............ 417

Average Per Rush............ 4.2

Average Per Game............ 144.4

TDs Rushing................. 19

2007 Rushing Stats

Rushing stats from 2008…

Runs resulting in 1st downs.... 113

RUSHING YARDAGE............... 2207

Yards gained rushing........ 2509

Yards lost rushing.......... 302

Rushing Attempts............ 486

Average Per Rush............ 4.5

Average Per Game............ 169.8

TDs Rushing................. 27

2008 Rushing Stats

So what do these numbers mean?

There was improvement in...

* The number of 1st downs by rushing

* The total amount of yards gained

* There was an increase in yards per attempt

* The average yards per game went up

* They scored more rushing TD's

So there you have it...improvement in running the football in practically every category but you don't see any difference between the former OL coach and Coach Cotton.

:LOLtartar

The only big difference in our run game is that we were not playing from behind every game like we were in '07.

How many games did we completely abandon the run for the pass because we got down by so much in the blink of an eye?

I never saw that quote, and it makes no sense. You must gap protect with your first step. First step wins, second step ties. Even in the zone blocking scheme your first step is everything. As a OL your first and second step sets up everything, direction, power etc.

I played OL all through HS and at USD and coach OL in HS and I can't ever think when I might have heard that technique taught by any of my coaches or at a coaching clinic.

I thought the OL played fair last year but it really was inconsistent which is a mark of a OL that is not real clear of what they are supposed to do. The POA bloacks were good, but they couldn't pull consistently because there was so much penetration from the playside.

I wasn't defending it, and I pointed out that I don't know much about OL technique. (I played DE so that's a little more familiar to me.)

I'll see if I can find the article for you. Maybe someone else has it if I can't find it? It might have been when he was on Bigred wrapup and not in an article...either way I'll try.

I wasn't defending it, and I pointed out that I don't know much about OL technique. (I played DE so that's a little more familiar to me.)

I'll see if I can find the article for you. Maybe someone else has it if I can't find it? It might have been when he was on Bigred wrapup and not in an article...either way I'll try.

I wasn't attcking you, relax.