Barney Cotton

I’m on record multiple times saying that I thought the Barney hire was “ole boy networking” at its best. We had too much of that from 04-07 and look where it got us. I questioned the Barney hire in 03 as OC :blink: and I questioned bringing him back. I don’t have the time to get into this debate again. I will ask this though:

If the line struggles for the next few years will Bo have the balls to let Barney go or will we be stuck with another Cally situation where he won’t fire his friends? :dunno

I’m also not for the following Bo blindly stuff. If I can question the direction the President of the United States :bang is taking this Great Country and the one I love I can question the decisions of the Head Coach of this Great University and Team that I love. They both have my support though because at the end of the day that is the way it has to be.

Keep on rockin in the free world. :horns2

T.O. let coaches go that he had shared a bond with. Here is what will most likely happen if the line doesn't produce in the next couple years: Pelini will go to T.O. for advice (given T.O. is still the AD), he will tell Pelini do what is best for the team and not for himself, and Bo will fire Cotton (again, this is if the line doesn't produce).

Define and quantify "stuggles."

See last year’s stats against “good” teams. If it continues then I would say that is struggling. I would also say the inability to run out of power sets would define struggling.

No one that I can see is saying you should follow blindly.

Bottom line: For me, Bo thinks Barney is a great football coach and can get the job done. That's good enough for me.

Look up 4 posts from your last one.

Also wouldn't you saying since Bo thinks he is great is good enough for me kind of following him blindly?

Define and quantify "stuggles."

See last year’s stats against “good” teams. If it continues then I would say that is struggling. I would also say the inability to run out of power sets would define struggling.

No one that I can see is saying you should follow blindly.

Bottom line: For me, Bo thinks Barney is a great football coach and can get the job done. That's good enough for me.

Look up 4 posts from your last one.

Also wouldn't you saying since Bo thinks he is great is good enough for me kind of following him blindly?

Okay what's your definition of a "good" team? The conference they play in? Their overall record? Their statistical ranking in run defense?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just want you to fully explain the parameters of your position so there's no misunderstandings later.

No, I'm saying that since Bo thinks that Cotton is a great football coach, and there's absolutely no evidence to the contrary at this time, I'm giving Bo, Barney and all the rest of the coaches the benefit of doubt.

I think Cotton is fine right now. From what I remember seeing, the line play was decent enough to be in the middle of the pack of the Big 12. If you want to be a top 10 team in the Nation, the hogs up front have to be better than that. Dominate the line of scrimmage whether its run or pass blocking. I really look forward to this years line. Not to be too critical here, but the fellas that played a lot over the past past several years -Murtha, Slauson, Huff, Christensen, Hickman, Byford, Austin, Carl Nicks, these guys were solid college lineman that did well at times throughout their careers, but mostly against teams the Huskers were favored to win. Regardless if it was Cotton or Wagner.

Hopefully the coaching (Cotton) can get these new guys to play to their capability, and that their capability is better than what we've seen the past several years.

Okay what's your definition of a "good" team? The conference they play in? Their overall record? Their statistical ranking in run defense?

Stats against Bowl teams: 235 attempts for 833 yards - 3.5 per attempt

W.Michigan, Va Tech, Mizzou, KU, OU, Texas Tech, Clemson

Does making a bowl make a team "good"? Not always. However that is what helps a teams strength of schedule so that is what I used here.

I'm not saying Barney can't produce a good line, I just have my concerns. I truly hope he proves me wrong because if he does then that means good things for the team I love.

Stats against Bowl teams: 235 attempts for 833 yards - 3.5 per attempt

W.Michigan, Va Tech, Mizzou, KU, OU, Texas Tech, Clemson

Does making a bowl make a team "good"? Not always. However that is what helps a teams strength of schedule so that is what I used here.

I'm not saying Barney can't produce a good line, I just have my concerns. I truly hope he proves me wrong because if he does then that means good things for the team I love.

Fair enough.

I’m on record multiple times saying that I thought the Barney hire was “ole boy networking” at its best. We had too much of that from 04-07 and look where it got us. I questioned the Barney hire in 03 as OC :blink: and I questioned bringing him back. I don’t have the time to get into this debate again. I will ask this though:

If the line struggles for the next few years will Bo have the balls to let Barney go or will we be stuck with another Cally situation where he won’t fire his friends? :dunno

I’m also not for the following Bo blindly stuff. If I can question the direction the President of the United States :bang is taking this Great Country and the one I love I can question the decisions of the Head Coach of this Great University and Team that I love. They both have my support though because at the end of the day that is the way it has to be.

I said this before and got hammered for it. People must like you better than me. :P

I said this before and got hammered for it. People must like you better than me. :P

How could anybody dislike you, Willie?

I think I am on the "wait and see" side of things. Cotton hasn't coached any kids he brought in, but I feel he has done an okay job with what he has. Not something I will stand back in awe about, but not horrible either.

I will be anxious to see what some of these new o-linemen can do.